Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Neville Kneville said:
There is a further possibility regarding Pep at Bayern, where they offer him a new deal but don't make it public. He tells them that he is not willing to sign & they look for a new manager during the course of next season, whilst in public stating that all negotiations with Pep will be done at the end of the season, as agreed when he originally signed.

It didn't do them any harm when the last manager was planning on leaving, they won everything then replaced him with Pep Guardiola.

I'm not sure clubs abroad buy into the English way of thinking that you 'can't' do this & you 'have to ' do that. If they fancy having Pep for one more season whilst they find a replacement, I recon they will just do exactly that.

The question imo is whether they sack him if they don't win the CL. Then if they do, whether Pep would be willing to take over at a club, who sack their manager. I think he probably won't.

I think our only chance is likely to be by keeping Pellegrini on for one more season. Then Pep takes over amicably. I imagine he will let Txiki know soon enough what his intentions are, if he hasn't already, & that may decide the immediate future of Pellegrini.

Not a chance.

Pep signing a deal in secret or in public would be the absolute end of him ever coming to City.

I doubt very much City would want to pay the best part of a new £30m compensation package to Bayern, especially so, when Guardiola would have demonstrated his lack of appetite for the City job by signing a deal which makes it even more cost-prohibitive, and all this despite being supposedly Txiki's best pal.

Plus you cant really compare Heynckes' last season with Pep's one (in NK's scenario).

Re Heynckes, he was retiring, so given the already positive bond that squad had at the time, the final season under him would have encouraged the squad to give it their all for his final swansong - and they win the treble.

If Pep was to turn Munich's renewal offer down, with a view to taking over City 12 months later, I'd imagine they'd want City coming in for him straight away to not only pick up some form of compo, but also that they wouldn't want the club managed by someone who is moving to a European rival with the finiancial muscle to compete with them.

I honestly dont envisage a scenario whereby Pep stays at Munich for 12 months and then joins City. He either joins you this season, or that's it.

blueparrot said:
OB1 said:
blueparrot said:
As one that would prefer Pep to Klopp, whats your opinion on waiting a year, if it was a choice between Klopp now or Pellegrini for a season and Pep the next year which would you go for. I can't make my mind up which I would prefer. Assuming Pep was guaranteed, I know we can't know that and only a handful of people could know.

That is a tricky one and I am glad that I would not in reality have to make that call. Of course the question might be much easier for Txiki to conclude on, for many reasons.

I would prefer Klopp to Pellegrini and that has long been the case but I am not as down on MP as many are. If he shows more signs of the pragmatism in his formation that he displayed at the weekend, I would be even less down on him. I think that with the right changes to the squad in the summer, changes we need regardless of manager, he would have us in contention for the title and at worst top four; obviously, he needs to finish this season well enough to back such claims up.

Therefore, if Pep was a dead cert to arrive in summer 2016, I would be inclined to wait but in reality that would be a huge risk (i.e. I don't see how he can be certain to move to us) and that would make me jump for Klopp. Bit of a hedged answer but I frequently tend to view the world as shades of gray rather than black and white.

Think I'm in exactly the same place as you are with it, lets just say if Pelligrini is with us next season with a rejuvinated team I wouldn't be too disappointed , unless at the end of next season we end up with somebody else not as good as Klopp.

Doesn't work. No team, rejuvenated or not, will play at the maximum we require if they know the manager is just holding on for 12 months.

And that goes for Bayern, or anyone else.

Latics Fan SJK said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Neville Kneville said:
There is a further possibility regarding Pep at Bayern, where they offer him a new deal but don't make it public. He tells them that he is not willing to sign & they look for a new manager during the course of next season, whilst in public stating that all negotiations with Pep will be done at the end of the season, as agreed when he originally signed.

It didn't do them any harm when the last manager was planning on leaving, they won everything then replaced him with Pep Guardiola.

I'm not sure clubs abroad buy into the English way of thinking that you 'can't' do this & you 'have to ' do that. If they fancy having Pep for one more season whilst they find a replacement, I recon they will just do exactly that.

The question imo is whether they sack him if they don't win the CL. Then if they do, whether Pep would be willing to take over at a club, who sack their manager. I think he probably won't.

I think our only chance is likely to be by keeping Pellegrini on for one more season. Then Pep takes over amicably. I imagine he will let Txiki know soon enough what his intentions are, if he hasn't already, & that may decide the immediate future of Pellegrini.

Not a chance.

Pep signing a deal in secret or in public would be the absolute end of him ever coming to City.

I doubt very much City would want to pay the best part of a new £30m compensation package to Bayern, especially so, when Guardiola would have demonstrated his lack of appetite for the City job by signing a deal which makes it even more cost-prohibitive, and all this despite being supposedly Txiki's best pal.

