Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel so sorry for Hillary, her husband cheated with Monica Lewinsky and now she's failed to become president on TWO occasions

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

So what would you propose? If imported goods are better and/or cheaper, how would you propose to force people to buy the more expensive inferior goods? Would you impose import tariffs and thereby burden everyone with higher costs than they would otherwise have to pay, i.e. make everyone poorer? Or pump in government subsidy to make the domestic goods artificially cheaper? And if so, how would you fund that? By taking money off everyone and making everyone poorer.

Propping up uncompetitive industry does not work, never has worked, never will work. I give you British Leyland, Rolls-Royce (once nationalised), the entire UK coal industy, British Steel. I could go on and on. And by the way, have you ever worked with with these businesses? I have, extensively. They were all a complete joke.

A much better long term solution is to encourage high quality, high value-add activity where high wages can be justified and sustained and gradually transition away from low-cost, low-value add activites leaving the countries that want to do the "shit" jobs to have them. British Steel (later Corus) realised just this back in 1999. They saw that their USP was their expertise in how to make high quality steels for particular requirements, NOT the actual making of it. It was the IP that was valuable, and they saw that there was going to be no money to be made in doing the shitty work of actually making the stuff. Unfortunately they didn't have the bottle to actually do anything about it, having had this realisation, so they just sat and waited for the inevitable.
You've highlighted the classic case against tariffs and it's a valid one. You've also got to make sure that your own manufacturers can fill the gap that restricting imports will create. But we've been sold a story that globalisation and trade liberalism is an unequivocally good thing when clearly there are numerous negative consequences in that as well.

The rich voted for Trump?

I thought he'd done particularly well with white working class, non college educated, males?

I suppose it depends on the classification of rich, but seeing as he lost the popular vote and won the states that are generally less affluent I'm at a loss to marry the two up.

I was going off a combination of exit polls (as much as they can be trusted now) that those earning over $50k voted overwhelmingly for Trump/Republican.

That's no great surprise as Republicans always pick up that vote.

As American friends have said, they know Republicans that can't stand Trump but would always vote for their party.

I'm not into world politics but I said it the first time I heard his story... he's already a billionaire that's the worst possible candidate for most of the population because who's interests do you think he will want to protect? The working class and the poor... or the rich and powerful? If money is power and power corrupts(and absolute power corrupts absolutely... you know the saying), then the soon to be most powerful man in the world could be bad for so many people.

I'm not saying I agree at all but i saw this on a journalists twitter and thought it was interesting regarding the types of aggressive groups you've probably read supporting Trump online:

"The radicalisation of especially white men online is at astronomical levels"

"Trump managed to unite all this radicalised groups such as out and out racists, sexists, meninists, anti-globalists, conspiracy theorists"

"They truly believe that it is feminists, globalists, anti-racism activists and liberals who are the "true fascists" in the world."

"That's why I never got one strategy of Clinton's campaign: e.g. highlighting Trump's sexism. Trump supporters love him BECAUSE of his sexism"

I think its a bit stupid to say the result was because of these people but these groups sure did root for Trump.

The US has form for voting in absolute clowns, Nixon, Reagan, Bush so this fuckwit getting a turn in the oval office ain't as big a suprise as you would think. The difference being he ain't been in public office before.

Let's see how all the trump supporters who expected all his piss and wind speeches to come true react, when they realise the president may be powerful, but Cogress is the real ruler and I would doubt some of his rhetoric will be passed by them.

In the end this year has hopefully proved that capitalisms 30 year experiment with a neoliberal model alienating the many while rewarding the few that has left many disenfranchised and anti the old establishment heads.

Also Clinton won the popular vote but the electoral college is as fucking useless as our fislrst past the post shote
Congress is Republican, the House is Republican and President is Republican. I doubt he’ll be losing too much sleep about getting stuff passed.

I'm not into world politics but I said it the first time I heard his story... he's already a billionaire that's the worst possible candidate for most of the population because who's interests do you think he will want to protect? The working class and the poor... or the rich and powerful? If money is power and power corrupts(and absolute power corrupts absolutely... you know the saying), then the soon to be most powerful man in the world could be bad for so many people.

Who was the last poor president or prime minister for that matter?

You've highlighted the classic case against tariffs and it's a valid one. You've also got to make sure that your own manufacturers can fill the gap that restricting imports will create. But we've been sold a story that globalisation and trade liberalism is an unequivocally good thing when clearly there are numerous negative consequences in that as well.

Yes, but they are negative consequences for people that "don't matter". Well, the people who don't matter have had their grotesque and fearful revenge, aided and abetted by poor dumb white folk and a fair old smattering of men and women who should know better. Oh! and of course the misogynists, racists and homophobes.

It's clearly a winning combination.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.