Dortmund (H) - CL QF | Post-Match Thread

You’d have been a bit worried if we’d won 5-0?

Yes, because such a result would mean that we peaked early April and might go off the boil in the final weeks of the season. Plus the expectations would be through the roof which wouldn't help the team one bit. 5:0 and anything less than the quadruple would be a failure. The pressure on the team will be immense.

I'd be worried if everything was going smoothly. Going successfully through difficulties and setbacks is more likely to lead to the trophies than easy-peasy wins. As long as setbacks don't kill us, they may make us stronger.

The ball forwards, straight through us was an issue. I wonder if Pep will look to have Cancelo more inverted in the next game to look to block that route and force Dortmund wide.

Having said that, it might be a case of our players still getting back into things after the international break. That's their first game together for a while and it's not a surprise some struggled considering their roles for their national teams, and how they play, are quite different.

The main thing we need to improve on in the CL, is the mentality of killing games off. In the league, we do play in second gear for a lot of the time. We get a couple of goals and then it's all about control and game management. Play within ourselves, rest legs and job done. But we leave with 3pts and that's fine.

In the CL, it has to be 90 minutes of intense football looking to get more goals and add to the lead. We can't click that switch and go into ourselves, looking to control things and sit on the lead we have. Because just one goal can completely change the complexion of the match. It's halftime and if Dortmund score first next week, we're going out. We need to keep our concentration and foot on the gas for the entire performance.

I'm sure we've realised that, and to get the win so late will be a huge boost. We go into the game with the knowledge we have to score to give ourselves a bit more comfort and that's a good thing for me. We don't need to worry about them scoring, we should just assume they will and play from the start as if we need a goal. Pep's spot on - go there to win. The more we score the harder their job. Get a goal early and they're then 2 goals away from extra time and we'll have plenty more chances.

We bossed the game but didn't create enough chances and Foden could have done a little better with the opportunities that came his way. He did well with the goal though.

I wish now we had started Jesus and Sterling
I have to disagree. I think we made 5 high-quality chances and only scored 2 goals.

1 - Our first goal
2 - 65th minute, KDB cut back to Foden who should have scored (but shot straight at the keeper)
3 - 77th minute, KDB plays Foden in on the counter who probably should have done better
4 - 80th minute, Foden dribbles into box and shoots wide, should have scored
5 - Our second goal

On another day we'd have got 3 or 4 of these.

Where we weren't quite up to our usual standards is the half-chances that we tend to have dozens of each game. The shots from outside the box & chances from set-pieces etc. But I think that was more down to Dortmund playing quite a high backline and deep forwards and really crowding out space in the middle.

My point is, we had enough chances to see the game out, if we'd gone 2-0 up it would have been a very tough task for them to get back into the tie.

I thought we looked more dangerous when Jesus came on, but I'm not sure if that was due to the slight change in tactics, or if Dortmund were knackered from pressing us for the previous 70 minutes.

I'd say we played well but could have done better. We were again not clinical enough when presented with a couple of clear cut chances and Pep said not clever enough - we had some chances where a player took a shot on when there was a better option available - can think of 2 - 1 for Gundo from outside box when Mahrez was running through and another with Foden who took a shot on with both Gundo & Mahrez free.

Saying that it's easier from where I was sat. I'm sure Pep will take something away and have a plan to win the next game.

Was impressed with Bellingham - gonna be some player that kid

Pass of the night from Ilkay, Foden finished it off with aplomb, calmed the old nerves. Not sure about Rodri's contribution tonight, ditto Berni and Cancelo.

The number of times Mahrez made a half-arsed attempt to get back when they overturned the ball was a bit of a worry. Can't slag him off as he created the first goal beautifully.

Hopefully we'll play better in the return leg.
Created the first goal beautifully? If he couldn't make that pass then he shouldn't be playing at the top level.

We are, pal. You'll get called a happy clapper for daring to be happy about the best form in Europe. Someone up thread didn't think we'll win games playing like we did last night while winning games. If you can't take joy from City today, you'll never take any joy from football.
Truly amazing the expectations of some of our fans , luckily my feet are firmly on the ground , i follow Southport F.C. whenever possible and have actually missed going along to Haig Avenue , but its ideal if you want a reality check

Yes, because such a result would mean that we peaked early April and might go off the boil in the final weeks of the season. Plus the expectations would be through the roof which wouldn't help the team one bit. 5:0 and anything less than the quadruple would be a failure. The pressure on the team will be immense.

I'd be worried if everything was going smoothly. Going successfully through difficulties and setbacks is more likely to lead to the trophies than easy-peasy wins. As long as setbacks don't kill us, they may make us stronger.
I kind of see where your coming from Alex. We’re not going to be at our blistering best all the way through, we’ve had a dip in our performance and still come through with a very important win. This hopefully will be a little reminder (if we get through ) to be a bit more sharper and less nervous. We looked like a bit tentative yesterday and luckily we come out it relatively unscathed.
I’m really chuffed with the result despite their away goal. Dortmond are no mugs and played to their maximum. Foden and KDB were superb. I’m confident we will see it out next week, need to strike early though and get the away goal

I believe we were very sluggish, a number of players were off the pace this could have been because of the internationals, but a win is a win. What encouraged me was that we can play much better, so I believe we will better away in Dortmund, the pressure will be on them so I am confident we can get past them, and progress to the next round.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.