Donald Trump

Well, you need to take the voting age population, and then subtract out those that won't vote at all, and you'll get to a total far less than 50% of Americans.

But what do YOU believe his supporters' genuine grievances are? And I'm not talking about the grievances of conservatives -- I'm talking about those who are so upset they'd not only happily hand the reins over to a fat old hyper-narcissistic morally-degenerate grifting con man dumbfuck former Democrat who attempted to overthrow the results of a free and fair election, but give him money, put signs in their yards, wear red hats, put flags on their trucks, lose friends and family members or even their jobs in support of him?

:) Me? I don't know and I don't care very much. But you do accept they must have some?

Edit: Actually, what you say makes it worse. I don't know the turnout but say it's 50%, the fact that 75% of the electorate either vote for Trump or can't be arsed to vote against him doesn't paint much of a rosy picture for the Democrats and how they are perceived.

Last edited:
Byrd changed his mind because he was wrong.

Has Vance actually changed his mind that Trump is America's Hitler or just changed his mind to think that's now a good thing.

Unless you think Trump or Vance are eventually likely to get this sort of "eulogy":

When Byrd died at age 92 on June 28, 2010, the NAACP released a statement saying that over the course of his life he “became a champion for civil rights and liberties” and “came to consistently support the NAACP civil rights agenda.”
But you can’t trust the stance of a “lefty” organisation like the NAACP!

To be fair, both the Democratic and Republican ranking members of the House Oversight and Accountability Committee sent a letter yesterday demanding that she resign.

And, as much as I don’t like political witch hunts, absolutely everything about the assassination attempt was a shitshow, from allowing the shooter up on the roof to the agents allowing Trump to stop them from carrying him off the stage (and letting him stick his head out and raise his fist to the crowd), and everything in between, so a change in leadership was probably needed just to claw back some public confidence that it would never happen again (not that an assassination attempt would never happen again, that any attempt would ever be handled like this again).
Many years ago I got to know someone who had worked on the Secret Service Presidential protection team.

He told me (and it may still be the case) that there are effectively two groups within the detail. One obviously provides (or doesn't provide in Trump's case) the actual close protection. The other group is scouting and assessing future locations, and that's generally the one that the more experienced agents are part of. That work increased after Kennedy was shot.

I suspect the president in office would also get better, more experienced protection than the previous ones, even though Trump was the candidate. That might be particularly so if the head of the service wasn't that enamoured with one of the persons they were supposed to protect. It's quite possible that the team on the ground in Butler were not the cream of the crop therefore.

:) Me? I don't know and I don't care very much. But you do accept they must have some?
Well, if you don't care very much, why are you asking?

Of course they have grievances.

Do I think most are "genuine" (I'm defining that as do I think they are "problems" that should go to the top of the U.S. agenda to solve)?

Some of them, yes, some no.

But the question of whether there are genuine grievances (there are, and I have discussed them in this and other threads at length) is completely separate from whether supporting Trump and MAGA now, today, makes one a rational, reasonable person.

Edit: Would you say Germans still supporting Hitler in 1940, who perhaps started off supporting him in the early 1930s because of genuine grievances they had, were still reasonable, rational people?

:) I would say it is less likely that the German population were reasonable and rational up to the 1930s, became unreasonable and irrational for a decade and then became reasonable and rational again in 1945 than that they were always reasonable and rational people who accepted what was going on, to the extent they knew about it, because, at the beginning, the political alternative didn't address their grievances and, at the end, because they were in a state of war and all populations rally in wartime?

Anyway, I am no psychologist. I just feel that there must be more going on in the US than unreasonable, irrational, stupid and confused people voting for Trump. More than that I don't care, really.

Many years ago I got to know someone who had worked on the Secret Service Presidential protection team.

He told me (and it may still be the case) that there are effectively two groups within the detail. One obviously provides (or doesn't provide in Trump's case) the actual close protection. The other group is scouting and assessing future locations, and that's generally the one that the more experienced agents are part of. That work increased after Kennedy was shot.

I suspect the president in office would also get better, more experienced protection than the previous ones, even though Trump was the candidate. That might be particularly so if the head of the service wasn't that enamoured with one of the persons they were supposed to protect. It's quite possible that the team on the ground in Butler were not the cream of the crop therefore.
I don’t enough about the inner workings of the Secret Service today, or the personnelon the ground at the rally, to comment on the over dynamics of the protection details or the quality of the security personnel depending on the status of the protected person or the relative fondness that the head of the Secret Service has for the protected person. Nor will I speculate on the current conspiracies making the rounds related to the intent of the security detail on the day, though, I will say I personally have a hard time believing the Secret Service or Law Enforcement “let it happen” intentionally, for many reasons.

But what I (and everyone else that has some understanding of the best practices of personal protection and political actor security) can comment on is the utter failure of nearly every element of protection during that event.

I believe the simplest explanation is likely the most accurate one: incompetence and complacency.

And that is deserving of serious scrutiny and swift course correction.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.