Dry January...

You are doing well. I suppose you are helped by the driving you do though not by the company you keep!
I’ve never drunk and driven which is (ironically) a function of what I’ve done for a living over that time and that certainly helps. The problem is that I live opposite a Tesco with a 24 hour licence which means I’m not prevented from having a drink whenever I get home, whatever time that is. After a long, stressful day I sometimes need a drink to wind down, which I never did until recently, so in that sense my drinking has got worse this year (plus all the personal stuff I had to deal with early last year hasn’t helped). That said, I go out far less than I used to, as we discussed when we met up.

The other issue is that (as usual) I’ve ballooned in December and stopping drinking is the single most effective way of reversing that.

As to the company I keep, I’m taking the Fifth!

I’ve been dry the whole of December :-)

Will continue through to August ..

Always try and stick to weekends only unless a European away trip gets in the way , always believed in moderation for everything, need to cut down on shit food rather than booze .

There are limits!

I’m on day three mate. Decided to knock it on the head early.

I recently had a liver function test back from the doctors and I was (pleasantly) staggered at the results, which I was dreading tbh. I think my conscious days off the booze that I subject myself to every week have probably helped, but as I approach 50 I know I can’t keep hammering it like I have done for the last 30 or so years.

The problem is that I fucking love the stuff! :-/

My mum has been a big drinker for 35 years and her recent Liver Function Test was ok too. I’m talking two thirds a bottle whisky a night levels!

I think it can function ok but alcohol does other things to the body too. Her overall health is not good. I’m like you though, I like drinking. It’s something I enjoy.

I work with a lot of older people (80’s plus) and those latter years fill me with dread. They just look so shit. Ill health everywhere, hip replacements, knee replacements, loneliness and then worse still for some, £40k a year being spunked on a care home. I went to see a client in one just before Xmas and it was horrendous.

Half of me says fuck it, id rather go early and do what I want before then. The other half says I have a young family and need to stay alive as long as possible.

£40K a year?

Cheapskate.

We were paying £1K a week for my mother in law three years ago!

And a hip replacement when I was 60 got me back on the golf course...

Decorating. Having a break. Glass of Proper Job IPA Ale in hand.

I tried. Didn't last long. ;-)

My mum has been a big drinker for 35 years and her recent Liver Function Test was ok too. I’m talking two thirds a bottle whisky a night levels!

I think it can function ok but alcohol does other things to the body too. Her overall health is not good. I’m like you though, I like drinking. It’s something I enjoy.

I work with a lot of older people (80’s plus) and those latter years fill me with dread. They just look so shit. Ill health everywhere, hip replacements, knee replacements, loneliness and then worse still for some, £40k a year being spunked on a care home. I went to see a client in one just before Xmas and it was horrendous.

Half of me says fuck it, id rather go early and do what I want before then. The other half says I have a young family and need to stay alive as long as possible.
Totally with you on the 80’s bit, but I would mind seeing 75 or so!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.