Dzeko, Tevez and the system

Bigga said:
Shaelumstash said:
You don't think Tevez has been playing as a central attacking player for City for most of the season? Well it's an alternative view which I haven't heard before but football is about opinions I suppose.

To be fair, Tévez isn't a central striker and never has been. I'm not sure why people assume he is as he doesn't have the style of play that's ever moulded that way.

What he does do, is drift anywhere in the area of our half centre circle to the entire oppo's box.

A 'central striker' is entirely more disciplined than that.

In a way, I think you just nailed it.

No, he hasn't been a central striker, I don't think there is a fair, established term to describe what he's been playing. That is partly the problem, as the whole team has had to adjust to him, which worked at times for sure, but cannot work in the long run.

Not if City is to take on the Premiership, even Europa League now (let alone CL), etc. The team needs a boost for that, and now that the ingredients are there (frankly, I think that ON PAPER this squad should be able to take anyone in the world on on equal terms or just near enough) there are some changes that need to take place. Tevez's ego is the biggest barrier in that respect, the other only take a bit of time and gelling together.

It is not the system. There is no strict formation here,especially when you concede stupid goals like in last couple of games. The main problem here is that the team is limited on the wings and all game depends on playing through the middle, with no specific system. Just waiting for Tevez or Yaya get something individually or waiting for Silva get his passes. Johnson is talented and skillful, but lacks team play and good cross at the good time, while Milner could provide that, but lacks pace and skill. Micah, Zabaleta are to limited in attacking position and Boateng and Kolarov are capable of that but do not show it. Bale, Lennon, Malouda, Nani, Nasri, Arshavin, Walcott and players similar is what City need. That part was missing against Villa and will continue to miss as long as they are faced with:
a)better teams
b) strong defense,rough and hard tackles, man to man marking
c) smaller pitch
d) a goal deficit, faced with 10-man defence
If Mancini wants to have the maximum of Dzeko he should give some thoughts on some other dimensions of play. Long ball to Dzeko, he sets it to Tevez who keeps it a bit then giving it to the wing and cross to Dzeko again. This, and many similar things to do, are they simple as they look?

I think the situation has just been like how it was whenever we got new players into our system, such as the start of the season. 1 or 2 losses and some of us would start to complain about a system, formation, tactics, the new boy etc etc.

Give it some time, Mancini is trying to integrate a new system which is meant to cover the gap we had in the last few matches. Didn't awhile back we were complaining that we hadn't had enough height or what - don't forget the loss at Everton.

I ask that City fans be patient and stop FFS whining when we only lost 1 match on the back of some really good form. Our practical aim is to secure CL spot and we cannot go unbeaten, loss is inevitable, we don't have a devil's emblem in our club crest.

Lets give the players time to understand and get used to the new system, I believe soon, we would be able to see another Fulham-esque performance.

Cheers.

Wow,been away from bluemoon for a while,but some things never change.Two games in and questions raised about Dzeko already?ridiculous.

SkyBlueCitizen said:
I think the situation has just been like how it was whenever we got new players into our system, such as the start of the season. 1 or 2 losses and some of us would start to complain about a system, formation, tactics, the new boy etc etc.

Give it some time, Mancini is trying to integrate a new system which is meant to cover the gap we had in the last few matches. Didn't awhile back we were complaining that we hadn't had enough height or what - don't forget the loss at Everton.

I ask that City fans be patient and stop FFS whining when we only lost 1 match on the back of some really good form. Our practical aim is to secure CL spot and we cannot go unbeaten, loss is inevitable, we don't have a devil's emblem in our club crest.

Lets give the players time to understand and get used to the new system, I believe soon, we would be able to see another Fulham-esque performance.

Cheers.

Could be, but I don't think the idea of destroying a team, and then let a Championship side score four in two matches, the sides fighting for survival scoring three at home, or losing to a panicky Villa...

A relatively flexible yet a strong system needs to be put in place, and there needs to be a lot more consistency as a result. The only way to do that is so wrestle down the egos, build up a passing and crossing game, work on more dimensions to the attacking style and do whatever is needed to strengthen the defense (I am admittedly puzzled as to what the heck is going on in there...).

wanderer72 said:
SkyBlueCitizen said:

Cheers.

