Dzeko, Tevez and the system

Bigga said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
Although I think the line about being angry about Dzeko's RSC-esque performance is out of order, I think the OP has naield it with his post. Dzeko has totally imbalanced the team. Not his fault, and I think he'll be a quality player for us, but it isn't working and I doubt it's worth persisting with as I don't think it will work long term. We didn't get the best out of pretty much any of our attacking players the other day and at times they were bunching and getting in each others way. I think we need to use Dzeko or Tevez or play a formation where they can both play in their more natural roles

I think you will see one of two things in the next 4/ 5 games. Dzeko will play with either Tévez in support(if he wants to be disciplined enough to do the job) or Silva.

Mancini will see that not all three can play. After all, you cannot have two 'central' strikers traversing through the same area of play, nor can you have two play makers traversing through the same area of play. Why? Cos they get in each other's way and often there's empty space where someone should be, but isn't as they're occupying someone's space. So, three into two doesn't go.

I think you may see Tévez 'rested' more and more as we seek balance and control within the formation. The odds are that the main attack rotation will come from Silva, Dzeko or Tévez benched at regular intervals, during Prem games.

TBH Bigga mate mancini has always played in all his career two central strikers plus a trequartista .
so i think he will go on his way and if a striker will show dont be able to play with a pair will be jettisoned.

Mancio said:
Bigga said:
I think you will see one of two things in the next 4/ 5 games. Dzeko will play with either Tévez in support(if he wants to be disciplined enough to do the job) or Silva.

Mancini will see that not all three can play. After all, you cannot have two 'central' strikers traversing through the same area of play, nor can you have two play makers traversing through the same area of play. Why? Cos they get in each other's way and often there's empty space where someone should be, but isn't as they're occupying someone's space. So, three into two doesn't go.

I think you may see Tévez 'rested' more and more as we seek balance and control within the formation. The odds are that the main attack rotation will come from Silva, Dzeko or Tévez benched at regular intervals, during Prem games.

TBH Bigga mate mancini has always played in all his career two central strikers plus a trequartista .
so i think he will go on his way and if a striker will show dont be able to play with a pair will be jettisoned.

I hope Mancini goes for this option, maybe he went to Italy just to find a good naturally deceased horse's head to slip into Tevez's bed? ;)

No live animals were injured during this joke.

wanderer72 said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
Although I think the line about being angry about Dzeko's RSC-esque performance is out of order, I think the OP has naield it with his post. Dzeko has totally imbalanced the team. Not his fault, and I think he'll be a quality player for us, but it isn't working and I doubt it's worth persisting with as I don't think it will work long term. We didn't get the best out of pretty much any of our attacking players the other day and at times they were bunching and getting in each others way. I think we need to use Dzeko or Tevez or play a formation where they can both play in their more natural roles

Dzeko didn't play in either of the Leicester matches in which this Championship (!!!) side scored four (4) goals altogether. Unless you can prove that his applauding from the lower terrace upset the team, I don't see a reason to buy what you're selling (in bold).

The fault is not with Dzeko (personally, or "as a kind of player"), the fault is with those who cannot adopt to the change, and the change was being slowly introduced months before Dzeko was even signed!

The reason to buy what I'm saying is that in Dzeko's two performances the team has looked totally imbalanced. The first half against wolves we were all over the shop. It didn't look right to me on Saturday either, though we were unlucky.

I'm not having a go at Dzeko here - I think he'll be brilliant for us, but we need to work a system where we get the most out of all of our players. On saturday we didn't get the most out of almost all our attacking players.

The Fat el Hombre said:
wanderer72 said:
Dzeko didn't play in either of the Leicester matches in which this Championship (!!!) side scored four (4) goals altogether. Unless you can prove that his applauding from the lower terrace upset the team, I don't see a reason to buy what you're selling (in bold).

The fault is not with Dzeko (personally, or "as a kind of player"), the fault is with those who cannot adopt to the change, and the change was being slowly introduced months before Dzeko was even signed!

The reason to buy what I'm saying is that in Dzeko's two performances the team has looked totally imbalanced. The first half against wolves we were all over the shop. It didn't look right to me on Saturday either, though we were unlucky.

I'm not having a go at Dzeko here - I think he'll be brilliant for us, but we need to work a system where we get the most out of all of our players. On saturday we didn't get the most out of almost all our attacking players.

I agree Hombre...I said in another thread that I think the way we ended the game against Villa is the way we should be starting games...that is:

.................Back Four..................
.............DJ..........Toure............
AJ..............Tevez.........Silva......
.................Dzeko.....................

