Donald Trump

The thing that I find funny is the lack of zoning. Churches next to gun shops next to schools next to office buildings next to strip clubs next to empty lots filled with mud next to grocery stores.

Houston is pretty grim, though the area around Rice University is pleasant, and The Woodlands which is a planned development north of the intl airport (Bush) is very nice. But the weather is atrocious. Humid even in January.

While Houston is definitely one of my least favo(u)rite cities, I would inform those who have not been that Cleveland is called "the mistake by the lake" for a reason. I'd nominate that as my most uncomfortable travel destination. I also loathe Salt Lake City, though the mountains are quite lovely. The city, however, is awful.

Most underrated city in America is Pittsburgh. Most overrated is Miami. Work has taken me lots and lots of places -- I've been in 51 of America's 53 biggest metros, missing only Cincinnati and Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
Pretty much all of America is screwed up in terms of city planning and zoning. Suburbs in America are uniformly hell with high volume vehicle traffic prevalent in all areas coupled with an unwelcoming, sterile, concrete, neighborhood environment.

Vehicle traffic in residential areas and residential-adjoint areas should be extremely limited; open, traffic-free walking or biking to nearby areas for visiting neighbors, shopping, spending time in local parks, etc., should be the norm. This encourages interaction with passers-by and builds a sense of community. In such an environment, it feels safe to walk around and to engage with strangers. High speed vehicular access should be restricted to travel between distant locales.

Denmark (I think?) has the right of this - or maybe it's Sweden (or maybe both). America, on the other hand, is totally messed up.

Last edited:
Pretty much all of America is screwed up in terms of city planning and zoning. Suburbs in America are uniformly hell with high volume vehicle traffic prevalent in all areas coupled with an unwelcoming, sterile, concrete, neighborhood environment.

Vehicle traffic in residential areas and residential-adjoint areas should be extremely limited; open, traffic-free walking or biking to nearby areas for visiting neighbors, shopping, spending time in local parks, etc., should be the norm. This encourages interaction with passers-by and builds a sense of community. In such an environment, it feels safe to walk around and to engage with strangers. High speed vehicular access should be restricted to travel between distant locales.

Denmark (I think?) has the right of this - or maybe it's Sweden (or maybe both). America is totally messed up.
Bend, Oregon has neighborhoods like this mate . . . which is why I bought a house up there.

All that said, urban planning has not been made much easier by NIMBYism, the redlining of the past, and the incredibly high development fees/regulatory burdens of today.

Bend, Oregon has neighborhoods like this mate . . . which is why I bought a house up there.

All that said, urban planning has not been made much easier by NIMBYism, the redlining of the past, and the incredibly high development fees/regulatory burdens of today.
Cheers. I'll have to look up Bend.

Ha! I live in Cleveland. It’s far from perfect, but immeasurably better than it was 10 years ago and is on a steady upward trajectory. It kinda reminds me of where Manchester was in the 80s.
I also lived in Miami for 5 years and largely agree. Great place to visit, but not to live.
My son is at college in Cincy, I was just there on Sunday. You might like it - broadly similar to Cleveland, but made interesting by a topography similar to Pittsburgh (the topography of which is responsible for 90% of its charm IMO)
With a name like yours I would have expected you to live in Prestwich ;)

Ha! I live in Cleveland. It’s far from perfect, but immeasurably better than it was 10 years ago and is on a steady upward trajectory. It kinda reminds me of where Manchester was in the 80s.
I also lived in Miami for 5 years and largely agree. Great place to visit, but not to live.
My son is at college in Cincy, I was just there on Sunday. You might like it - broadly similar to Cleveland, but made interesting by a topography similar to Pittsburgh (the topography of which is responsible for 90% of its charm IMO)
I actually like Columbus OH okay so if Cincy is more like that I probably will like it.

My experiences in Cleveland have been clouded by time largely restricted to downtown to be fair. And it’s been a hot minute since I’ve been.

I actually like Columbus OH okay so if Cincy is more like that I probably will like it.

My experiences in Cleveland have been clouded by time largely restricted to downtown to be fair. And it’s been a hot minute since I’ve been.
I worked in Columbus for a time - 6 months or so, years ago. I really liked the city.

My time in Columbus was mostly spent downtown - and given my previous post about suburbia USA you'd think I'd have hated the city. And yet, Columbus, even downtown Columbus, had, for some reason, a clean, welcoming, small-town (small-city?) neighborhood feel.

