Do you want the glory hunters/tourists?

The unfortunate thing is that continued CL inclusion comes with the downside of bandwagoners, plastics, tourists, corporates, prawns, Norwegians, Zulus, Hottentots, the Undead, and the Unwashed all being drawn to the action as night follows day. I would prefer to have the ground expanded to a couple of hundred in excess of the Swamp, filled with folk who are Mancs, ex-Mancs, resident Mancs, honorary Mancs, folk who have won Mancunianism in a raffle than the folk who want to do a bit of business and can't play golf and find themselves in a glass cocoon at CoMS. But I think I would have to find another planet first.

it should b around 90% of people who have some sort of link to manchester eg lived there or have family there

its just inevitable that this is gona happen, winners attract fans are we all glory hunters because we supported ricky hatton when he started boxing? a doubt many of us had seen him fight at the lower levels and didn't know about him till he popped up on the telly. i have a mate who is a liverpool fan never lived anywhere near anfield, but has been all over the world with them so is he any less of a supporter? no i dont think so. as long as somebody is willing to get up and show there love for there team it dont bother me.

CTID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all i would like to know what exactly constitues a 'fan'. What is the difference between a 'fan' and a 'supporter'? Is a 'fan' someone who perhaps leans towards a particular team when on the telly cos of the colour of their shirt or they like a particular player? Is a supporter someone who actually goes to the games, albeit if only once in a while thereby putting money through the turnstiles? I read in some article the other day that 'Man Utds 380,000,000 (yes, that is 380,000,000) 'fans' worldwide make it the biggest club. FFS ! how can u come up with a figure like that? just cos some fckin Maasi warrior in a village in Kenya was seen wearing a rag shirt doesnt make him a 'fan'!
I class myself as a supporter AND a fan, and would probably resent the bankwaggon jumpers when we start winning trophies as they havent been through the thin and thin of MCFC as i have.!
By the way, i never saw so many blue shirts after THAT derby as i did that afternoon, so maybe we ARE on our way afterall!

bluebannana said:
it should b around 90% of people who have some sort of link to manchester eg lived there or have family there
Good job Sheikh Mansour doesn't think like this!!

It goes with the territory ... we need as many fans s possible.It doesn't take away the fact that you 'were there when we were shite 'etc etc.

More importantly kids kids kids ... encourage family stands and cheap tickets.I grew up in the early 70's when half the kids in Gtr Mcr were blue and half red save for the odd Leeds or Chelsea fan.Lets be honest ... in the last 10 to 15 years most kids are red in Manchester and those that are blue are so because they had like my own kids a Dad that would feed himself through a woodchipper before letting them don a red shirt.With success/good players and publicity we will attract kids independently.This will be our life blood for the future and ironically will form a base of Manchester blues for the future because a greater percentage of locals will become blue compared to the country/planet at large!

I once was a day- tripper many moons ago .

Went to Turkey years ago ,I was wondering the streets with my City top on , when all the Restaurant vendors would call out "Ah! Manchester United" . To which I would correct them . I went again two years ago and its all "Ah! Manchester City "....

"It aint where your from, its where your at "- Ian Brown, Stone Roses gig @ Blackpool, August 10th 1989 - CTID....

southaustralianblue said:
This debate makes me laugh. As an ex manc from Cheetham hill, when I first arrived in oz most people didn't even know city existed. As we have become more successful we now make the sports pages of the newspaper and that has got to be a good thing. I for one am encouraging all my mates to jump on board and I don't think we should be precious about who supports us. The important thing is that we don't lose our unique gallows humour and maintain the ability to take the piss out of ourselves

I am the same Ive been in perth for 6months and I feel like citys international ambassador. Wherever im working I like to talk city and try and get them to follow us as they try and get me to follow their auzzie rules team.
I have even donated city shirts to people who have got into watching us.

I as much as i enjoy recruiting fans, i also dont want to lose the closeness every blue has. We could be anywhere in the world and we all make a point of wearing our city shirt in hope a fellow blue will spot us and we will let on, as it makes our day.

I think its inevitable that we will get hangers on etc with people like me around the world and our up coming success. I just think that it is something we as fans will have to deal with and hopefully the club will have a way to deal with, the do claim to have the fans best interest and community spirit at heart.

As a City fan from London, taken to Maine Road for the first time when I was 10 - during the division 2 days, by my Uncle - i've lived my whole life surrounded by glory supporting cockney rag twats, who think Manchester begins and ends in Trafford, and the achievements of the 1990s are the sum of all footballing achievement!

As much as I know I'm not a glory supporter - i get the impression others think I am over the past year or two at eastlands, cos of my accent. So its hard for me to form an opinion on 'tourists' without sounding a little hypocritical.

However, to echoe what others have said - as long as your supporting City - and stay true to the city ethos which makes our club so unique, I dont think it should be a problem. A few weeks ago at the Wigan game, a few Korean people were sitting behind me - they spoke throughout the game to each other in Korean - but whenever a song started they sung louder than anyone else around us in perfect english!! and were giving the ref shit aswell! If thats the kind of tourist we invite, then I dont mind atall.

A word of advice to potential glory hunters. Don't choose City.

We aren't a safe bet. We fuck things up when it would be easier to succeed. We contrive to shoot ourselves in the foot at every opportunity. We lose in the cups to lower league opposition as a matter of course. It drives us mad but we love it in a way you could never understand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.