Do you like trains?

Virgin trains are lovely and comfortable fast and usually on time. Booked a return to Wembley for £89.80, scandalous price when you consider the alternative costs of other transport to the game. I also remember working for a company about 15 years ago who paid for a £112 single peak time ticket from Euston to Piccadilly. And I also remember buying 2 return flights from Manchester to Warsaw for £102 return in 2015. That puts into perspective how expensive rail transport is in the UK.

Trains are great but it would be much better if they were all automated, Driverless and lazy bastard on the tannoy less. Then they might run on time, correction they would run n time.

Deltics. Used to try and spot these at York on day trips. Things of immense power and beauty.

I've inherited an element of nerdiness about trains from my granddad. Not to the point where I'd willingly stand on cold platforms in the hope that a unique model comes though - that takes dedication I don't have - but I know quite a lot about the trains, routes in the north, carriage lengths and schedules. I'm a bit of a nerd for looking at maps and keeping track of numbers and statistics in many areas of my life so it all ties in.

q13uW3V.jpg

Used to get on this bad boy in the mid 80s with my mum going from whitefield or besses o th barn to Victoria every now and again as part of our jaunt to my grans in Clayton.

I commuted on this every day as an apprentice in town. If you'd have gone the other way, to Bury, you'd get the train rattling like billy-o as it goes over the bridge to Radcliffe. Combine this with the very springy seats they had and a bevvy of beauties sat opposite and it made for a potentially embarrassing moment when getting off..

q13uW3V.jpg

Used to get on this bad boy in the mid 80s with my mum going from whitefield or besses o th barn to Victoria every now and again as part of our jaunt to my grans in Clayton.
Bloody youngsters, I used to get those third rail electrics from Bowker Vale to town in the late 60s.
They didn't feel particularly quick but I think the newfangled and over-hyped tram might take slightly longer from Vic to Bury.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.