Last edited:
With a name like yours I would have expected you to live in Prestwich ;)
I used to ;)

I think you’d like it a lot more now.
I worked in Columbus for a time - 6 months or so, years ago. I really liked the city.

My time in Columbus was mostly spent downtown - and given my previous post about suburbia USA you'd think I'd have hated the city. And yet, Columbus, even downtown Columbus, had, for some reason, a clean, welcoming, small-town (small-city?) neighborhood feel.
It helps when you’re the state capital. The city is growing like crazy too. As a whole though, I don’t like it anywhere near as much as Cleveland, or Cincinnati. Downtown is lifeless compared to those two and with the exception of Short North and German Village, the neighborhoods are very vanilla.

Anyway, I’ve taken this thread way off-topic, so let’s get back on track with some potentially happy news. By the way, until I read this article, I’d completely forgotten that Truth Social was a thing.

Trumps woman doing her best to get the SCOTUS position when her leader is re-elected.

Sorry - long post coming but for those who are interested in some of the finer points, I've been procrastinating writing an essay to look into this instead. Important note, I am not a lawyer so take my reading of it with a pinch of salt, I just read a lot of legal news, but even I can see the craziness in this because there are parts which just outright contradict written black and white law. It is that bad.

It's really hard to understate how fucking nuts this order from her is. There are just so many problems with it that it's hard to know where to start. According to those in the know, this might be the strangest thing to ever come out of a federal judge, it seems to belie the fact that she's not just shilling for Trump but she actually doesn't understand what the fuck she's doing at the most fundamental level. Just a few highlights:

1) She is asking for Smith to submit jury instructions that allow the jury to decide on matters of law. This is like Court 101, juries decide on matters of fact. You can't delegate the task of correctly classifying documents to a jury ffs. She is trying to frame this as an argument over a mater of fact... it is just not.

2) The second part of this order contradicts the first part, it's internally inconsistent. She's saying the classification of documents is not a matter of what the documents contain but under the whim of the executive (suggesting she is considering the argument Trump can declassify things with his mind - batshit). If that's the case then... why does 1 exist?

3) The appeals court has already unequivocally come down on argument (2) and stated that Trump has "no personal or possessory interest" in the documents - in other words, they are not personal documents, no matter what Trump says.

4) Whether a document is a personal document is decided very clearly in the PRA, it's like she hasn't even read it. She omits an entire section of classification in this ruling, "Agency Records" which many of these are as they were created by Agencies with no input from Trump or the Office of President. The PRA is quite clear that this type of document cannot be construed as a personal document - it also misunderstands that the PRA does not supersede existing law under the Espionage Act.

5) She's once again suggesting a jury with no clearance should have full and unredacted access to sensitive national security documentation.

The question is, what do they do now? I don't know... they could decide this is the point at which they ask for extraordinary relief (removal). I don't think they'll do that. I think in likeliness, Smith will basically just ignore this order completely - citing the appellate court's previous ruling, call her bluff - and challenge her to dismiss him for contempt. If she takes that bait then the chances of success for her getting removed will rocket because it's either her or Smith and only one of the two clearly has the law on their side.

In all likelihood she backs down and the circus continues...

I'm inclined to believe this, not, per se, because his current lawyers say so - Trump has been able to find lawyers willing to lie for him or willing/too stupid to be duped into his whatever he's claiming. Whereas numerous pundits have been skeptical that Trump could raise roughly 1/2 billion dollars to post bond.

It'll be interesting to see how Trump's appeal plays out. If Trump were a random complainant without history in the courts - I rather suspect that he'd get some relief with regard to the bond - if only because it's such a high dollar amount.

But given Trump's history with the NY courts, perhaps - and possibly even likely - Trump's appeal will fail.

Stay tuned - interesting developments await.

I'm inclined to believe this, not, per se, because his current lawyers say so - Trump has been able to find lawyers willing to lie for him or willing/too stupid to be duped into his whatever he's claiming. Whereas numerous pundits have been skeptical that Trump could raise roughly 1/2 billion dollars to post bond.

It'll be interesting to see how Trump's appeal plays out. If Trump were a random complainant without history in the courts - I rather suspect that he'd get some relief with regard to the bond - if only because it's such a high dollar amount.

But given Trump's history with the NY courts, perhaps - and possibly even likely - Trump's appeal will fail.

Stay tuned - interesting developments await.
can't he just plunder donations from his MAGA base?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.