Discussion: Txiki Begiristain (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I struggle to get my head round how we've managed to waste so much money on unfinished products. Why haven't we bought the real deal? Really fucking boring now, can't afford to miss again in the summer.

Ell-ano said:
Saying that Txiki has failed is harsh I feel (especially as he's only been here 2 years) his entire list of signings:
Jesus Navas (£14m)
Navas has been a very useful player and the only player with pure pace, and although he gets a hard time on here you cant deny he gives us something different from the rest of our winger/ playmakers
Fernandinho (£30m)
Probably City's best CM considering Yaya only wants to go forward, a great pick
Alvaro Negredo (£20m)
without a doubt helped us to win the league last season, although the second half of his season was poor i'm sure most strikers would take 26 goals in their debut season, and if not for his troubles in Manchester i'm sure he'd still be here.
Stevan Jovetic (£24m)
The only big money signing of Txiki's I feel will never truly fit in, a good player but not the right fit, however I do remember people saying before we signed him that he would be the next big thing, so you cant call for a signing and then when they don't work out blame someone for actually having signed them.
Martin Demichelis (£4m)
Probably been City's most consistent CB this season and barring his shocking first half a season he's been great
Bacary Sagna (Free)
Been good since coming in and you cant really argue with bringing him in for nothing, and i'm sure Micah would've stayed had it not been for his unfortunate string of injuries.
Willy Caballero (£6m)
Very clearly just a back up, although a lot was made of how good he was, still a level below Joe, but a better No.2 than Pantilllimon
Bruno Zuculini (£1.5m)
Not really seen enough of him to argue either way, did look impressive in pre-season though and is still only 20/21
Eliaquim Mangala (£32m)
Shown glimpses of what he can become and if he achieves it he could be VK's partner for a long time to come
Wilfried Bony (£25m)
Not really given too much of a chance yet apart from one start in which he played very well

From these signings I have to agree that in reality they were only ever meant to pad out the squad, I imagine in preparation for this summer, due to the restrictions imposed, its ok saying that our squad hasn't changed since 2011 or whatever but they were bought with no restriction and how much of the money spent around that time was wasted? £20m for Roque Santa Cruz? £22m for Joleon? £18m for Jo?

I think that Txiki's defining summer will be this one (if your to believe the likes of Tolmie, which I do) and hopefully he will have built the core of the squad for years to come.
You also have to look at other manager/DOF's records. It's pretty rare for anyone to get more than 1 in 2 right. I think the problem that Txiki's had is that all of his signings have been okay, and none of them have been spectacular, whereas usually managers get some that don't work out at all and some that become amazing, which is more what you want really.

The trouble for Txiki is he promised the earth when the board backed him and sidelined Mancini.
One year in it looked great. Two trophies and an improvement in you CL qualification.
Two season's on and the plan looks in tatters. The good ship MCFC is stationary and taking on water.
Unless he has a pre-costed plan with many of the agreements already in place to deliver a major squad upgrade for the 2015/16 season I think he will be gone sooner rather than later.

BlueAnorak said:
The trouble for Txiki is he promised the earth when the board backed him and sidelined Mancini.
One year in it looked great. Two trophies and an improvement in you CL qualification.
Two season's on and the plan looks in tatters. The good ship MCFC is stationary and taking on water.
Unless he has a pre-costed plan with many of the agreements already in place to deliver a major squad upgrade for the 2015/16 season I think he will be gone sooner rather than later.

Totally agree fella. No longer a project we now have to put up or shut up.

richards30 said:
BlueAnorak said:

So a 10 year project is derailed after 1 average season some fans want everything now

grim up north said:
richards30 said:
BlueAnorak said:

So a 10 year project is derailed after 1 average season some fans want everything now

Spoilt twats.

I was on the monarch flight home on Thursday from Barca, as was Txiki. With his wife so assumed he stayed on for an extra night in Barca after the team flew home.

He was asked by a few blues about the club, signings and spending etc.

He basically said that FFP has restricted who we've brought in this year, we have been shackled to a certain extent with the deals we have been able to put together (fee and wages). He also said next year we will spend very big with no restrictions.

I also managed to grab a quick work with him on the way to passport control and he again said we will spend very big in the summer.

Just passing on what I heard.

grim up north said:
richards30 said:
BlueAnorak said:

So the fans favourite can be sacked for no good reason but when his inter-toto winning replacement proves no better he gets to be treated differently. wow. Some consistency would be good.

I couldn't give a shit about Txixi or whatever his name is. |Get rid of him if he can't do his job and just give us a decent manager ffs.

we are the east stand said:
I was on the monarch flight home on Thursday from Barca, as was Txiki. With his wife so assumed he stayed on for an extra night in Barca after the team flew home.

He basically said that FFP has restricted who we've brought in this year, we have been shackled to a certain extent with the deals we have been able to put together (fee and wages). He also said next year we will spend very big with no restrictions.

I also managed to grab a quick work with him on the way to passport control and he again said we will spend very big in the summer.

I hope you aright, but I also agree with what he has said. We have been restricted by FFP and it effectively shows to those that thought that FFP did not have any impact on us, were wrong.

If Soriano has done his job correct then we should now be under FFP and be able to bring in those players that are needed. However that does not mean that just because we can spend big that we should sell on the cheap.

We need to sell those players not needed at the highest price we can because that can be offset against purchases.

BlueMoonz1977 said:
we are the east stand said:

I hope you aright, but I also agree with what he has said. We have been restricted by FFP and it effectively shows to those that thought that FFP did not have any impact on us, were wrong.

If Soriano has done his job correct then we should now be under FFP and be able to bring in those players that are needed. However that does not mean that just because we can spend big that we should sell on the cheap.

We need to sell those players not needed at the highest price we can because that can be offset against purchases.

Txiki's done alright at that so far, Rodwell he managed to get a fee for, defying all odds. Got money for Tevez, Balo despite wages, AJ, Garcia, so I have faith he'll find buyers for players we don't want, I just hope he signs the right calibre this summer.

Depends who we sell, but I don't see why he can't fetch £80m for a combo of Dzeko, Jovetic, Nasri and Kolarov, once you take yourself out of the BM sphere and look at the player credentials, their valuation is higher, and we also have the Negredo money to come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.