Donald Trump

What do you view as weaknesses in the US system of governance or the US constitution and how would you change them for the better?

As a practical matter, little is likely to change; so my question is in the realm of hypothetical/aspirational as opposed to something which might foreseeably occur.
Off the top of my head... I'm not enamored of the way judges are appointed. And I'm not at all a fan of the electoral college system. Citizens United should be overturned.

I think, deep down, everyone knows there are problems with the constitution and the various institutions. You have mentioned some.

What I find incredible (yes, as an outsider) is the view espoused on here by some that it is bad actors that are the problem rather than the constitutional set-up. Compare it to laws. Bad laws don't last very long. No-one ever says bad laws aren't a problem, the only problem is people who break the law. Bad laws get changed sharpish.

I could easily be missing something but a principled acceptance of the status quo isn't going to help. By all means says nothing is going to change, so it's all moot. But that is a different, and rather hopeless (as in lack of hope, rather than just poor), argument.

Bad actors do bad things > bad actors use weaknesses in the system/constitution > bad actors get away with bad things.

Rinse and repeat.

Then blame the bad actors, not the weaknesses in the system/constitution that allow the bad behaviour in the first place.

It's akin to the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument.
Yes, it’s such a weak system, there have been so many bad actors, and they’ve all done what Trump has each and every year for nearly 250 of them.

Still waiting for the specific weaknesses to be described. No, the fact that a President is packing the court isn’t a hole — Presidents have been doing it forever, as anyone who had read a single book on the USC would know — and somehow society didn’t collapse.

More than that, I’m still waiting for the many PhD-in-political-science geniuses who post here to give us detailed, specific solutions for fixing these problems, and especially tell us all how easy it would be to legislate said fixes.

It’s like the moaning on the match day thread for all the better-than-Peps there.

I think, deep down, everyone knows there are problems with the constitution and the various institutions. You have mentioned some.

What I find incredible (yes, as an outsider) is the view espoused on here by some that it is bad actors that are the problem rather than the constitutional set-up. Compare it to laws. Bad laws don't last very long. No-one ever says bad laws aren't a problem, the only problem is people who break the law. Bad laws get changed sharpish.

I could easily be missing something but a principled acceptance of the status quo isn't going to help. By all means says nothing is going to change, so it's all moot. But that is a different, and rather hopeless (as in lack of hope, rather than just poor), argument.
I guarantee you are 100 percent easily missing something.

These American posters go all Trump when you mention what a bag of fuckin shite their constitution is.
Many countries are similar, laws written over 200 years ago can have little relevance indeed we probably have many hundreds of years on America with ours, it’s just many of those old ones aren’t enforced or taken seriously anymore. Americans will never get rid of their guns, there’s too many to start with but they will just have to accept we all think they are wrong as they mourn their children shot to death in school.

How many active shooters are ever killed by our gun toting friends across the pond? You know all those places you can carry one?

Probably very few but being stuck in a store room with only my wits to defend my family definitely gives you a different perspective. My sense told me an active shooter in a mall isn’t going to box themselves in to a store room unless they wanted to take hostages and I wouldn’t be minded to run out in to the mall for a shoot out with them if I did have a gun.

I was struck by the chaos of it all, there was this American kid who stood like a statue in the store room. As straight as he could with his back hard against a rack. His dad giving him instructions on what to do if the shooter came in, asking me to help him, Mrs MB comforting a sobbing young store lass as she called her mum - mostly trying to stop her giving our location away. I’d positioned myself thinking if the shooter did come in the store room they would lead barrel first and I was at a right angle to where they would walk before getting to my wife and daughter and would try and grab it. It’s really easy for us to be critical of them from the comfort of our own front rooms when we don’t experience what they do, but having been in that situation, unless they make guns illegal (preferable) the answer probably is more guns. And as a Brit just typing that sounds mental!

Yes, it’s such a weak system, there have been so many bad actors, and they’ve all done what Trump has each and every year for nearly 250 of them.

Still waiting for the specific weaknesses to be described. No, the fact that a President is packing the court isn’t a hole — Presidents have been doing it forever, as anyone who had read a single book on the USC would know — and somehow society didn’t collapse.

More than that, I’m still waiting for the many PhD-in-political-science geniuses who post here to give us detailed, specific solutions for fixing these problems, and especially tell us all how easy it would be to legislate said fixes.

It’s like the moaning on the match day thread for all the better-than-Peps there.

Beau of the 5th had a good go at it a few years ago.

Beau of the 5th had a good go at it a few years ago.

Again, I am not referring to the Second Amendment. We know the Constitution will age and its prescriptions will become antiquated. Moreover the framers knew it too. That’s why we can amend it. That’s why they’re called Amendments. And they themselves can be amended.

The criticism of the others here is to the systemic structural failure of the institutions and I continue to await an explanation for what this means and how to fix it.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.