Disillusioned with Football £££

Is anybody else feeling completely disillusioned with the way football is at the moment?

If I'm honest, it isn't going to stop me watching it, or being a fan - but I think the money involved is just totally unacceptable. Especially when you consider what is happening in the real-world that we all live in (mortgages/rent shooting up, people can't afford food or heating, people living on the street).

The money footballers receive has been daft for a long time. £10,000 a week, then turned into £100,000 a week, which has then turned into £200,000 - £300,000 a week becoming the norm for a top players salary (this is before their contracts with Nike/Adidas etc). But now (though he is unlikely to go there) Mbappe has been offered £1.9m A DAY, to go and play in Saudi Arabia! £58m a month! It is just not right, and they shouldn't be allowed to even offer it. If the Saudi's have that sort of money available to just give away, why aren't they doing something good with it in the world!? Instead of giving it a footballer. All they are paying for is his name and image - at £1.9m a day, where is the incentive for him to actually play well?

Transfer fees don't bother me too much (though they are ridiculous too) but at least they stay in the football system for a while and the money gets passed down to the lower leagues eventually. But, I guess it still ends up in the players pockets in the end!

I went to watch Manchester Giants Basketball last year, and couldn't believe how good the players were after the game. Kids were allowed onto the court to have their photo taken with the players - who were more than happy to hang around and do so. In football, the players are ushered off by Security and you have to hang around for 1-2 hours after a game if you wanted to see them, and even then there is a barrier and security - and the best you can do is wave at them.

I even had to unfollow all the City players on Instagram over the last few weeks as I couldn't bear to look at the photos and videos they posted of them hiring luxury yachts for a week, or staying in huge Villas without a care in the world for how much it actually costs - whilst I'm sat at home getting anxious about my mortgage going up a few hundred quid a month.

I know I'm ranting - and I completely appreciate that for them to earn this amount of money they also have to train and work very hard, and accept being scrutinised by thousands of people every week, and have very little privacy when they step out of their house etc. But, I still don't think this warrants the amount of money they receive.

I'm also probably jealous, and obviously wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me - but I would certainly give away/do some good with a large part of it, because lets be honest, who really needs that much money per week? I'd give my right bollock to get £100k a year!

Nope!

As per the comments on the Media thread re Shindler, people have been falling out of love with football because of money since the ghastly uncouth transfer of Alf Common in 1905 when he became the first player to be transferred for £1,000 when he went from Sunderland to Middlesbrough. Then we had the outrage when English football league clubs abolished the £20 maximum wage cap in 1961. Disillusionment abounded as players no longer caught the no 9 pre match bus to the ground with fans!

Then blood boiled again when Trevor Francis became the first £1 million player in 1979 and players no longer looked to buying into pubs on retirement.

Envy can eat you up inside if you are not careful. And as for Basketball players being held up as an example I believe the NBA recently set their"salary" cap at $134 million per year or $2.57 million per week and that is before personal endorsements, image rights etc.

In my opinion top level football is better than ever with players from around the globe competing on great pitches in fantastic stadiums with brilliant 4k widescreen TV coverage.

just enjoy it!

This is a football forum.

I could go a forum about the film industry and talk about how they are over paid too.

My point is, Sky TV, BT, Amazon etc. have the money to throw at the Premier League and UEFA - why don't they use the money for good in the community, rather than helping the rich get richer.

Because they want to make money. Why should everyone who’s successful be forced to give it away to ‘the community’? Easy come, easy go - how many people in these needy communities would squander it on drugs, etc? It’s for the government to sort out social ills, not businesses.

Football to me these days is City and City alone. I don’t pay much heed to the wider game, the politics or the invariable pantomimes that try and keep the masses entertained.
So no, I’m not concerned about the money aspect. If the whole football bubble burst tomorrow I’m sure we would survive in one way or another and I’d still get to watch us. Might not be this incarnation but there will always be a Manchester City to follow.

I've gone back to watching my local non-league club. Grass roots and all that. Obviously it's not the same thing, we have cab drivers, bricklayers, farm workers etc playing, but it's a good atmosphere and it reminds me of my youth.

I love the game of football, I'm not interested in the business side of it.

Because they want to make money. Why should everyone who’s successful be forced to give it away to ‘the community’? Easy come, easy go - how many people in these needy communities would squander it on drugs, etc? It’s for the government to sort out social ills, not businesses.
Well yeah, but it's for businesses to pay the tax that funds the government. Something that they are increasingly doing everything they can to avoid doing. I'm sure the rags are registered in the Cayman Islands because of their huge fanbase there.

I'm disillusioned with rags coming on here saying they're disillusioned with football because they're shit.

Last edited:

Again - I'm not complaining about the players taking it. I don't blame them.

The fact that there is even this much money in and around football (and other sports, yes - and the film & music industry, yes) is the problem.

Yes, it is down to Government and Politics etc.

Just because it is how it is, doesn't make it right or any easier to stomach.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.