Could be, but I don't think the idea of destroying a team, and then let a Championship side score four in two matches, the sides fighting for survival scoring three at home, or losing to a panicky Villa...

A relatively flexible yet a strong system needs to be put in place, and there needs to be a lot more consistency as a result. The only way to do that is so wrestle down the egos, build up a passing and crossing game, work on more dimensions to the attacking style and do whatever is needed to strengthen the defense (I am admittedly puzzled as to what the heck is going on in there...).

"Rome wasn't built in a day". It takes time to get to the stage you're suggesting.
We're still evolving at a crazy pace - think back where we were 4 years ago.
Consistency will come naturally with time - as long both club and fans gets behind Mancini.

the--dud said:
wanderer72 said:

"Rome wasn't built in a day". It takes time to get to the stage you're suggesting.
We're still evolving at a crazy pace - think back where we were 4 years ago.
Consistency will come naturally with time - as long both club and fans gets behind Mancini.

I do understand that it takes time and agree with your Mancini/Rome comments, but this is dragging on despite a good result altogether... Much more discipline is needed, if I was Mancini I would wake them up 2.30 on a Sunday morning and have them play a prison rugby team -- the losing side provides the soap for the afterparty... ;)

[/quote]

Seriously, I have no idea where you are getting all this rubbish from... Has anyone actually ever seen Dzeko before he came to City?

Btw, Tevez is indeed a better individual player than Dzeko, but Dzeko is a much better team player, although comparing the two is already evidence of a short circuit in one's thick skull.[/quote]
seen dzeko many times for wolfsburg in the champs league and on espn in the bundesliga and have to say never ever did i see him played on the left wing....the fella is 6ft 4 he should be played in the the middle and spend most of his time in and around the box do you not agree?.......how you can say tevez isn't a team player when he chases down every ball when he's not in possession and is forever coming back to the half way line to get the ball in order to try and create something for us is fuckin mind boggling....ok he may sometimes shoot in and around the area when a pass may be the better option but you can't blame the lad for having confidence in his own ability to score especially the form he's been in this season can you.

colin's bell helmet said:
seen dzeko many times for wolfsburg in the champs league and on espn in the bundesliga and have to say never ever did i see him played on the left wing....the fella is 6ft 4 he should be played in the the middle and spend most of his time in and around the box do you not agree?.......how you can say tevez isn't a team player when he chases down every ball when he's not in possession and is forever coming back to the half way line to get the ball in order to try and create something for us is fuckin mind boggling....ok he may sometimes shoot in and around the area when a pass may be the better option but you can't blame the lad for having confidence in his own ability to score especially the form he's been in this season can you.

the truth is that there are 2 Tevez.

when we DON'T have possession of the ball Tevez is the best striker in the world. without debate.

when we have possession of the ball Tevez too often become an obstacle to the development of the maneuver.

colin's bell helmet said:
wanderer72 said:
Seriously, I have no idea where you are getting all this rubbish from... Has anyone actually ever seen Dzeko before he came to City?

Btw, Tevez is indeed a better individual player than Dzeko, but Dzeko is a much better team player, although comparing the two is already evidence of a short circuit in one's thick skull.

I agree on Dzeko acting as a winger (both left and right, for about 5-10 minutes or so consistently, so it wasn't by pure chance), wrote about it several times here... I was shocked, now I am bemused...

I put it to either (a) his getting such instructions at the time and not being able to say "No" as he just arrived, or (b) getting the most desperate I have seen him, and I have seen him in quite a few emotionally charged and seriously desperate situations (Bosnia - Portugal WC qualifier play off, for instance) so I deem it less likely...

On your Tevez point, I think that's actually a part of the problem... Is he doing it for the team, or for himself? I am now leaning towards the latter, and I'm quite sad to say so, as I've been trying to convince everyone around me and their grandmother that Dzeko and Tevez would be the best striker duo the Premiership has ever seen, for two years now. Now, after seeing what appears his intentional "oversight" of a new chap on the team who should be his PARTNER (not a bloody competitor, as Tevez appears to believe) I'm getting second thoughts... If he proves me wrong in the end, you won't be happier than me, that much I can tell you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.