Does anybody feel “different” since Istanbul?

Normally im itching for the season to get going again, but this summer im totally switched off from football and just content with no stress weekends. Last season (particularly May and June) i doubt will ever be topped for stress, joy, hangovers, money spent on football, it was just incredible.

We've had that whole CL narrative building year on year and now and if we'd lost that final it would be constant all season. We can go into this new season with zero pressure and just enjoy whatever else comes our way. Less stress on the outcome going forward and just enjoy what we have.

That is understandable, and it is also why I am feeling numb by the lack of changes in the summer market so far. We can’t ask the same players in the same squad make up to climb those same high mountains with the same energy; they’re just not going to do it. I can even see it in advance: they get to the business end of the season and start saving energy for the Euros as they have already proven themselves in 22/23.

We’re not owed anything by football gods, not even a top 4 spot, or a guaranteed CL knockout round qualification. If you look at the two finalists in the previous Champions League: Real Madrid had been La Liga champions and CL winners, finished ten points behind Barcelona, got humiliated by us with their decadent midfield and scraped a win the domestic cup final; Liverpool had finished one point behind us, won two domestic cups and CL finalists, and finished outside the top 4.

Hilariously, the only signing we have made so far is a 29 year-old guy who has not one, but four CL medals, albeit not contributing much to them. But how motivated will he be remains a mystery.

I am at a point where I want every single player talked about with an offer to leave — Bernardo, Mahrez, Walker, Laporte, Phillips (especially). Some of them, particularly Bernardo, will hurt, but he’s wanted his move for so long. It seems the club needs to be forced into a situation of bringing in new blood and hunger, even if some ideal targets have already been signed for elsewhere.

I am far more afraid of nothing changing than too much change, looking at next season. I keep reading, “I am prepared for us to not win anything next season!” Well, I’m not. We have two seasons left with Pep, and throwing one of those away because of complacency would be a huge mistake.

I want to win the fourth PL in a row, something that hasn’t been done. I want us to join the club of clubs that have won two CLs in a row. And everything else! It would be a disservice to waste the pull that Pep has in bringing in certain players now when next summer, with one year left, it’s going to be a harder job convincing some of the top drawer names. Not to mention that we could be hit with a transfer ban in a year or two, so we should be prepared for that as well.

Ultimately, I want next season to be as much a challenge and new and exciting for us as it should be for the players. That’s what should be next.
Easy to say all that, but we can’t do anything until these players actually leave. In an ideal world they’d all be open and honest to us but that’s not how the murky world of football now operates, agents will be “playing the game” all over the place.

I feel city will be different now in Champions League, a bit like Real Madrid. The fees of never winning it has gone and I think the next final we play , it’ll be more confidence and an easier watch. I hope for st least the last two seasons we have with Pep that we win it again in a manor our play and dominance over the past few years deserves.
That’s my thoughts too, I want us to win it now by destroying some of the big teams, would enjoy us walloping the scousers at some point!

I can't help but feel it would have been so much better if we'd done it with academy players and those we'd bought through wealth generated through success rather than oil money. It just feels hollow and I can't look back at the CL final without thinking about the PL charges. I just don't know if I can do football anymore. I might switch to golf or F1 where it's not just a playground for the wealthy.

I’ve certainly felt different, had the shits ever since I came back, reached its height last week where I was shitting and coughing up blood, quacks this Thursday.

I think its nice that the last stick they had to beat us with has now been removed (although im sure they'll find new ones). Its just nice that this team, this club has picked up all the vitriol that they had to throw and all the you'll never be big till you do this, you'll never be elite till you do this nonsense and gone okay lets do it, what else you got.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.