Dropping out of the top 4 - potential repercussions?

kunaguero10

First of all I have read the sticky at the top but I don't see a thread that would incorporate this topic. Apologies if I have missed it.

It seems to me it is because a very possible scenario that we might finish outside the top 4. Arsenal and Liverpool look to be finishing strongly, and United will scrape through (too much quality to miss out) IMO.

We look to be heading into freefall, the players look to have given up on Pellegrini (it's all been said in other threads), but just how damaging would this be to the club's long-term strategy? I'm looking for some reassurance not that we will still qualify, but that it wouldn't be *that* bad if we didn't!

Because when you consider the FFP requirements and forecasted trajectories of the club's revenues etc, this would throw a huge spanner in the works and would surely set us back a few years?

I would expect it to lead to a drop in the calibre of our transfer targets, and as they are not overly impressive to begin with this is a cause for concern.

Again, this isn't a knee-jerk or a repetition of other issues that have been done to death. This is a real situation that I feel is worth discussing incase the unimaginable happens.

I think it's probably knee jerk and if we'd won today this topic wouldn't exist, which to be fair is sort of the definition of knee jerk, but you're right that there's no discussion on it elsewhere and it's worth talking about even if it's hypothetical and the chances are somewhat slim.

It's worth pointing out that we're closer to the title than we are to fifth and many of them below us have to play each other yet

Damocles said:
I think it's probably knee jerk and if we'd won today this topic wouldn't exist, which to be fair is sort of the definition of knee jerk, but you're right that there's no discussion on it elsewhere and it's worth talking about even if it's hypothetical and the chances are somewhat slim.

It's worth pointing out that we're closer to the title than we are to fifth and many of them below us have to play each other yet
If Chelsea, Liverpool and the rags win their games in hand we would be four points from fifth and eleven from top spot.

An excellent point.
We ARE in free fall as players clearly don't give a shit and the manager hasn't got a clue how to motivate them.
if we don't qualify for Europe (and that means 8th or lower as Europa qualification still brings with it an FFP audit) then we probably could spend what we wanted in the summer. But subsequent requalification the following season would bring the FFP hammer down on us again. So that is probably not an option.
Qualify or bust I think. So that means sacking Pellers - the sooner the better.

At the risk of offending you pessimistic guys.

Man Utd are crap facing in the next six games arguably the toughest run of any team this season. Check it out.

You are second a point ahead of Arsenal and tomorrow see Man Utd and Spurs taking points one way or another off each other

You will beat Man Utd at OT

Chelsea are not doing that well

Back end of the season only two teams seem in form, Liverpool and Arsenal.

They'll likely qualify in top 4 along with those nailed on i.e. you lot and Chelsea

The idea you won't finish top 4 is ridiculous. You have a brilliant squad.

Jesus...

Damocles said:

You're right - didn't think that through did I!

I'm not sure how the coefficients for the CL work and what a season out of the competition would mean, but personally that is insignificant compared to the potential effects on our revenue for that season. I'd hate to be set back 2-3 years in terms of our standard of player recruitment and subsequent title aspirations because of a few weeks of shit performances.

I don't *think* we will finish outside of the top 4 - in fact I only really started thinking about finishing outside the top 2 once I realised how close Arsenal were prior this weekend, but the others are scarily close to us. United win their game in hand and beat us and they effectively go above us.

Dropping out of the title race early is one thing, but letting that destabilise your whole season and threaten your chances of top 4 is not on. We need a couple of back to back wins soon to provide a bit of momentum.

Gladstonian Liberal said:
At the risk of offending you pessimistic guys.

Man Utd are crap facing in the next six games arguably the toughest run of any team this season. Check it out.

You are second a point ahead of Arsenal and tomorrow see Man Utd and Spurs taking points one way or another off each other

You will beat Man Utd at OT

Chelsea are not doing that well

Back end of the season only two teams seem in form, Liverpool and Arsenal.

They'll likely qualify in top 4 along with those nailed on i.e. you lot and Chelsea

The idea you won't finish top 4 is ridiculous. You have a brilliant squad.

Jesus...

Yeah we do have a brilliant squad, but having a brilliant squad means nothing if you don't work as a team.

Doesn't even bear thinking about. Would set the club back 5 years. We'd probably lose Sergio and Silva, we wouldn't be able to get the manager we want to replace this deadleg and we certainly wouldn't be able to get the players we need

chaddblue said:
Doesn't even bear thinking about. Would set the club back 5 years. We'd probably lose Sergio and Silva, we wouldn't be able to get the manager we want to replace this deadleg and we certainly wouldn't be able to get the players we need

One season out of the top four isn't going to kill the club, don't be daft.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.