Donald Trump

All accurate -- but also speaks to my point. No system can fully protect itself from bad actors. At the end of the day we rely on the voters to do that, and for those in power themselves to self-police. That some in the GOP have hit on the "election fraud" thematic so directly pretty much tells you how strong the overall Federal institutions are -- that's where they see the weak point, because the process is largely controlled by the individual states.
The US seems to believe that a vote legitimises all, rendering decisions more democratic. I think that is why so many of these processes are poor. Little effort goes into the process in the belief that in the end a vote will suffice. Voting actually just politicises things. Hence where a DA is elected, he/she will find themselves attacked for the content of their campaign in an attempt to derail a prosecution.
“Her campaign was ‘I will get Trump’. This is the weaponisation of government.” If you just rely on the voter, you are open to demagoguery.
One area where the processes are strong is in the administrative state where a body of experts give life to congress’s laws on items such as water and air purity by making regulations. SCOTUS now says this is unconstitutional and has eviscerated those bodies. Then on to the next ‘democratic’ step and SCOTUS is likely to suspend all environmental regulations when the case comes before them shortly. Of course this is nothing to do with constitutional rectitude but is merely a way of helping Trump’s funders amongst oil companies and others.
Ultimately the SCOTUS justices went though a democratic process which just relied on a congressional majority and had nothing to do with their fitness for office. I look forward to the day when an elephant becomes a justice.

The US seems to believe that a vote legitimises all, rendering decisions more democratic. I think that is why so many of these processes are poor. Little effort goes into the process in the belief that in the end a vote will suffice. Voting actually just politicises things. Hence where a DA is elected, he/she will find themselves attacked for the content of their campaign in an attempt to derail a prosecution.
“Her campaign was ‘I will get Trump’. This is the weaponisation of government.” If you just rely on the voter, you are open to demagoguery.
One area where the processes are strong is in the administrative state where a body of experts give life to congress’s laws on items such as water and air purity by making regulations. SCOTUS now says this is unconstitutional and has eviscerated those bodies. Then on to the next ‘democratic’ step and SCOTUS is likely to suspend all environmental regulations when the case comes before them shortly. Of course this is nothing to do with constitutional rectitude but is merely a way of helping Trump’s funders amongst oil companies and others.
Ultimately the SCOTUS justices went though a democratic process which just relied on a congressional majority and had nothing to do with their fitness for office. I look forward to the day when an elephant becomes a justice.

The elephant in the room already exists in that context ....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.