Dortmund away travel advice please

fallowfield said:
if it helps - have checked bahn.de train site for the Tues 4th Dec re Dortmund back to Dusseldorf

Train at 23.12 is fine - takes 53 mins -

but if you can't make this then next is at 23.53 and takes 90 mins, so 1.30am before back and having beer again (too long/too later for me)

then next one 01.52 and from what posters earlier in thread have said you have to pay once it's gone past midnight, your match ticket no longer valid for free travel

I'd prefer to stay in Dusseldorf as I did for Schalke but the train home was a ballache.
That 23.12 would be fine - back by midnight. Just not sure if we can make it. I assume the kick off is 8.45 local time - so finishing about 10.35 - is that right?

Any of our German posters comment if we'd make it back to the station for the 23.12 train?

I'm going off my stay in Dorf and the Schalke game.
As Rhur says, what's going on in Dusseldorf when you arrive back at 1am that's not going on in Dortmund?
What's going on in Manchester at 1am on a Tuesday night?

It'll take half an hour to applaud the team off the field and make your way out of the stadium. You don't know what the segregation will be like outside the stadium. At Schalke it took ages to walk around to where the buses were parked and by the time we got there they were full. So I don't see any chance at all of making it for the 23.12 train

I was on the Alstadt in Duss two weeks ago on a Thursday night. Bars were still busy at 3.00am in the morning.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
Can still be done for about £100 for anyone interested.

£60 easyjet to Amsterdam then train about £40 to dortmund (2 hrs 50 mins) one change. Hotels from £20 pp in Dortmund.

about 15 of us booked this route.
early morning flight to the dam monday, staying in the dam first night, then train on morning of match to dortmund, returning to the dam day after for evening flight home.
Flights cost £78

as someone said earlier, Spikes trip for hard to get to places is second to none but for trips to spain, germany etc it is much cheaper to sort yourself out and stay an extra night or two for no extra money.

Im staying in Dortmund, seems most sensible way to do it, rather than messing around at close midnight getting busses, trains, etc but each to their own...

However, ive just spoke to my office in dortmund earlier to see what they thought, and they think it will be impossible to get to the train station by 11.12pm.... The game wont finish until 10.40pm ish... Likely to take 20 mins to get out of the ground at least, they think the police keep the away fans back a short time and then its 40/50 mins to walk to the station.. with 60 odd thousand people to deal with.... So no chance of getting there much before midnight at that rate

Alternative would be the local trams/trains, but they reckon theres no way you could get to the main station before that 11.12 train departure to Duss.... Best case scenarion is the later one, but no guarentee's on making that either....

Taxi would normally take 10 mins, but in match day traffic it isnt going to happen either... Looks like a no brainer for me and dortmund it is...

If you were goin on lads weekend away, then you probably wouldnt choose dortmund, but with City playing there, I would think Dortmund will be lively the Tuesday night...

Good luck to those getting trains elsewhere though!!

Ruhr said:
Dortmund fan pubs are half way between stadium and station anyway

Ruhr, does what ive been told above sound right to you?? Im just going off what ive been told from a lad in our local office there!!

people are considering getting trains away from Dortmund and would appreciate info on whether its feasible/easy/worth it...!!

Thanks in advance....

I've booked my accomodation in Dusseldorf and based that decision on how things went when we played Schalke. I thought that went quite smoothly to be honest but we were helped by making it onto one of the buses back to Gelsenkirchen station. From what I can remember we were back in Dussledorf for about 1.00AM and headed straight for the Altstadt where it was still bouncing for a few hours after

I must admit though that even that 11.53 train back from Dortmund looks tricky but even if we miss that one we could always find a bar somewhere to pass the time until the next train and bite the bullet with the train fare.

M18CTID said:
I've booked my accomodation in Dusseldorf and based that decision on how things went when we played Schalke. I thought that went quite smoothly to be honest but we were helped by making it onto one of the buses back to Gelsenkirchen station. From what I can remember we were back in Dussledorf for about 1.00AM and headed straight for the Altstadt where it was still bouncing for a few hours after

I must admit though that even that 11.53 train back from Dortmund looks tricky but even if we miss that one we could always find a bar somewhere to pass the time until the next train and bite the bullet with the train fare.

For people considering this, if you miss the 11.53 train, which is only an hour or so after the final whistle, the next train is at 1.52am and will get you back to Duss at 2.45am... Think you will have to pay around Euro 17 for this aswell, as your match ticket wont cover it....

M24-CRC said:
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
Can still be done for about £100 for anyone interested.

£60 easyjet to Amsterdam then train about £40 to dortmund (2 hrs 50 mins) one change. Hotels from £20 pp in Dortmund.

about 15 of us booked this route.
early morning flight to the dam monday, staying in the dam first night, then train on morning of match to dortmund, returning to the dam day after for evening flight home.
Flights cost £78

as someone said earlier, Spikes trip for hard to get to places is second to none but for trips to spain, germany etc it is much cheaper to sort yourself out and stay an extra night or two for no extra money.

my mate has just booked 12 of us on this route, doing 2 nights in dortmund though , £88 each ,its now £116 ,train i think will be abot 40euro digs 50euro
so that will be abou £160 ,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.