Donald Trump

However it is meant, all it does is rile up U.K. readers.
“How it is meant” is a very important aspect of all language, and should be even for Brits.

Communication is a multitude of factors, not just the words, but inflection, volume, context and even non-verbal clues. Removing so many of our inputs to our understanding of communication, which the written word does, is why context becomes more important…to those wishing to understand.

Like in 2016?
Yes!

It’s funny how so many people who have zero understanding of how U.S. elections work, are allowed to vote for people who are supposed to do the work if the people.

Sadly, American democracy, which is really a democratic republic, often revolves around a small number of votes in an often very non-diverse location understanding the gravity of their vote.

In elections where the popular vote has almost no meaning at all, strategic campaigning and electioneering become increasingly important. The oversized effects of the “swing states” not only creates a strange election experience, but also the manner in which election data is presented can create narratives that are simply untrue.

IMG_0417.jpeg

This is a map from the NYT that goes down to the precinct, or neighborhood level, showing a 2:1 Democratic over Republican vote, yet it shows as deep blue. However, if the small precinct box on this map had 867 small squares that were 2 Blue for every 1 Red, the map would look a lot more purple than anything…and the dummies might realize we are not nearly as divided as the “Blue or Red” maps produced by even a single majority vote.

Here is an historical, interactive “purple” map which might interest some.

And, even most “purple” maps don’t help show how many ELECTORAL COLLEGE votes (based on population) they receive!

Accordingly…

Last edited:
“How it is meant” is a very important aspect of all language, and should be even for Brits.

Communication is a multitude of factors, not just the words, but inflection, volume, context and even non-verbal clues. Removing so many of our inputs to our understanding of communication, which the written word does, is why context becomes more important…to those wishing to understand.
It’s a predominantly UK board. When Brits see capitalised words, they assume anger and shouting.

It’s up to you whether you and your compatriots continue your use of them, but it’ll largely end up in suggesting you stop shouting.

Yes, I understand the “sensationalist tabloid” aspect of “shouty headlines,” but I feel like sentient mirror foggers (like most here) should be able to tell the difference between that and trying to emphasize a point. That’s where the context comes in.

In short, it’s “stand out” not a “shout out.”
We use bold for that.

We use bold for that.
Yes, I see that…barely, as it doesn’t stand out nearly as much, thus the emphasis can get lost.

I get it.

Personally, it’s much easier, when typing, to hit one key (CAPS LOCK) to effectuate the emphasis, than to stop typing and move the cursor over the “B,” then type, then move the cursor back over the “B.” Highlighting the text, then using the “B” is even more of a pain…in my experience.

I will attempt to do better, because just as context is important so is the audience!

Yes, I see that…barely, as it doesn’t stand out nearly as much, thus the emphasis can get lost.

I get it.

Personally, it’s much easier, when typing, to hit one key (CAPS LOCK) to effectuate the emphasis, than to stop typing and move the cursor over the “B,” then type, then move the cursor back over the “B.” Highlighting the text, then using the “B” is even more of a pain…in my experience.

I will attempt to do better, because just as context is important so is the audience!
Ctrl + b before you type in bold and then Crtl + b when you've finished.

I get it.

To be fair, there are lots of ways you can emphasise specific words…

But I think we’re getting wildly off topic here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.