Do foreign fans understand the hatred?

Dribble said:
IanBishopsHaircut said:
Just a question to our foreign based City fans..

Do you get the hatred we have for the rags?

Obviously you are not as exposed as we are in Manchester/Uk to rags in the flesh..so maybe the rivalry doesn't impact on you as much?
TBH 'foreign' should apply to anyone outside of the confines of Manchester!

it always has done in my book!

i'm asian and actually i hold a grudge against Hong Kongers, southern Chinese (northern Chinese tend to support the big Serie A clubs, and capital club Chelsea) and Malaysians due to some unpleasant personal experiences, and a near worldwide epidemic caused by primitive and uncivilised consumption of some unheard of animals in 2003. these folks tend to generally be rag/arse supporters.

hence my support of City

Dribble said:
Ducado said:
Hate is a very strong word and it's a word I would try not to equate with football, dislike may be, but hatred is taking it all a bit too far in my opinion.

When all said and done it's a game of football, the operative word being GAME, to hate one set of people because they support another club, is taking it all a bit too far
Mmmmmmm......................... Nah speak for yaself mate. In football terms hatred just about sums up how I feel about the Rag bastards! When we were shit they made my life a fuckin misery and I don't forgive or forget that easily.

An enemy is for life not just until we're at their level.

well I wouldn't want to inflict pain on individual (well, probably not many) but I think you can easily 'hate' another team when it comes to football because it is only football!

I don't believe the vast majority of overseas (by birth) supporters in the USA fully comprehend the intense rivalry that exists in European football (as a Brit who lives out here) simply because in the vast majority of professional sporting events in the US the violence takes place on the field, not off it. Last night I met a Romanian guy outside a pub and we had a quick chat as the American girl I was with looked on. She didn't understand the passion or the background behind the 'football' we were talking about, and I believe there's an anthropological 'tribal' element to how most people identify with a football club.

MCFCinUSA said:
Dribble said:
Ducado said:
Hate is a very strong word and it's a word I would try not to equate with football, dislike may be, but hatred is taking it all a bit too far in my opinion.

When all said and done it's a game of football, the operative word being GAME, to hate one set of people because they support another club, is taking it all a bit too far
Mmmmmmm......................... Nah speak for yaself mate. In football terms hatred just about sums up how I feel about the Rag bastards! When we were shit they made my life a fuckin misery and I don't forgive or forget that easily.

An enemy is for life not just until we're at their level.

well I wouldn't want to inflict pain on individual (well, probably not many) but I think you can easily 'hate' another team when it comes to football because it is only football!

I don't believe the vast majority of overseas (by birth) supporters in the USA fully comprehend the intense rivalry that exists in European football (as a Brit who lives out here) simply because in the vast majority of professional sporting events in the US the violence takes place on the field, not off it. Last night I met a Romanian guy outside a pub and we had a quick chat as the American girl I was with looked on. She didn't understand the passion or the background behind the 'football' we were talking about, and I believe there's an anthropological 'tribal' element to how most people identify with a football club.

spot on!
i live here too and have to say the passion fans have here is nowhere near european football levels. they "support" their clubs, but I have never seen violence in the name of your team before. could be a good thing i guess.

as for other euro based fans; i think they do understand it very well. every country, every league, has rivalries as heated and in some cases more so than city v manure. check out some of the eastern block.

mancunial said:
Back in the 60s n 70s I didn't hate united just loved city and was so lucky to start supporting them from 66, but I never hated united had loads of united mates who came to watch city with me, but since the early 80s I started to dislike their fans, but now I hate their players especially that Rooney I absolutely detest this person, their manager is a bullying arrogant hypocrite, their fans are the shithouse scum of football, their behaviour at the semi was the most gutless I have ever witnessed, their arse licking media are cowards who have to tow the party line, so in general in the space of 46 years I've gone from being acquainted to total loathing of that club, with tottenham
In a close second.

Saved me a post , M*...

This and only this

waterloo blue said:
adammck said:
JohnMaddocksAxe said:
Manly Sea Eagles

That is my actual home town club, to bad they play rugby league!
The least liked club in the competition,so they and the rags have something in common.

Sure do! I'm sure the way City are going we will be pretty hated soon. I enjoy it to be honest, as long as we are winning then who gives a wank

When i am in Milwaukee and i meet new people who are generally polish due to my ex there being Polish etc, anyway...

When they ask where i am from i tell them Manchester and they reply with "ahh united boooo".
I then tell them i'm blue and explain they instanly equate it to Chicago Bears vs Green Bay Packers and my ny mates have it down as Jets v Giants.

So they do kinda get it in America having mates supporting rival teams. Here we deal with it on a much more of an acute scale generally.

It is much more condensed here, like everyone is spread over vast distances over there on a neighbourhood and city wide level. Over here we are like someone constantly stiring oil and water together.

We have no breathing space, so the intensity is well err intensified, they do have said breathing space.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.