Plus you cant really compare Heynckes' last season with Pep's one (in NK's scenario).

Re Heynckes, he was retiring, so given the already positive bond that squad had at the time, the final season under him would have encouraged the squad to give it their all for his final swansong - and they win the treble.

If Pep was to turn Munich's renewal offer down, with a view to taking over City 12 months later, I'd imagine they'd want City coming in for him straight away to not only pick up some form of compo, but also that they wouldn't want the club managed by someone who is moving to a European rival with the finiancial muscle to compete with them.

I honestly dont envisage a scenario whereby Pep stays at Munich for 12 months and then joins City. He either joins you this season, or that's it.

That's pretty much the nuts of it.

All these people holding out for a 12-month booty call, not happening. Too many vested interests involved, City and elsewhere.

Guardiola is either sacked or he and Bayern come to some sort of 'arrangement' which will see us pay up the remaining 12 months of his contract as a form of compensation to Bayern.

His bluff will be called and City will find out once and for all if Guardiola ever saw City as a viable option. And Txiki would also find out much of a friend he really has.

All the while, Klopp has put himself out there and Ancelotti also joins the marketplace.

Guardiola in 12 months time doesn't add up on so many levels.

It is rare to see a club allow a manager to see out his current contract and then leave at the end of it because it instils uncertainty in the players and commonly leads to a downturn in performances. Heynckes bucked that trend somewhat but it's a rarity. When Ferguson announced in 2001 that he was retiring at the end of the 01/02 season, United's results nosedived and only picked up when he announced that he'd be staying on. With this in mind, I'm guessing when he finally did retire he purposely decided to announce it late on in the season, after they'd won the league in fact, so as not to jeopardise the impact it would have on the players.

If Pep has no intention of signing a new contract at Bayern then I'd be very surprised if they let him see next season out.

Here's a wrinkle - Brian Kidd may well retire this summer.

That leaves a rather important vacancy to fill no matter who is manager next season.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
blueparrot said:
OB1 said:
That is a tricky one and I am glad that I would not in reality have to make that call. Of course the question might be much easier for Txiki to conclude on, for many reasons.

I would prefer Klopp to Pellegrini and that has long been the case but I am not as down on MP as many are. If he shows more signs of the pragmatism in his formation that he displayed at the weekend, I would be even less down on him. I think that with the right changes to the squad in the summer, changes we need regardless of manager, he would have us in contention for the title and at worst top four; obviously, he needs to finish this season well enough to back such claims up.

Therefore, if Pep was a dead cert to arrive in summer 2016, I would be inclined to wait but in reality that would be a huge risk (i.e. I don't see how he can be certain to move to us) and that would make me jump for Klopp. Bit of a hedged answer but I frequently tend to view the world as shades of gray rather than black and white.

Think I'm in exactly the same place as you are with it, lets just say if Pelligrini is with us next season with a rejuvinated team I wouldn't be too disappointed , unless at the end of next season we end up with somebody else not as good as Klopp.

Doesn't work. No team, rejuvenated or not, will play at the maximum we require if they know the manager is just holding on for 12 months.

In the past when players have signed for a manager I think you're right, but in the age of players signed by a DOF, and shorter manager cycles I'm not sure that's still true especially for the teams at the very top, where there will be another top manager coming in. The players want to stay there and it would be just as likely the DOF would get rid of them rather than a manager. Especially European players more used to a higher coach turnover.
Didn't Jupp Heynckes win the C/L with Bayern knowing he wasn't staying ?

tolmie's hairdoo said:
blueparrot said:
OB1 said:

The downside of that is, that works the same for us as well.

fbloke said:
Here's a wrinkle - Brian Kidd may well retire this summer.

That leaves a rather important vacancy to fill no matter who is manager next season.

Aye. I wonder who will shout the subs back now and put the cones out. I like Brian but in reality that's all he has done under Pellegrini. With a new manager comes a new coaching staff. Kiddo was our only constant and whilst he would have been trusted in the dressing room etc he won't have the same responsibilities as a Cousillas.

I believe Bayern would much prefer to recoup 15m Euros (Guardiola's remaining 12-month salary) in the form of compo from City, than wanting the kudos of publicly sacking him.

I'm sure they have a fair idea if Guardiola has shown willing towards signing an extension?

And we should be simply happy with the present dynamic.

We will get a definitive answer in these next few weeks, rather than 12 months.

Either way, Pellegrini won't be retained for the hope someone else might be around in the summer of 2016.

Not when other long-term and superior appointments also exist this summer.

Uncle Wally One Ball said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
blueparrot said:

The downside of that is, that works the same for us as well.

That was my point!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.