Dr Philip Batty

Marvin said:
Project said:
80s Shorts said:

Preparation, post training/match recovery, sleep, nutrition, conditioning, boot selection + insoles, grass length, it goes on. And then the balance of all of this is often different for each individual player.

Not saying we don't do the upmost we can in each of these areas to minimise injury by the way, just that it's a complicated business.
Whose responsibility is that? The Club Doctor?

These are important matters, but it maybe these are already been looked after by someone else?
The doctor will have a say in all these but most importantly he's responsible for saying whether players are fit or not and what training injured players should be doing. We already know that Mancini was not too sympathetic to Bellamy, who needed a lighter training regime to accommodate problems with his knees.

My understanding is that Batty had a number of disagreements with Mancini over the management of injured players, some of who Mancini wanted to rush back against his advice, and won. Hence our far superior injury record that season. Also may have been some disagreements about training generally.

Compare and contrast with this season when Aguero and Kompany, as well as Richards, Rodwell and Jovetic, have all come back from injury and the injury has recurred.

I'm no cynic said:
Esteban de la Sexface said:
Mother Theresa, Jesus and Buddha could be on our medical staff and it wouldn't prevent injuries. When guys are putting their bodies on the line 50-60 times a season then there will be injuries. Fuck all you can do about it.

Liverpool have less injuries because they have played 75% the amount of games we have played. 7 Days recovery between competitive matches makes a huge difference.
When injuries happen because of tackles, I can accept it as part of the game. When players pull up with hamstring or calf problems and when it happens in numbers, then questions need to be asked. Also, many of our injuries have occurred in training and this would indicate over-intensive methods being used. Perhaps this is something that radically needs changing, and when a CB is tackled and injured by another CB in training, something which rarely happens in a real game, then questions already asked in this thread need revisiting.

Kompany and Richards clashed in a set piece drill, I think. I'd rather they trained with intensity.

If all the injuries were of a certain type, for example, only all hamstring injuries, then you could say there was an imbalance in intensity or methods. I remember a John Gregory Villa team who had a ridiculous amount of hamstring injuries, also, Souness had a poor record on hamstrings with his teams.

I genuinely think ours is just wear and tear. We've had a nucleus of a team that has been playing 50+ matches for 3 seasons. It is bound to take its toll.

6 soft tissue injuries to Aguero and Kompany combined this season says there is somthing wrong with our medical sports science. Martinez is bang on when he says you should only get one or two a season.

MaxCityBlue said:
Just work a rota system. One day on, one day off. How much more can there be to it? If that doesn't work just send out a couple of spies over to the Liverpool training ground because whatever they're doing is working a fucking treat for their boys.

It's called the ' 15 games less, no Champions League diet '. Personally I recon we steer well clear of it.

MaxCityBlue said:
Just work a rota system. One day on, one day off. How much more can there be to it? If that doesn't work just send out a couple of spies over to the Liverpool training ground because whatever they're doing is working a fucking treat for their boys.

Send the spies on a Friday as people put their wheelie bins out that day. Once the bins have been emptied you can climb on top of the bins and look over the wall. As I've seen loads of local kids (scousers) do that just that.

I often wonder if some coaches who come from hotter climates consider the weather factor in England especially Manchester. The colder climate must not help with fully warming the muscles mass.

BlueAnorak said:
6 soft tissue injuries to Aguero and Kompany combined this season says there is somthing wrong with our medical sports science. Martinez is bang on when he says you should only get one or two a season.
I know the previous medical department were very big on soft tissue therapists. I don't know if the new regime got rid of this system.

Just wait till next season when Liverpool have to play a proper season of football.

Say goodbye to your seven days rest each week!

Anyways, Batty was huge for us in our title winning season, he was the one who kept Micah fit for most if the season.

Also look at the difference I'm Aguero's injuries in recent seasons, ever since Batty left he's been plagued with muscle injuries.

Can someone tell me why we sacked him?

RandomJ said:
Unless he was the second coming of Jesus the doctor makes next to no difference. It's all about training methods/intensity. Obviously Pelle has them working harder in training which results in our players breaking down.
There are many factors. Training methods/intensity, as you say...

but also cryotherapy and hydrotherapy, rest and recovery post-game and post-training, replenishment food/drink post-game and post-training, sleep, quality of sleep, bed being too soft, slouching when seated, seat in wrong position when driving (if the seat is putting your legs in the wrong position without you realising, the repetitive movements can cause problems), being too sedentary away from playing/training, massage, quality of massage, hydration (if your muscles aren't hydrated enough they will not absorb protein sufficiently and repair and growth post-game/post-training can be hindered or even damaging), diet too.

Also the quality and firmness of the pitches we have could be an issue.

Esteban de la Sexface said:
Mother Theresa, Jesus and Buddha could be on our medical staff and it wouldn't prevent injuries. When guys are putting their bodies on the line 50-60 times a season then there will be injuries. Fuck all you can do about it.

Liverpool have less injuries because they have played 75% the amount of games we have played. 7 Days recovery between competitive matches makes a huge difference.
From 2004 onwards Iniesta has played 46 49 56 49 43 42 50 46 49 48 games each season.
From 2005 onwards Xavi has played 54 54 54 53 50 51 48 games each season.
From 2008 onwards Messi has played 53 55 60 50 games each season.
In 2009 when Barça won a treble Eto'o played 52 games then 48 the next season at Inter and 52 the season Inter won a treble.

Plus Liverpool haven't really has fewer injuries than us:
manchester-city.jpg

liverpool.jpg

I don't know where that myth has come from that they've had fewer injures than us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.