Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
Re: Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements

blue underpants said:
Graham Hunter on talkshite just now, I don't think the board at City are looking to replace Pellegrini but if they do the man to come in has not been even mentioned in the English media yet
My mate has heard it's Conte of Juve and he does get quite a few things right

Conte is very good but I'm afraid he's a bit like Pellegrini since almost all of his success has been domestic. He can definitely help us defensively though, I should add.

de niro said:
right now i'd take anyone and i mean anyone. i like pellers but someone down there doesnt. its clearly not working. these players are top top players, something behind the scenes is affecting our play. sadly in all these cases the manager has to go. if we want to get ANYTHING from the season it has to be today. not after barca, today. paddy till the summer then appoint someone who is younger, hungrier and a little bit less nice.

Totally agree. I can't see why they are dithering. Whoever comes in can't do any worse than he is.

Damocles said:
Just a small point too - Begiristain and Soriano faced this issue previously.

At the end of the 07/08 season, Barca were struggling under Rijkaard since Xmas and there was a feeling that he had lost the dressing room due to his management of Ronaldinho and a couple of others.

Cruyff and others including Soriano wanted to sack him in the February/March and replace him but Txiki Begiristain politicked extremely hard against this to the point where there were rumours in the Spanish press that he was willing to put his job on the line for it.

Begiristain was a big advocate of Pep taking over who was in charge of the B Team at the time, but said that parachuting him in with a few games left would be disastrous for both the club and the future of a manager they wanted. Instead they should let the season play out as it was going to play out, then give Guardiola the reigns instead of putting him in an unwinnable scenario. Barca finished third that year which was by no means a foregone conclusion and obviously Guardiola came in the next summer.

My point is that this has happened before with the exact same decision makers in charge and they all seemed to recognise the value of waiting instead of potentially wrecking a new manager's start. The idea that we'll sack Pellegrini before the end of the season is an massive long shot for my money.

9 times out of 10 that's the right thing to do. The only concern is that it is clear for all to see that our players want to win the CL. They don't seem too concerned about winning the prem again, they are certainly not going to fight for it. There was definitely a half arsed approach on the pitch on Saturday. Most wanted to keep fresh for the CL. If we go out of the CL how much fight is there to finish in the top 4. People might say there's no way we'll not be in the top 4 - but look at how poor we've been since Jan. The other teams are showing form at the right time and we are looking so easy to beat.

The only thing that can save this season now is beating Barcelona and putting in a real performance. You can see that the manager has tried to mix things up but the players are letting us down. People talk about formations but we've seen the 4-4-2 blow almost every team apart when the players do their jobs correctly. It doesn't matter who the manager is, if this bunch of players isn't addressed then we are in trouble. It's time to mix things up, to lower the age and to ensure only the fighters remain at the club. I'm more concerned by the players than the manager at the moment. We've seen two contrasting managerial approaches get the same out of them... tough love didn't work... praise and trust hasn't worked either.

We can't be sacking Pellegrini now though - this is a big summer and we need to show a long term strategy to attract the best players. Fortunately, if Vieira was seen as the man to step up - his name alone could bring several top quality players to our club.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
de niro said:
right now i'd take anyone and i mean anyone. i like pellers but someone down there doesnt. its clearly not working. these players are top top players, something behind the scenes is affecting our play. sadly in all these cases the manager has to go. if we want to get ANYTHING from the season it has to be today. not after barca, today. paddy till the summer then appoint someone who is younger, hungrier and a little bit less nice.

Totally agree. I can't see why they are dithering. Whoever comes in can't do any worse than he is.

Courtesy for his time at the club or last chance saloon.

Sergi0 Na5r1 said:
blue underpants said:
Graham Hunter on talkshite just now, I don't think the board at City are looking to replace Pellegrini but if they do the man to come in has not been even mentioned in the English media yet
My mate has heard it's Conte of Juve and he does get quite a few things right

Conte is very good but I'm afraid he's a bit like Pellegrini since almost all of his success has been domestic. He can definitely help us defensively though I should add.

Also here is a fair analysis on Conte I reading around this time last year:
<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1941932-serie-a-juventus-should-not-extend-antonio-contes-contract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1941 ... s-contract</a>

If as we are led to believe the gloves are off financially and we are able to go very big again in the market this summer, i would honestly listen to any big offers for any of our big players if it meant the squad is stronger in the long term. We have reached the end of the line for many and age is becoming a big factor as is many of them becoming a little stale.

No one should be safe, no one.

Damocles said:
hgblue said:
Mister Appointment said:
Never gonna happen though Bill. And I'm not sure if these top top players are as top top as we think. Top top players don't as often let the arse fall out of their performances as this lot have. Forced myself to rewatch the Burnley game last night and all I can say is our top top players were a fucking disgrace. Absolute fucking disgrace.

This morning I feel like if Pellegrini goes this summer there better be four or five of our so called top tops following him out the door the fucking twats.

Who's that then? Kompany? Silva? Aguero? Yaya? Total madness. The manager has lost the dressing room and the players have lost confidence that he knows what he's doing. It's clear for all to see.

