Do you believe in hitting kids?

526111_420525747970490_1708034603_n.jpg

In theory - no.
In practice - I think in some rare cases it's appropriate.

Trouble is if you allow people to hit kids, even within a set of strict rules, someone will always go too far. I am old enough to remember the days you got hit at school. There were rules governing this, but they were broken every day.

prairiemoon said:
Children must be taught consequences for their actions and personal responsibility for those consequences.

I have spanked my children. I feel nothing but regret for having done so.

There should be consequences ,but if that means a reason for inflicting pain on your children then that is wrong,a consequence could be grounded or banned from any techo equipment for a week,eg phone playstation i pod.I was hit as a child and i remember it to this day,it didnt help me ,my children are fantastic and well behaved with great sense of humour and confidence , hitting children is a knee jerk reaction and is used when there is underlying issues with the parent,eg low self esteem life pressure both of which are not the childs fault.

deynaskaz said:
prairiemoon said:
Children must be taught consequences for their actions and personal responsibility for those consequences.

There should be consequences ,but if that means a reason for inflicting pain on your children then that is wrong,a consequence could be grounded or banned from any techo equipment for a week,eg phone playstation i pod.I was hit as a child and i remember it to this day,it didnt help me ,my children are fantastic and well behaved with great sense of humour and confidence , hitting children is a knee jerk reaction and is used when there is underlying issues with the parent,eg low self esteem life pressure both of which are not the childs fault.
So every parent who has smacked their kids for being naughty or doing something dangerous or disrespectful comes under this sweeping generalisation? Try taking the phone or laptop off a 14/15 year old and grounding them. They don't just sit on the naughty step feeling remorse for upsetting you, they just kick up shit for hours.

Nothing wrong with an occasional tap across the bottom or legs giving more of a shock than anything else.

anymore than 2sheiks said:
deynaskaz said:
prairiemoon said:

So every parent who has smacked their kids for being naughty or doing something dangerous or disrespectful comes under this sweeping generalisation? Try taking the phone or laptop off a 14/15 year old and grounding them. They don't just sit on the naughty step feeling remorse for upsetting you, they just kick up shit for hours.

Ok so lets just give em a good hiding instead,taking a phone of a 14 year old is far worse,and i suggest as an adult you should be able to control them kicking off by extending it by a day every time they moan about it.
Hitting kids is unacceptable and means that adult has lost all control,it is a short term fix for inflicting fear on the child,and short term fixes don't work .<br /><br />-- Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:54 pm --<br /><br />
deynaskaz said:
deynaskaz said:

Ok so lets just give em a good hiding instead,taking a phone of a 14 year old is far worse,and i suggest as an adult you should be able to control them kicking off by extending it by a day every time they moan about it.
Hitting kids is unacceptable and means that adult has lost all control,it is a short term fix for inflicting fear on the child,and short term fixes don't work .

The problems arise when adults give in on the consequences so the child knows by kicking off they will probably get the punishment overturned,they learn quickly and understand how to press the guilt buttons.

deynaskaz said:
deynaskaz said:

Hitting kids is unacceptable and means that adult has lost all control,it is a short term fix for inflicting fear on the child,and short term fixes don't work .

-- Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:54 pm --

deynaskaz said:

The problems arise when adults give in on the consequences so the child knows by kicking off they will probably get the punishment overturned,they learn quickly and understand how to press the guilt buttons.
Knee-jerk response. Stop confusing a corrective smack with beating the shit out of a kid. Ever since discipline was outlawed in schools, the standard of behaviour has nose-dived. That's a fact that everybody can see. No amount of new age modern load of old pony can alter the truth.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.