Do we need a LB?

waspish said:
Have we got anyone coming through who could do a better job than Clichy?

Angelino is in our youth team and is one of the more promising youngsters.

Kolarov good going fwd, ordinary defensively, Clichy not great on the ball, I used to think he was good defensively but in a few games recently he's been all over the place ... I'd say we deffo need a left back!!

Damanino said:
Doesnt matter who plays when Silva is the left midfielder...

Anytime when Milner starts on left the fullback behind him is more comfortable too. As he doesnt have to deend always with looking out for a winger and a fullback too. Silva rarely tracks back, and for that reason I feel sorry for our leftback in those games but thats down to Pellegrini he wants us to suffer defensively on the let in return Silva might be good from the let, but usually ends up in him going center where he is so much better...

Better leftbacks than ours would be under so much pressure when Silva is their only help on the left...

But yeah Clichy's form and ability to go forward is mediocre.

Agree - and when ever I see Silva on the left in a big game my heart sinks ... We have to play Milner their all day long vs Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, big CL games etc .....Silva is so much better playing down the middle as a second striker, he can run the game from there ... I thought we should have started that way vs West Ham given their good form. Dzeko was ordinary too!!

Who's gettable? Who's better than what we have?

Yuto Nagatomo ---- Inter Milan ---- 28
Leighton Baines ---- Everton ---- 30 in Dec
Fabio Coentrao ---- Real Madrid ---- 26
Ricardo Rodriquez ---- Wolfsberg ---- 22
Marcel Schmelzer ---- Dortmund ---- 26

Struggle to name many LBs that'd improve us obviously Lahm, Alba, Alaba and Marcelo are a definite no no . I'd give Coentroa a go a nice 6 month loan in Jan with option to buy if successful. Still only 26 and bags of experience in Champions League he'd be perfect imo. Nagatomo wouldn't be a bad shout seen him a few times and he's an absolute grafter. Leighton Baines puts me off he's great at set pieces but imo a poor defender and nearly 30. Schmelzer I've only seen a few times but again he looks very solid. Then we have the young kid Rodriguez is he ready to jump straight into our starting 11? Imo not just yet.

Seriously, Layvin Kurzawa before he goes to Real Madrid or Barcelona. He is the one who was a dick towards Guidetti and paid for it when his mockery was returned during Sweden vs. France U21s. I have watched him a bit since he was linked with top English clubs including us and he has been quality for Monaco, and not just against bad teams - he had good games against PSG, Leverkusen and Benfica. I haven't watched the smaller Monaco games but his WhoScored ratings are high. Only 22 and many rate him higher than Lucas Digne (the other promising young French left-back). He may not send in as many crosses as R. Rodriguez but looks a very balanced left-back, skillful and good technically. He would probably be cheaper than Rodriguez too because he has less exposure and Monaco have become a selling club.

He and Angelino could be our future left-backs in an ideal world, because Clichy is on borrowed time and Kolarov will be into his 30s or possibly already gone when Angelino is ready (if he ever is, but he looks promising).

Wonder whether Zabaleta could do an Azpilicueta against tricky away opposition?

Zabaleta---Mangala--Kompany---Sagna

I am surprised Rodriguez hasn't made a big money move away from Wolfsburg yet. Since he has had a lot of exposure and is only 22 his transfer fee could be up there with the likes of Dani Alves and Luke Shaw for the highest ever for a fullback

Out of curiosity, what about Jose Angel Tasende from the Academy, He wont be ready just yet but could he be next season?

I just have a hunch that our transfer policy is partially driven by who is coming through.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.