Does Gary Cook understand this club?

He's just putting a positive spin in things - City's marketing has gone into overdrive and they are attempting to give the club a 'feel good' factor.
Whoever is in charge of the marketing is doing a fantastic job, look out for more of the same coming from the club throughout the season.

He's wide of the mark about CTID but he's 100% right about the 'typical City' thing. It's a nice little joke amongst blues but it's taken as gospel by everyone else & at the moment is the image our club presents to the world; well meaning incompetence & 'what can go wrong will'. Outsiders don't take 'typical City' to mean coming back to beat Spuds or Gillingham, they take it to mean having the richest owners in the world & losing at home to Notts Forest.

Imagine trying to sell the club to Lionel Messi? How long would it take his people to come accross the 'typical City' crap on the net as our history? Our friends use it as a bit of fun, our enemies use it to take the piss & keep us down.

If we want to succeed & we wan't our owners to remain interested in the club ( it was boughtg to promote their country remember; do they want 'typical Abu Dhabi?') the 'typical City' bunch of losers tag has to go.

Prophet of Doom said:
*singingtheblues* said:
I must say ol' Cookie is very adept at making himself look a giant tit.

We all know the man tries his best, but he really should think before he takes that enormous masonry block of a chin for a wobble.

Every non blue I've spoken to who happens to know of Cook thinks he's a grade A twat - and who can blame them?

I just wish he's do a little research before he tries to pigeon hole us all, and makes these ignorant generic blanket statements...

They're fucking embarrassing.

Off the top of my head I could reel off dozens of examples of ignorant shite that's rolled off his tongue, but I won't... because that wouldn't be constructive - and I'd be here all fucking day!

However, I will say that Garry should give up on trying to be some sort of sky blue Mancunian ambassador for the "global market" - as he's clearly not very good at it.

I'd just like him to do a little research, keep his head down, and forget about trying to get in the limelight every 5 minutes.

What an absolute load of bollocks.

Anybody that has had the opportunity to meet Gary Cook, whether it be in a Danish bar, or at a fans forum will tell you that he is a class bloke.

How does he court publicity ?? FFS he has given an interview to the clubs new website to try and explain that the club are trying to lose their typical city tag.

He got heavily critisized after the kaka deal for his comments when he got back. But who can blame him. Milan treated him like a **** and he was pissed off that he was made to look a fool by the Milan bullshit pr machine. Since then he has chosen his words better. But I wouldnt swap him for any other chief exec.

His job is to try and get City's name out there. We are trying to sign players that under normal circumstances wouldnt want to join us, so we have to try and boost our profile.

Anybody else saying they would rather keep the typical city tag really should see a fuckin doctor, cause Ive done that shit for 30 years. Now its payback time for all those typical city moments

Look, mate I'm not interested in how much of a nice bloke he is, whether or not he's good company to keep while sipping on a pint - I really couldn't give two shits.

For me it's how good he is at his job - and as far as I'm concerned he's been spectacularly mediocre, with few clangers thrown in for good measure.

I know he tries his best, but he worries me, I'm not convinced at all.

If he's to convince myself and others who aren't sure of the man he'll have to cut out all the shite - which I covered in my original post.

His glossy Americanisms and marketing cliches don't cut it in football, and they're also anything but endearing. He's not a football man (which he acknowledges himself), and for a man who holds a very powerful position at a football club to have no past experience in that particular line of work, is ever so slightly daft if you ask me...

That is by far his greatest weakness - which is one enormous achilles heel indeed.

He's learning, we all know that, yet from what I can see he really isn't learning fast enough.

The jury's still out on Cook.

*singingtheblues* said:
Prophet of Doom said:
*singingtheblues* said:

We all know the man tries his best, but he really should think before he takes that enormous masonry block of a chin for a wobble.

Every non blue I've spoken to who happens to know of Cook thinks he's a grade A twat - and who can blame them?

I just wish he's do a little research before he tries to pigeon hole us all, and makes these ignorant generic blanket statements...

Off the top of my head I could reel off dozens of examples of ignorant shite that's rolled off his tongue, but I won't... because that wouldn't be constructive - and I'd be here all fucking day!

However, I will say that Garry should give up on trying to be some sort of sky blue Mancunian ambassador for the "global market" - as he's clearly not very good at it.

I'd just like him to do a little research, keep his head down, and forget about trying to get in the limelight every 5 minutes.

