Disproving Christianity?

ElanJo said:
It is a fact. He is the supreme authority. If you have children you dictate to them what they can and can not do, what rules they have to live by, punishments etc.
No it is not. You say he is 'the supreme authority', yet he does not have supreme authority. God cannot force you to do something against your will, by definition then he does not dictate to you. He is therefore not a dictator.

I am using the claims made in the Bible, claims that most Christians accept, to argue against the Biblical God. There is nothing wrong or contradictory about that.

The very claims you aim to disprove, and as such believe to be invalid. I'd suggest that is highly contradictory.

And I think it is pretty insulting for you to swan on here making accusations about the purpose of the thread and the argument when you don't even understand the argument.

That's just too camp a statement for me to take seriously, and really quite surprising that someone so adept at insults is hurt by a little 'accusation' with not even a 'twat' in sight.

PistonBlue said:
ElanJo said:
It is a fact. He is the supreme authority. If you have children you dictate to them what they can and can not do, what rules they have to live by, punishments etc.
No it is not. You say he is 'the supreme authority', yet he does not have supreme authority. God cannot force you to do something against your will, by definition then he does not dictate to you. He is therefore not a dictator.

Of course he is the supreme authority. He created reality and good and bad itself ffs. He dictates your eternal fate based on his rules. A human dictator ( whether a King or parent) can only use coercion (via punishment or reward) to get you to do what he wants - he cannot actually control your will. In the same way this God coerces you via threats of punishment and reward

I am using the claims made in the Bible, claims that most Christians accept, to argue against the Biblical God. There is nothing wrong or contradictory about that.

The very claims you aim to disprove, and as such believe to be invalid. I'd suggest that is highly contradictory.

Your obvious dislike for me is affecting your judgement. If I am going to argue against a proposition i am going to use the claims of that proposition in my argument. Jesus...

And I think it is pretty insulting for you to swan on here making accusations about the purpose of the thread and the argument when you don't even understand the argument.

That's just too camp a statement for me to take seriously, and really quite surprising that someone so adept at insults is hurt by a little 'accusation' with not even a 'twat' in sight.

Where did I say I was hurt? I think I remember saying that you can continue to insult me all you like. Besides, I think your comments insult yourself more than me.

ElanJo said:
PistonBlue said:
You are right in that I didn't quite understand your original argument. I found it clumsy and ill thought out. For example you assert that 'God is a dictator' as a matter of fact, but it isn't a fact is it? That's your opinion. And if, as you are keen to prove, God doesn't in fact exist, then how can he/she be a dictator?

I chose not to take you up on your original argument, because it isn't one that be 'won' either way. I can't prove God exists any more than you can prove he does not.

And I don't believe I've insulted you?

It is a fact. He is the supreme authority. If you have children you dictate to them what they can and can not do, what rules they have to live by, punishments etc. A Dictator can be benign.

And if, as you are keen to prove, God doesn't in fact exist, then how can he/she be a dictator?

The structure of the argument is a kind of syllogism, such as:

1. All mammals breathe air
2. A Whale breathes air
3. Therefore a Whale is a mammal.

levets said:
maybe elanjo should have opened up to all and not just christianity
====================================
he likes an easy target... He hasn't got the bottle to raise the same issues with regards to Islam

I've already said that this argument could possibly work for Islam aswell but may not - I'm not as familiar with the claims of Islam as I am Christianity. I've lived in a "Christian country" all my life so it's hardly surprising is it? Sorry if that makes you feel butthurt, I can't do much about it I'm afraid.
You haven't got the bottle to tackle the actual argument I made, instead you just keep popping in with insults - It's all you ever do. You're a bit of a joke really, aren't you? :)

are you trying to disprove christianity as a movemement or what it is fundamentally based on
if it is the former forget it it exists, if the latter then that could apply to all
and as i have been told constantly we can't prove either way, which is fair enough on current knowledge.
but to just believe as in one reply "cos" seems a bit strange and genuinely want to know why?

ElanJo said:
PistonBlue said:

Where did I say I was hurt? I think I remember saying that you can continue to insult me all you like. Besides, I think your comments insult yourself more than me.

Ok. So which is it. Does the Christian God exist as a dictator and creator and the supreme authority. Or, are you actually going to disprove the Christian theory, meaning that God in fact does not exist at all. You can't have it both ways.
If he doesn't exist, then he cannot dictate.

I don't dislike you, I don't even know you. Don't take it personally when I or anyone else disagrees with you.

If you weren't hurt or at least offended, then why bring it up? I don't believe I've insulted you at all actually, and you don't suit the victim look.

