Do you want the glory hunters/tourists?

Fowlers Penalty Miss said:
I don't see a problem with glory hunters or tourists.

I started supporting City in the mid 60's as a young lad, and the next decade was successful, so was I a glory hunter? I had to start somewhere, and choosing City at the time seemed a good idea. I probably was a glory hunter, as kids always start to follow the successful clubs, but I became a blue. The point is, would I be a blue if City had been shit at the time?

I don't know, but it is typical that as a young child, I supported a team that won things.

Until recently, I worked at Manchester Airport, and I would see and speak to people from all corners of the earth who had come to watch United, and Liverpool as well.

They usually had their kids with them, and they were always excited and enthused, not only about coming to Manchester, but also by giving their kids a real treat and getting them half way around the world so they could see their idols in action.

They may have been staying in a hotel that was nowhere near Old Trafford, but I would make a detour and drive past the ground, and their reactions were amazing. And I enjoyed doing it, if I'm being honest.

The point is, I think it would be great if, in a few years time, families have travelled half way around the world to come and watch City.

Am I supposed to tell them to piss off because they don't come from Manchester? No way, I will be full of pride that they will have come to Manchester, to watch our team, in a City I am proud to say I come from.

If I find myself sitting next to a family that has travelled all the way from the USA, or Japan, or Australia, because their youngest son, or daughter, is mad about City, well, there's nothing wrong with that in my book.

They are City fans, you see, and they have come to watch their team for the first time, just like I did in 1967, only they live further away than most of us.
well said mate

mlindqui43 said:
I am an American, does that make me a tourist? I guess so, but I have supported City through and through since 2003 when Renya joined. (Will watch my first live City match this summer). But I sure as hell am not a glory hunter either! I think fans, including some of the American fans the club will pick up this summer will love city for the fact City hasn't won leauge since 68. 42 years is a long time, and I just have a feeling that 43 years later will be the year!

Will the club get tourists? Yes every club does
Will the club get glory hunters? No, you have to have glory recently
Will the club get true fans who understand an underdog story? Yes

This!! I was born and bred a Manc and am proud of being so, i was raised a Blue through my uncle as my Dad was a Red!! And am still as passionate as ever, even though i now live here in the US..

I do support my club from afar, but no less passionate than anyone else, ask the wife & kids who all go through 90 (+ Fergie Time) minutes of hell every week watching me swear and cuss at my TV when we are on (which is pretty much every week now :-)!) - I remember when i first moved out here 10 years ago, there was hardly any footie on the TV here and even rarer were we on! Out of sheer deseration, I once called my Mom up and told her to put the phone next to the radio, just so i could listen to the City vs Leeds match on GMR...........cost me a bloody fortune that day.........and we lost i think!!

You dont know how lucky you are to be able to go down to COMs (albeit at our bloved Maine Road!) and also to away games like i used to for 33 years, I went to my first match when i was 8 years old and sat in the old Platt Lane with my uncle a staunch Blue!, before coming out here and i still get back for at least one match a season (have done for all of the 10 years!) this season it was Chelsea in the past it has been bloody Reading! So i certainly cant be accused of being a glory hunter or even a "big-game hunter"..... :-)...

As long as City is in your heart, be it for whatever reason, thats just fine by me......we are all Blues and if we are true Blues, we truly understand what it means to follow our beloved club!!

CTID - & Beyond!!!!

I despise shallow bastard ship jumpers but they'll be here soon enough and will have to be tolerated. Which is a shame, really.

I think they are neccessary if we want to generate money to break even if these are the new rules for europe.You will always get glory hunters but there are supporters who live away from manchester and have always supported City through thick and thin and do their bit by wearing the colours and making the team more prominent abroad.Unfortunately working class supporters who complain about modest increases in ticket prices will not be enough in the new era.Thanks of course to platini.

Grand Master Ram Rod said:
With all these new plans, the money we have and possible success we're gonna get, we're obviously gonna get some new fans/tourists/glory hunters. Do you want them?

Personally I don't! I don't want to end up like that scum down the road.

If you wanna support City, you need a connection - come from Manchester or near by, family member supporting them, etc.. And that goes for every club.

Don't get me wrong I'm very grateful for everything the owners have done for us and we really look like we are heading in the right direction, it all seems too good to be true tbh, but I just can't be doing with the tourists/glory hunters we'll attract, especially when it could also mean that the proper fans might miss games cos of them too.

Tin hat on.

Why would we get them? Do Chelsea get them? No, they don't even sell out 44,000! We might start getting them in 30 years or so but I can't see us gaining any new fans!

I live in Kansas City. I have zero ties to the city of Manchester or the club. I chose to support city before the takeover because I liked what I saw. I watch every game I possibly can even if it means getting up at 6am and finding a sketchy stream online (Shady is a legend over here). I could not care less if some locals didn't want me as a supporter.

Ive supported city since the keegan days. anelka scored the winner against chelsea. Now since I support city, everyone presumes im a glory hunter. Cant win!

Born and bred in Mid Ulster, far from Moss side and have no family connections to Manchester, but as a very young lad in '76 seen a fair haired left winger play on tv and the "king of all geordies" win the league cup, decided that City were my team.
Yes I am a glory hunter, yes I am a tourist.
I have been to watford on a few occassions, the swamp on a number of occassions, had a city card or a season ticket for over ten years but i am not a good enough blue for the OP?
34,000 blues in Maine Road, for league games, where were they when we played Wimbledon in the League cup?
At the first indoor net a young member of my cricket club seen me in the training top and asked "how long have you followed City?"
I finished my warm-up and removed the Umbro Etihad top to reveal a Kappa Brother top, Sorry you are a blue, or so i thought, now it appears I am not aBlue, and neither was Anna, cause she was not born and bred Manc.

The more the merrier.

If we were getting 100,000+ with 40,000 'old school' City fans and 60,000 new arrivals I would welcome each and every one with open arms. As long as they contribute to a fantastic atmosphere and a successful City.

I'm with a previous poster - I was there through division two and it doesn't make me any better than anyone else.

law74 said:
Born and bred in Mid Ulster, far from Moss side and have no family connections to Manchester, but as a very young lad in '76 seen a fair haired left winger play on tv and the "king of all geordies" win the league cup, decided that City were my team.
Yes I am a glory hunter, yes I am a tourist.
I have been to watford on a few occassions, the swamp on a number of occassions, had a city card or a season ticket for over ten years but i am not a good enough blue for the OP?
34,000 blues in Maine Road, for league games, where were they when we played Wimbledon in the League cup?
At the first indoor net a young member of my cricket club seen me in the training top and asked "how long have you followed City?"
I finished my warm-up and removed the Umbro Etihad top to reveal a Kappa Brother top, Sorry you are a blue, or so i thought, now it appears I am not aBlue, and neither was Anna, cause she was not born and bred Manc.

You are a Blue in my eyes Lawman, thats for sure!!

Good on ya pal!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.