If two successive managers have lost the dressing room coincidentally in the season after they win a league title, then we should be looking at the players. they're the constant here. we've already switched managers and the same thing has happened again.

And if it was clear for all to see then these threads would be much shorter

This remains very much my point of view and I am not making excuses for Pellegrini (I think he has faults and by no means does he do everything the way I would prefer) but there is no excusing the sort of display the players gave against Burnley with any ot the manager's actions. I could give a stuff if, for example, Silva's best position is not wide left: he has played there often enough, he gets license to drift anyway, he is supposed to be a top top player, it's a team game and you cannot always play in your preferred role.... When you go out on that pitch with a City shirt on, the first thing that is expected of you is to put in a shift that at least matches your opponents; no excuses, none, nada.

blueinsa said:
If as we are led to believe the gloves are off financially and we are able to go very big again in the market this summer, i would honestly listen to any big offers for any of our big players if it meant the squad is stronger in the long term. We have reached the end of the line for many and age is becoming a big factor as is many of them becoming a little stale.

No one should be safe, no one.

I agree. I'd still be very wary of letting Silva or Sergio go; especially Sergio but Silva - as Tolmie pointed out yesterday cruises upon occasion - too many of them for my liking. Sergio is one player who I can accept not running around like a blue arsed fly: his job is about exploding into action when he is fed the ball in the right areas.

OB1 said:
Damocles said:
hgblue said:
Who's that then? Kompany? Silva? Aguero? Yaya? Total madness. The manager has lost the dressing room and the players have lost confidence that he knows what he's doing. It's clear for all to see.

If two successive managers have lost the dressing room coincidentally in the season after they win a league title, then we should be looking at the players. they're the constant here. we've already switched managers and the same thing has happened again.

And if it was clear for all to see then these threads would be much shorter

This remains very much my point of view and I am not making excuses for Pellegrini (I think he has faults and by no means does he do everything the way I would prefer) but there is no excusing the sort of display the players gave against Burnley with any ot the manager's actions. I could give a stuff if, for example, Silva's best position is not wide left: he has played there often enough, he gets license to drift anyway, he is supposed to be a top top player, it's a team game and you cannot always play in your preferred role.... When you go out on that pitch with a City shirt on, the first thing that is expected of you is to put in a shift that at least matches your opponents; no excuses, none, nada.

Do people really believe that players take the field with the intention of playing badly? To not try? To not control straight forward passes? To miss chances? To not defend properly? If there is a disconnect between manager and team it tends to manifest itself in poor performance and this happens at all levels and in all sports.

supercity88 said:
Damocles said:
Just a small point too - Begiristain and Soriano faced this issue previously.

At the end of the 07/08 season, Barca were struggling under Rijkaard since Xmas and there was a feeling that he had lost the dressing room due to his management of Ronaldinho and a couple of others.

Cruyff and others including Soriano wanted to sack him in the February/March and replace him but Txiki Begiristain politicked extremely hard against this to the point where there were rumours in the Spanish press that he was willing to put his job on the line for it.

Begiristain was a big advocate of Pep taking over who was in charge of the B Team at the time, but said that parachuting him in with a few games left would be disastrous for both the club and the future of a manager they wanted. Instead they should let the season play out as it was going to play out, then give Guardiola the reigns instead of putting him in an unwinnable scenario. Barca finished third that year which was by no means a foregone conclusion and obviously Guardiola came in the next summer.

My point is that this has happened before with the exact same decision makers in charge and they all seemed to recognise the value of waiting instead of potentially wrecking a new manager's start. The idea that we'll sack Pellegrini before the end of the season is an massive long shot for my money.

9 times out of 10 that's the right thing to do. The only concern is that it is clear for all to see that our players want to win the CL. They don't seem too concerned about winning the prem again, they are certainly not going to fight for it. There was definitely a half arsed approach on the pitch on Saturday. Most wanted to keep fresh for the CL. If we go out of the CL how much fight is there to finish in the top 4. People might say there's no way we'll not be in the top 4 - but look at how poor we've been since Jan. The other teams are showing form at the right time and we are looking so easy to beat.

The only thing that can save this season now is beating Barcelona and putting in a real performance. You can see that the manager has tried to mix things up but the players are letting us down. People talk about formations but we've seen the 4-4-2 blow almost every team apart when the players do their jobs correctly. It doesn't matter who the manager is, if this bunch of players isn't addressed then we are in trouble. It's time to mix things up, to lower the age and to ensure only the fighters remain at the club. I'm more concerned by the players than the manager at the moment. We've seen two contrasting managerial approaches get the same out of them... tough love didn't work... praise and trust hasn't worked either.

We can't be sacking Pellegrini now though - this is a big summer and we need to show a long term strategy to attract the best players. Fortunately, if Vieira was seen as the man to step up - his name alone could bring several top quality players to our club.

I don't see us sacking Pellegrini now and I think it would be the wrong move. I am less sure that he will survive the summer but I do continue to believe that the players are the bigger issue. Let's hope that they have enough about them to be bothered to ensure we finish top four.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.