Matty said:
mackenzie said:
You kidding? This country hasn't really recognised anything to do with retail and the Christian observance for nearly a decade or more.

Any day but Sunday shops are open until 6pm minimum, later on many nights, they also open at 9am. This isn't the case on a Sunday. Tesco's is open 24 hours a day, apart from Sunday when it isn't. Sunday hours may have slackened, but they still exist. That's just one example.

Isn't it annoying when you go to the shop and it's not open because it's a Sunday and you have to wait around for an hour or go home.
Fucking Christians, piss off I want to be able to buy some trainers 24 hours a day. Even on a Sunday.

On the advice of buzzer, I finally got around to watching Zeitgeist last night.

Without having done any further research myself, it made a pretty convincing case about the correlation between Abrahamic religions and astrology.

Usually, when I see the word astrology, I automatically think bollocks, but this was actually based in real astronomy and not the bullshit "you will meet a tall dark stranger" stuff you see.

Interesting that was, opened my mind to another possibility. I already had figured out the links to Egyptian and Greek religions, but never made the connection to astrology.

I'm off to look up some critiques of the movie and see how much was bullshit, but it was indeed interesting.

Im off worshipping some stones, least the ones at eastlands, ohh and the pagans are / were into astrology i beleive, and they have been around a lot longer than christians. in fact i am led to believe that christmas was possibly one of there religeous days and not christs birthday. if my history memory serves me right the days were merged by some king or other

ElanJo said:
PistonBlue said:
You are right in that I didn't quite understand your original argument. I found it clumsy and ill thought out. For example you assert that 'God is a dictator' as a matter of fact, but it isn't a fact is it? That's your opinion. And if, as you are keen to prove, God doesn't in fact exist, then how can he/she be a dictator?

I chose not to take you up on your original argument, because it isn't one that be 'won' either way. I can't prove God exists any more than you can prove he does not.

And I don't believe I've insulted you?

It is a fact. He is the supreme authority. If you have children you dictate to them what they can and can not do, what rules they have to live by, punishments etc. A Dictator can be benign.

And if, as you are keen to prove, God doesn't in fact exist, then how can he/she be a dictator?

2. A Whale breathes air

levets said:
maybe elanjo should have opened up to all and not just christianity
====================================
he likes an easy target... He hasn't got the bottle to raise the same issues with regards to Islam

I've already said that this argument could possibly work for Islam aswell but may not - I'm not as familiar with the claims of Islam as I am Christianity. I've lived in a "Christian country" all my life so it's hardly surprising is it? Sorry if that makes you feel butthurt, I can't do much about it I'm afraid.
You haven't got the bottle to tackle the actual argument I made, instead you just keep popping in with insults - It's all you ever do. You're a bit of a joke really, aren't you? :)

Butthurt???? what the fuck??? you really are a student with too much time on his hands..

I have no reason nor inclination to 'tackle your argument'... but I wonder what your agenda is? Why do many of your posts court controversy? Are you trying to be Blue Moon's 'shock Jock'?

answer this....
Do you have a wife, Kids or a girlfriend...even a male partner? Did you buy them (or anybody) a christmas present? I just want you to show me that you are not in fact a hypocrite who just likes to sound off, in order to gain some form of infamy.

talkativesprout said:
Im off worshipping some stones, least the ones at eastlands, ohh and the pagans are / were into astrology i beleive, and they have been around a lot longer than christians. in fact i am led to believe that christmas was possibly one of there religeous days and not christs birthday. if my history memory serves me right the days were merged by some king or other

Perfect summation of the question at hand. Good job sprout.

levets said:
ElanJo said:

2. A Whale breathes air

Butthurt???? what the fuck??? you really are a student with too much time on his hands..

I have no reason nor inclination to 'tackle your argument'... but I wonder what your agenda is? Why do many of your posts court controversy? Are you trying to be Blue Moon's 'shock Jock'?

answer this....
Do you have a wife, Kids or a girlfriend...even a male partner? Did you buy them (or anybody) a christmas present? I just want you to show me that you are not in fact a hypocrite who just likes to sound off, in order to gain some form of infamy.

I have a lovely girlfriend, two nieces/nephews who I see everyday, parents, little brother etc, and I got them all Xmas presents.

I didn't do so because I'm celebrating the birth of the Christ child, I did so because it's a cultural tradition to buy gifts at this time. As you all know, I'm an Atheist, but that doesn't mean that I don't take part in any cultural event that has any religious background to it. It just means that I don't believe in a creator figure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.