Discussion: Txiki Begiristain (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BlueAnorak said:
Cheesy said:
None of us know his job description so we can't say exactly what he does day-to-day and what his exact responsibilities are, however I'd have thought the whole idea of having a DoF is to have continuity, thereby ensuring that we don't have to overhaul our squad on a regular basis, nevermind who the manager is or whatver other changes in personnel take place. The fact that we need a glaringly obvious overhaul of our squad this Summer says to me that (at the moment at least) he hasn't done what he's employed to do.

He's the Director of Football - The job description is standard all over Europe.
In 4 transfer windows he has delivered one very good player (Fernandinho), one good impact substitute (Navas)), a spring flower (Negredo) who bloomed and then withered + a load of squad fillers one totally dire player (Fernando) who is the worst player to arrive at the club since the 1990's.
The problem is not all of his making as we haven't bought ONE world class player since Aguero. But he hasn't done anything to address the problem. FFP hasn't helped but surely less buys of better quality + better use of youth players would have been a better use of the money.
This summer he has to address the fundamental problem by replacing YaYa with a world class player, and to purchase 4 additional players, 2 of whom have to be World class and 2 of whom have to be merely very good.

He plays Fernando in what essentially is a 4-1-5. The best holding mid in the world is going to have trouble with that.

BlueDeadHead said:
He plays Fernando in what essentially is a 4-1-5. The best holding mid in the world is going to have trouble with that.

Replace that with Fernandinho, and you will understand why a Brazilian National Team player is made to look decidedly average in the City team.....even though the fans see him as a star, or second or third best player in almost every game he plays.

Gary Neville had some very interesting and insightful comments after the Barca game re Yaya and his position in the team. In fact, even during the game he pointed out how Yaya was AHEAD OF THE BALL on a Barca throw in about 35 yards from goal. Throw was made into the space Yaya was leaving and the ball and Barca player were in behind Yaya without any effort at all.

Unfortunately, we literally carry three midfielders in almost every game. Against any kind of quality opposition, or opposition that is going to put those players under intense, "snap at yer heels," pressure, we crumble and look decidedly average.

Many years ago people questioned why we bough Nasri when he and Silva are essentially the same kind of player. Well, that has come home to roost in spades, as we search for the steel in our team to get us over the finish line.

As I said in another thread, Yaya has to be removed from 2 in the 4-2-3-1 and either benched or put in the 3 to create around the box and provide a shot threat. That means he stops being a #6 and becomes a #10. Is that what we want with Bony, Dzeko, Jovetic, Silva, Nasri all able to combine with Aguero upfront?

Is this the best we have going forward this season??

............................Hart
Zaba.........Kompany....EM/MDM.......Clichy
..........Fernandinho..........Milner
..........Silva...........Yaya........Nasri
...................Aguero

If so, then Nasri and Silva have work to do on the defensive side, other wise, they have to be withdrawn and Fernando and Navas put on, with Milner moved to left mid. The other change, Yaya off and another striker on, which means that about £80M of our supposed "world class midfield" talent become bit part players unless they put in the shift we need from them.

I dont see Yaya as a 10 anymore. I just dont see what attributes he has to play that role. I can see him as part of a 4-3-3 but not in a 3 with any of the other players we have now.

Yaya Toure can recover his game of 2013/14, but not this season.

He needs a pre-season where he's working properly.

He's 31. Not old

Marvin said:
Yaya Toure can recover his game of 2013/14, but not this season.

He needs a pre-season where he's working properly.

He's 31. Not old

I'm not sure that he gives enough of a shit anymore..

BlueAnorak said:
Cheesy said:
None of us know his job description so we can't say exactly what he does day-to-day and what his exact responsibilities are, however I'd have thought the whole idea of having a DoF is to have continuity, thereby ensuring that we don't have to overhaul our squad on a regular basis, nevermind who the manager is or whatver other changes in personnel take place. The fact that we need a glaringly obvious overhaul of our squad this Summer says to me that (at the moment at least) he hasn't done what he's employed to do.

He's the Director of Football - The job description is standard all over Europe.
In 4 transfer windows he has delivered one very good player (Fernandinho), one good impact substitute (Navas)), a spring flower (Negredo) who bloomed and then withered + a load of squad fillers one totally dire player (Fernando) who is the worst player to arrive at the club since the 1990's.
The problem is not all of his making as we haven't bought ONE world class player since Aguero. But he hasn't done anything to address the problem. FFP hasn't helped but surely less buys of better quality + better use of youth players would have been a better use of the money.
This summer he has to address the fundamental problem by replacing YaYa with a world class player, and to purchase 4 additional players, 2 of whom have to be World class and 2 of whom have to be merely very good.

I do enjoy Bluemoon.

I'm not convinced yet.

Txiki has spent a lot of money and not actually improved us.

Fernandinho has been his best signing. I think Mangala will come good next season, but was his signing so urgent in a financially-restricted summer?