Anybody that has had the opportunity to meet Gary Cook, whether it be in a Danish bar, or at a fans forum will tell you that he is a class bloke.

How does he court publicity ?? FFS he has given an interview to the clubs new website to try and explain that the club are trying to lose their typical city tag.

He got heavily critisized after the kaka deal for his comments when he got back. But who can blame him. Milan treated him like a **** and he was pissed off that he was made to look a fool by the Milan bullshit pr machine. Since then he has chosen his words better. But I wouldnt swap him for any other chief exec.

His job is to try and get City's name out there. We are trying to sign players that under normal circumstances wouldnt want to join us, so we have to try and boost our profile.

Anybody else saying they would rather keep the typical city tag really should see a fuckin doctor, cause Ive done that shit for 30 years. Now its payback time for all those typical city moments

Look, mate I'm not interested in how much of a nice bloke he is, whether or not he's good company to keep while sipping on a pint - I really couldn't give two shits.

For me it's how good he is at his job - and as far as I'm concerned he's been spectacularly mediocre, with few clangers thrown in for good measure.

If he's to convince myself and others who aren't sure of the man he'll have to cut out all the shite - which I covered in my original post.

His glossy Americanisms and marketing cliches don't cut it in football, and they're also anything but endearing. He's not a football man (which he acknowledges himself), and for a man who holds a very powerful position at a football club to have no past experience in that particular line of work, is ever so slightly daft if you ask me...

That is by far his greatest weakness - which is one enormous achilles heel indeed.

He's learning, we all know that, yet from what I can see he really isn't learning fast enough.

The jury's still on out Cook.

Of course it was run so much better when John Wardle and Frankie were pulling the strings !!

Marketing cliches ?? Which ones you talking about ?? The ones he said when he first came in 12 months ago ??

The club is run so much better than we were previously that its untrue. I presume you care not to remember how things were under Wardle or Frankie.

Would you rather somebody that listens to the fans, or somebody like David Gill or Kenyon that never has to deal with them.

Youve got an opinion. I'll base mine on the times I have met him and listened to him talk passionately about the club, and the way senior people at City talk about him.

We are lucky to have him !

*singingtheblues* said:
Prophet of Doom said:
*singingtheblues* said:

The jury's still out on Cook.

I'm with you on this mate..

I think he's doing a lot better. Things are coming along very well. I'm having to get used to the idea that we look to be a very well organised club off the pitch.

Along with Real, we've really set the agenda in the transfer market. This is vital to our success on the pitch, we need to be able to get OUR targets, and not end up with expensive 'flavour-of-the-month' youngsters, flaky lightweight 'talents' or 'big names' with no appetite for the hard work that lays ahead, looking for a retirement home.

Most other clubs are running scared. Take our relationship with Chelsea. In the early part of the season, we paid top dollar for their unwanted players, whilst they've turned Danny Sturridge's head and sniffed around Robinho. Now we've made such a strong play for Terry, they'll think twice about messing around with us again.

At the same time, we're not just being bullies, we've established good relationships with several top european sides, and are close to doing some very good business with Everton.

The new website is an emblem of the focus on the fans that seems to be key to everything City are doing.... I've lost count of the people who compliment Cook and Hughes for being bothered to come out to the Supporters Clubs.

So I'm going to stand up for him here, and say that I can understand that from an outside perspective, city til i die is probably not the right message to take world-wide. It's not about what it means to you personally, but in a broader context, it has a negative, morbid, connotation. Translate it into different languages and cultures, and it will seem downright distasteful to some people. He's paid to understand this stuff, and I think it's fair to start a debate about it. I can understand that people mean it when they say it, and it's a matter of pride and commitment, and I'm sure Garry realizes that too. But seriously, who the fuck wants to be 'typical city' any more though?

Put simply, Cook is doing a great, if not unbelievable, job that has proved pretty fucking difficult in the past. I am desperate for the Marquee signings as we all are but lets keep the faith in Chinny. I for one believe he will get it right. He seems to have learned a lot since KaKa, hence my frustration at the lack of back page headlines quoting Cook and Co til hopefully the deals are done....

Surely the message to take world wide, is spoken by what City do on the pitch and not, by what the fan's say with their
"typical City and CTID".
These are minor things in the world wide sense, just as I see some of the gaffs that Cook has made as minor.
There was only one gaff, I felt should have been kept in house and that was when he admitted on TV, that Robinho had left
the camp.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.