For me the way for that to work is for Dzeko to play a disciplined role as an orthodox target man/forward, and for Silva and AJ to play a little wider than they have been playing, thus leaving the space for Carlos to be the playmaker. In theory it should also be easier for Carlos and Silva to switch roles when it suits the play.

Alternatively, if Mancini wants to play his favoured 4312 system, then it'd be Silva in behind Dzeko and Tevez or Dzeko and Balo...however we need MUCH better attacking full backs to play that way...

You guys can talk here all you want, I still believe that if Tevez had scored that goal(amazing how he missed that) at start, Villa would have been forced to attack more and we would have burried them. BUt they scored and parked the bus. And we couldn't break them down, not always better team can score and they defended well. Remember game against Arsenal, they also couldn't score, it is not like Arsenal have shit team, formation and tactics and what else not, it happens in football.

The Fat el Hombre said:
wanderer72 said:

That's not what you said initially... :) I do agree with this, though I think at Villa it was much worse than against the Wolves which was barely OK (apart from defensively, but you can hardly blame either Dzeko or the change of the system for that -- the defensive one didn't really change at all), and you are still forgetting the games where City looked out of balance and where Dzeko wasn't on the pitch (Leicester), and the worst ones before Dzeko
was even in (repeated) negotiations (Everton, Arsenal at home in my view were the worst).

Dzeko is meant to be a part of the solution, not the biggest such either, something else has been the problem.

These are only teething problems which are minor in comparison, although I am probably as frustrated as you are, maybe for a slightly different reason... I didn't expect THIS much resistance to the necessary changes which is making things much worse than they could have been with just a little bit more team-think and discipline. Villa could have been easily beaten, had everyone adopted to the "New City" already.

Jamie Redknapp had said in his column today exactly what I have been saying from the OP. We play 433 with Tevez as the spearhead and it will not be easy to accommodate Dzeko. Hope Wanderer72 doesn't read it, he might explode if anyone else doesn't say we play some daft formation he's seen on Football Manager. Lol <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1349914/Jamie-Redknapps-weekend-watch-Edin-Dzeko-finding-feet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -feet.html</a>

BillyShears said:
The Fat el Hombre said:

I agree Hombre...I said in another thread that I think the way we ended the game against Villa is the way we should be starting games...that is:

.................Back Four..................
.............DJ..........Toure............
AJ..............Tevez.........Silva......
.................Dzeko.....................

For me the way for that to work is for Dzeko to play a disciplined role as an orthodox target man/forward, and for Silva and AJ to play a little wider than they have been playing, thus leaving the space for Carlos to be the playmaker. In theory it should also be easier for Carlos and Silva to switch roles when it suits the play.

Alternatively, if Mancini wants to play his favoured 4312 system, then it'd be Silva in behind Dzeko and Tevez or Dzeko and Balo...however we need MUCH better attacking full backs to play that way...

Tevez is not even playmaker material (and hearing that probably continues to piss him off), Silva is a natural born playmaker.

I fully agree with the bold, but the attacking full backs that City has are more than "good enough", to say the least, and some are going to develop into "world class", given a bit of time. Zaba is nearly there, Boateng is a great talent in that respect though a bit young, Kolarov has impressed me at times, and he too is continue to improve. I really don't understand what some of you guys expect, Batman and Robin?

Shaelumstash said:
Jamie Redknapp had said in his column today exactly what I have been saying from the OP. We play 433 with Tevez as the spearhead and it will not be easy to accommodate Dzeko. Hope Wanderer72 doesn't read it, he might explode if anyone else doesn't say we play some daft formation he's seen on Football Manager. Lol <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1349914/Jamie-Redknapps-weekend-watch-Edin-Dzeko-finding-feet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -feet.html</a>

Scary 'Arry is an overpriced bozo as a pundit, so you're in a good company. He's slightly better as a manager. He's the one that said the other day "that he was told by McClaren that Dzeko is a fantastic player", that's just about as much as he really knows about him and how he reaches his super-intelligent conclusions about most things.

Ask people who heard of Mancini before he came to City what he actually likes to operate... Ask people who have seen Dzeko in more than a single game's highlights how he likes to operate.

But noooo, 'Arry and the Mail are always right, of course!

EDIT: Actually it was JAMIE, my bad... Even worse then, he should stick to Liverpool and keep praising Torres's hairstyle on Sky.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.