Disproving Christianity?

Stanley said:
Llewellyn Dowd said:
I'm a bit concerned about your name being an anagram of 'do uphill colon'!! ;-)

Better that you know your hitch hikers, you zarkin frood.

Great books Oolon, my fav is "Who is this god guy anyway?"

Many thanks, I particularly like my use of the Bable fish theory in my last book "Well that about sums it up for God"
God said that proof denies faith and without faith he is nothing, I argued that the Babel fish was proof of God's existance and so he evaporated in a puff of logic.
I earnt a fortune from that one!

ElanJo said:
1. He creates us (limited as we are)
2. He wants us to a)acknowledge him and b) to accept and worship him
i) If you do a) and b) you will be rewarded.
ii) If you do not do a) and b) you will be sent to Hell (or in a state of Hell - either way, it's everlasting torment)
3. To be able to do b) you must first do a)
4. God hides himself from us and gives no reason whatsoever to believe this scripture( in this case the Bible) over another. ***
5. It's already established that the Christian God is a dictator
6. Thus the Christian God is fictitious or, at the very least, evil (ie. a bad dictator/tyrant)

*** I sense an objection here so i will preempt it. If he revealed himself to us in some way as to make it pretty obvious that he existed this would not impede on our Free Will. We'd still have choice whether to follow him or not.

Is this line of thinking justified or not? If not, why not?

As a committed Christian I think the problem in your logic lies in points 4 and 5. Far from hiding himself from us, God makes every effort to communicate with us, and the Bible gives a record of how he has done so. The purpose of the Christian Church (I make no claim for any particular denomination) is to help this communication to continue, and many people find that they are able to do so in prayer. And I'm not sure why you say 'the Christian God is a dictator' when later on you mention that we have Free Will. Nothing is forcing us to respond to God's efforts to communicate with us if we don't want to.

Why doesn't he make it obvious he exists, rid anyone of this "blind faith" and help stop all this religion based pain, suffering and death?

I mean, if he created everything surely he'd be able to communicate freely with us, as he apparently did with Adam and Eve

Prestwich_Blue said:
TheLegendOfBerti said:
I'm a Roman Catholic and plan to study Physics with Astrophysics at University. *Awaits response*
Smartarse - why can't you do Media Studies like everyone else.

Just curious as the OP has gone on about Catholicism and erm...physics, and erm...space in particular, so erm...yeah, i want to hear what he has to say.

Media Studies? What's that?

PistonBlue said:
ElanJo said:
So the "what opinions do you have that people love to hate" thread got me thinking again about religion (yes, yes I know that a good portion of the threads I start are religion centric) and the whole debate as to whether a God can be disproved. So here's a little effort of mine to disprove the Christians one.
The Christian God is a dictator. However, it is possible to have a somewhat loving or benign dictatorship. A classroom is one, a parent - child relationship is another.
According to Christian doctrine God is an all loving dictator.

I beg to differ.

1. He creates us (limited as we are)
2. He wants us to a)acknowledge him and b) to accept and worship him
i) If you do a) and b) you will be rewarded.
ii) If you do not do a) and b) you will be sent to Hell (or in a state of Hell - either way, it's everlasting torment)
3. To be able to do b) you must first do a)
4. God hides himself from us and gives no reason whatsoever to believe this scripture( in this case the Bible) over another. ***
5. It's already established that the Christian God is a dictator
6. Thus the Christian God is fictitious or, at the very least, evil (ie. a bad dictator/tyrant)

*** I sense an objection here so i will preempt it. If he revealed himself to us in some way as to make it pretty obvious that he existed this would not impede on our Free Will. We'd still have choice whether to follow him or not.

Is this line of thinking justified or not? If not, why not?

So God is a dictator, but hides himself from us, and doesn't even exist, but he is evil and he wants us to worship him, even though he doesn't exist?
Have you thought this one through?

1-5 are the premises. 6 is the conclusion

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.