Donald Trump

Does that translate as pretentious ****?
Not so much, but hypocritical. Same as that garden party during COVID that happened over there. Especially given how aggressive the state was on lockdowns here. A guy who doesn't understand how that looks right off the top has judgment issues, not to mention the upper-crust nature of the venue where it happened.

That said, he's a pragmatist (as all ex-mayors of San Francisco have been and must be to navigate the quite-frankly insane Board of Supervisors) and intellectually sharp. But how he could possibly win crossover voters/independents vs. Trump is beyond me. Biden has the best chance because he can lever his accomplishments and always has the bully pulpit in whatever form he chooses to utiliz(s)e as the incumbent. Do not discount the resources and the power of the President in office when campaigning starts in earnest.

Reagan came in after America felt utterly denuded, impotent and out of control. Losing Vietnam, Watergate, inflation, an aggressive Fed jacking rates, recession, the energy crisis (being held to ransom figuratively) and then the Iran hostage drama (being held to ransom literally). Carter was the best of men, but woefully ineffective. So Reagan wrapping himself in the flag was 1) honestly how he felt, 2) necessary in his mind politically to win and 3) an attempt to shift confidence levels in the future. History has been kind to Reagan’s first term; less his second (he delegated too much domestic policy to idiots and then there was Iran-Contra which he was too naive to prevent). So I look at his jingoism vs Trump’s fascism as very different. In many ways Reagan really was selflessly devoted to America — maybe more so than any President since, though that’s arguable. And certainly he birthed an awful lot of serious issues later — especially from a trickle-down laissez-faire economic perspective — but in many ways I think that’s due to his naïveté rather than him being sinister.
Reagan was a far more decent human being than Trump. Not even close.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.