Does the offside rule need changing?

For start, they should start checking offside against the part of the body used to play the ball when in alleged offside position. What I've seen so far, VAR would immediately clear 70-80% of all offside situations, because there would be nothing to check. What's the point checking armpits and some imaginary shoulder line when the ball is played by foot.
Like sprinters in athletics, as long as the feet are in the blocks and the fingers of both hands are on the line, how far forward the athlete manages to lean, how long is his/her neck and skull does not matter.

the one big problem that people are missing is the ball leaving the foot. it could be the one thing that video replays does not work great with or gets checked proper with VAR. maybe a sensor in both ball and players boot would be better

why not even have a senor on the players backs with them vest they wear and use that as a offside rule ? forget what part of the body is in or over the line just use a senor and if they don't match up or level your onside or offside

its funny they show how many miles your run and what part of the pitch you been running in. should be a easy fix to make a computer that can scan every part of the pitch and have A or B sensors for players and bingo

I thought var was going to be a major help & step forward just like the goal-line tech was, couldn’t have been more wrong its a disgrace

the one big problem that people are missing is the ball leaving the foot. it could be the one thing that video replays does not work great with or gets checked proper with VAR. maybe a sensor in both ball and players boot would be better

why not even have a senor on the players backs with them vest they wear and use that as a offside rule ? forget what part of the body is in or over the line just use a senor and if they don't match up or level your onside or offside

its funny they show how many miles your run and what part of the pitch you been running in. should be a easy fix to make a computer that can scan every part of the pitch and have A or B sensors for players and bingo
I like this, it would be instant like goal line technology. The only issue might be players will learn how to exploit it with body shape (leaning forward or back?) and we could get a lot of great goals disallowed because the centre back leaned forward when the ball was played forward.

I would prefer the idea of the technology being in the boots, this has the dual benefit of pinpointing when the ball was played forward and the positions of every player feet at that instant.

I like this, it would be instant like goal line technology. The only issue might be players will learn how to exploit it with body shape (leaning forward or back?) and we could get a lot of great goals disallowed because the centre back leaned forward when the ball was played forward.

I would prefer the idea of the technology being in the boots, this has the dual benefit of pinpointing when the ball was played forward and the positions of every player feet at that instant.
Sounds good but if the sensors are in the backs of shirts it would raise a problem if the attacker had his back to goal and the defender was facing the goal. The attacker's sensor would be further forward and it would be given as offside even if they were level.
VAR was intended to resolve clear and obvious errors. Somebody being offside by a couple of millimetres is not a clear and obvious error.
VAR isn't the problem. It's the implementation, particularly by Old Mother Riley and his gang of clowns that is the problem.

i think my idea would be a centre point right down the middle of the player back. it does not matter what you did or how you precision yourself its would always be central in that chest vest

but your right the ball sensor or boot sensor has to be looked at because the ball leaving the foot is the most important part of the offside we over look

Why not scrap the rule altogether? It’s original intent was to stop goal hanging. If a team wanted to revert to those tactics in the modern game, then they would merely disadvantage themselves in other areas of the pitch. Getting rid of the rule would produce a more free flowing game and more goals at both ends.

RelievedFearfulBlackfootedferret-size_restricted.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.