Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronald Reagan was belittled in the UK as a Joke in 1981. He fixed the US economy and ended the cold war and eventually(after he left office) the berlin wall came down and the USSR collapsed.
While I don't for one minute expect Trump to have a similar impact I'm certainly not at all worried that he's going to be some kind of lunatic president.
GOP have both houses and the president now so they have an opportunity to do stuff which the last dude didn't.

I have lots of American friends and colleagues. The overriding impression I got from all of them on both side of the political spectrum was that Obama was a poor president and nobody likes Hillary.

Just noticed the US play Mexico in a World Cup qualifier on Friday. Should be interesting....

Yeah, because Trump really understands the nuance of the issues America faces on a geopolitical stage. . . A man who asked about nuclear arms with a view to using them 3 times in the space of a one hour meeting.

Everyone blames 'the elite' as if a vote for The Right (and especially a vote for Trump- the rich white man) isn't a vote for the privileged elite!

What he does ro doesn't understand is pretty much irrelevant. HE appears to understand whereas Clinton didn't seem to care

What part of war isn't doom and gloom? Do you honestly think a guy like him who has to make everything about his dick isn't going to start a war?

Well as I haven't got a crystal ball I've no idea how things will pan out, but as you seem to know everything that's gonna happen could you also pass on next weeks lotto numbers

Even if that were so, it's likely that he'll be convinced they already have them. Proof doesn't matter, it's what he reads on the internet that resonates with him. He subscribes to crazy (and I mean crazy) conspiracy theory sites like InfoWars and Breitbart. Just check out those two sites and tell me that it's cool to have somebody who believes that stuff in charge of anything.

You seem to be flailing around in a bit of a panic.

Chill out a bit, he's not going to rule by executive order and even though though it's a republican house and senate - they all hate him, didn't support him, and won't back him.

The sky is not falling.

He has always come across to me as a man who likes 2 things. Power and Money. I cant see him doing too much to upset the applecart for the next 4 years whilst he has access to both of these.

I didn't hear too many references to building walls at the border with Mexico in his acceptance speech today. I get the feeling he will say anything that is needed to appeal to the people. I guess the people of America just wanted a change of party after 8 years.

You can criticise Trump, and the people who voted for him, but at the end of the day they lost to a reality TV guy, and a fractured Republican party. They only have themselves to blame.
There was a good quote just on 5Live that neatly sums it all up for me: "The Democrats took Trump literally, but not seriously. The people who voted for him took him seriously, but not literally."

It's astonishing how badly the Democrats have fucked this up.

I have lots of American friends and colleagues. The overriding impression I got from all of them on both side of the political spectrum was that Obama was a poor president and nobody likes Hillary.

Same here, Hilary was hated by a lot of people. Obama was seen as ineffectual even though he did quite a lot of what he set out to do and was crippled by the system.

Seems to be a major protest vote against the political elite but put in a 1%er. very very odd world.

Same here, Hilary was hated by a lot of people. Obama was seen as ineffectual even though he did quite a lot of what he set out to do and was crippled by the system.

Seems to be a major protest vote against the political elite but put in a 1%er. very very odd world.

How else could a more or less independent candidate compete against the spending power of their rival? Trump may not be the right solution, but he (or someone like him) was the only anti-establishment option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.