He hasn't identified the lack of a quick winger. Alexis Sanchez was the one. Real quality, genuine pace out wide and scores goals. We spent most of our limited transfer budget on Mangala, who is still behind Kompany and Demichelis. I like Mangala and think he's potentially world class, but couldn't we have waited until January to sign him with the Bony money? We spent majority of our summer budget on a player who's currently our third choice CB.

Alexis Sanchez in the summer, then Mangala in January would have been a better choice IMO.

This summer is enormous for Txiki. There's a good chance we will be replacing Premiership winners like Yaya, Kolarov, Nasri and Dzeko. They need replacing with top young players. The likes of Kurzawa/Rodriquez, Pogba/Koke, Sterling/Draxler/Bale/Reus and Lacazette. That's the quality we need to be bringing in this summer.

I'm nervous about this summer, I really think it's make or break.

Saying that Txiki has failed is harsh I feel (especially as he's only been here 2 years) his entire list of signings:
Jesus Navas (£14m)
Navas has been a very useful player and the only player with pure pace, and although he gets a hard time on here you cant deny he gives us something different from the rest of our winger/ playmakers
Fernandinho (£30m)
Probably City's best CM considering Yaya only wants to go forward, a great pick
Alvaro Negredo (£20m)
without a doubt helped us to win the league last season, although the second half of his season was poor i'm sure most strikers would take 26 goals in their debut season, and if not for his troubles in Manchester i'm sure he'd still be here.
Stevan Jovetic (£24m)
The only big money signing of Txiki's I feel will never truly fit in, a good player but not the right fit, however I do remember people saying before we signed him that he would be the next big thing, so you cant call for a signing and then when they don't work out blame someone for actually having signed them.
Martin Demichelis (£4m)
Probably been City's most consistent CB this season and barring his shocking first half a season he's been great
Bacary Sagna (Free)
Been good since coming in and you cant really argue with bringing him in for nothing, and i'm sure Micah would've stayed had it not been for his unfortunate string of injuries.
Willy Caballero (£6m)
Very clearly just a back up, although a lot was made of how good he was, still a level below Joe, but a better No.2 than Pantilllimon
Bruno Zuculini (£1.5m)
Not really seen enough of him to argue either way, did look impressive in pre-season though and is still only 20/21
Eliaquim Mangala (£32m)
Shown glimpses of what he can become and if he achieves it he could be VK's partner for a long time to come
Wilfried Bony (£25m)
Not really given too much of a chance yet apart from one start in which he played very well

From these signings I have to agree that in reality they were only ever meant to pad out the squad, I imagine in preparation for this summer, due to the restrictions imposed, its ok saying that our squad hasn't changed since 2011 or whatever but they were bought with no restriction and how much of the money spent around that time was wasted? £20m for Roque Santa Cruz? £22m for Joleon? £18m for Jo?

I think that Txiki's defining summer will be this one (if your to believe the likes of Tolmie, which I do) and hopefully he will have built the core of the squad for years to come.

Ell-ano said:
Saying that Txiki has failed is harsh I feel (especially as he's only been here 2 years) his entire list of signings:
Jesus Navas (£14m)
Navas has been a very useful player and the only player with pure pace, and although he gets a hard time on here you cant deny he gives us something different from the rest of our winger/ playmakers
Fernandinho (£30m)
Probably City's best CM considering Yaya only wants to go forward, a great pick
Alvaro Negredo (£20m)
without a doubt helped us to win the league last season, although the second half of his season was poor i'm sure most strikers would take 26 goals in their debut season, and if not for his troubles in Manchester i'm sure he'd still be here.
Stevan Jovetic (£24m)
The only big money signing of Txiki's I feel will never truly fit in, a good player but not the right fit, however I do remember people saying before we signed him that he would be the next big thing, so you cant call for a signing and then when they don't work out blame someone for actually having signed them.
Martin Demichelis (£4m)
Probably been City's most consistent CB this season and barring his shocking first half a season he's been great
Bacary Sagna (Free)
Been good since coming in and you cant really argue with bringing him in for nothing, and i'm sure Micah would've stayed had it not been for his unfortunate string of injuries.
Willy Caballero (£6m)
Very clearly just a back up, although a lot was made of how good he was, still a level below Joe, but a better No.2 than Pantilllimon
Bruno Zuculini (£1.5m)
Not really seen enough of him to argue either way, did look impressive in pre-season though and is still only 20/21
Eliaquim Mangala (£32m)
Shown glimpses of what he can become and if he achieves it he could be VK's partner for a long time to come
Wilfried Bony (£25m)
Not really given too much of a chance yet apart from one start in which he played very well

From these signings I have to agree that in reality they were only ever meant to pad out the squad, I imagine in preparation for this summer, due to the restrictions imposed, its ok saying that our squad hasn't changed since 2011 or whatever but they were bought with no restriction and how much of the money spent around that time was wasted? £20m for Roque Santa Cruz? £22m for Joleon? £18m for Jo?

I think that Txiki's defining summer will be this one (if your to believe the likes of Tolmie, which I do) and hopefully he will have built the core of the squad for years to come.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.