Donald Trump

In theory.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on that being put into practice, much as I’d love to see it…him in jail, not him winning!

If he is given a custodial sentence for any crime, it is almost impossible to not see the sitting President commute the sentence, possibly with caveats.

Jailing ex-Presidents is a bad look, even with crooks this big.
I wonder whether certain people in potential danger from Trumpists would object to any commutation. Trump will never act in good faith and would cause trouble on release.

I'm no expert but there is some sort of appeals process. She is a very junior judge so its not a long shot.
Smith can apply to a higher court to get her removed on various grounds including bias. I’m baffled why he has not done this hitherto.

Smith can apply to a higher court to get her removed on various grounds including bias. I’m baffled why he has not done this hitherto.
Enough rope I think?

Just like Colombia's argument to the supreme court. Which was a well built case using current laws and political examples going back to writing of the constitution. However Trumps goons ignored it and decided to protect their great leader.

It's because he can only do it once, and it's a bit of a nuclear option. If he goes too soon and doesn't have enough evidence of systemic bias and gets knocked back then she isn't getting removed. He needs to wait until she's made enough factual and indisputable errors of law (not just generous interpretations but black and white errors), that the higher court has no other recourse but to remove her.

So far she has made two big errors which got reversed. A third would probably do the trick in proving bias. The problem is that Smith has to appeal for her to reverse her own decisions first before going up the chain. This is why she has suddenly done a 180 after massive delay when ruling the Defence could have access to sensitive documents. That would have definitely been reversed on appeal for national security reasons and then that would have been her third strike.

Basically, she can keep delaying and making errors, as long as she reverses them before it goes to appeal.

It's because he can only do it once, and it's a bit of a nuclear option. If he goes too soon and doesn't have enough evidence of systemic bias and gets knocked back then she isn't getting removed. He needs to wait until she's made enough factual and indisputable errors of law (not just generous interpretations but black and white errors), that the higher court has no other recourse but to remove her.

So far she has made two big errors which got reversed. A third would probably do the trick in proving bias. The problem is that Smith has to appeal for her to reverse her own decisions first before going up the chain. This is why she has suddenly done a 180 after massive delay when ruling the Defence could have access to sensitive documents. That would have definitely been reversed on appeal for national security reasons and then that would have been her third strike.

Basically, she can keep delaying and making errors, as long as she reverses them before it goes to appeal.
Yup.

She's being very calculated in delaying as long as possible.

I wonder whether certain people in potential danger from Trumpists would object to any commutation. Trump will never act in good faith and would cause trouble on release.
Oh, they’ll be millions who object to it, but Biden won’t be running for anything, ever again…even dinner, so he won’t care.

What is more important is the presidency and not turning into a Third World Dictatorship style Republic that jails political foes…even when they have committed crimes.

Secondly, I’m not suggesting a challenger for Biden, but a required replacement. We are a long way from November 5 and there’s a lot that can happen.
For what it’s worth, on News Agents USA a few weeks back they said they’d been told by senior people in the democrat party that a Whitmer/Warnock ticket was the fallback plan if Biden were to pull out for any reason.

I think the bigger reason is that (a) Removing her would be a 6 month delay minimum and (b) he doesn't really need to remove her, the 11th circuit has shown they're more than happy to reverse her decisions quickly when she oversteps.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.