Dzeko

sir peace frog said:
and what exactly is wrong with tap ins ?.

a good striker is in the right place at the right time ie tap ins.

Ruud van Horseface won the rags a few Championships with tap-ins.

I am quite happy with these types of goals.

Kris_Musampa said:
sir peace frog said:
and what exactly is wrong with tap ins ?.

a good striker is in the right place at the right time ie tap ins.

Ruud van Horseface won the rags a few Championships with tap-ins.

I am quite happy with these types of goals.

Agreed, a goal is a fookin goal whether its a 30 yarder or off yer shoulder..

fairyfeet said:
BIG DONKEY said:
fairyfeet said:
He wasn't though Nip. Their best striker was Grafite, and Wolfsburg didn't play with out and out wingers, they had an attacking midfielder just behind the front two (forget his name Man.. sumit). Wolfsburg won the title playing a quick passing game, closing down the opposition when they didn't have the ball. A similar style to ours, but much more direct.

Are you on crack? Ask literally any person who watches Bundesliga regulary or any Wolfsburg fan and they will tell you Grafite isn't anywhere near Dzeko's ability. He had 1 good season, Edin had 3.

The reason he got a similar goal tally to Edin in one season was because he took a shit load of penaltys.

And it's true Wolfsburg never played with wingers, only wingbacks and an attacking creative midfielder behind the front 2, was Misimovic (also Bosnian), one of the most creative playmakers in bundesliga history, he got 20 assists in one season once and broke loads of records.

Reel your neck in pal. I've lived here for 12 years so i've seen a fair bit of the Bundesliga and Wolfsburg. As for Grafite having one good season?? 59 goals in 107 apps compares pretty well with Edins record. I stand by what i say which you confirmed, no wingers and attacking midfielder just behind the front two which was indeed Misimovic - I said Man..sumit as i couldn't remember his name straight off.

You can honestly ask any German or Wolfsburg fan and not one will say Grafite was better.

It's the most absurd thing i've heard on this forum.

I'm also suspicious of the fact you have "lived there for 12 years" and watched "alot of Wolfsburg" yet couldn't name probally their best player after Dzeko and one of the best midfielders in the last 10 years or so in the Bundesliga (Misimovic)

Makes me think you are infact, talking total bollocks. ;)

sbm said:
NipHolmes said:
This has got me thinking, I will look into what goals he scored in games and have a bit of a review about the lad. I rewatched Bosnia v Brazil the otherday and he mugged Brazil with hold up play. They didn't know what hit them.

I will start you off with some statistics. In what follows:
(a) = minutes per goal
(b) = minutes per assist
(c) = minutes per assist or goal
R = right foot L = left foot H = header
Tap-in is as defined by <a class="postlink" href="http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk</a>

2011-12, Premier League

Edin (a) 108 (b) 302 (c) 79 R: 5 L: 4 H: 4 pen: 0 Tap-in: 1
Kun (a) 112 (b) 258 (c) 78 R: 17 L: 2 H: 0 pen: 3 Tap-in: 1
Mario (a) 102 (b) 1329 (c) 95 R: 8 L:1 H: 0 pen: 3 Tap-in: 1
Carlos (a) 150 (b) 200 (c) 85 R: 2 L: 0 H: 1 pen: 0 Tap-in: 0

Career statistics:
Edin (a) 151 (b) 363 (c) 106
Kun (a) 156 (b) 378 (c) 110
Mario (a) 168 (b) 1056 (c) 124
Carlos (a) 186 (b) 376 (c) 125

van Persie (a) 241 (b) 490 (c) 162
Rooney (a) 174 (b) 395 (c) 174
Torres (a) 177 (b) 587 (c) 136

To sum up the careers, for anyone who really cannot abide numbers, Edin dominates all the above in terms both of goals and of assists (and obviously therefore in terms of goals + assists). If penalties were excluded, the results would favour Edin even more.

Above you were discussing Edin at Wolfsburg. From July 2007 to December 2010, in the Bundesliga, he scored 66 goals and had 28 assists (with 95 minutes per goal or assist). In contrast to the suggestion above that Edin scored lots of tap-ins at Wolfsburg, he is credited with 0 (zero) tap-ins by transfermarkt.co.uk. Edin and Grafite (who is now with Al-Ahli Dubai) formed a partnership in the true sense of the term. As far as I know, they always spoke with genuine warmth about each other and it is, in my view, not appropriate to claim that one was much better than the other (which you don't). What struck me as interesting was that, for the 2010-11 season, Grafite had 7 goals and 2 assists in 860 minutes before Edin left and 2 goals and 1 assist in 988 minutes after he left.

Some time ago, I analysed 54 goals that Edin Dzeko scored for Wolfsburg during calendar years 2009 and 2010. He scored 17 (31%) with his Head; 14 with his Left foot; and 23 with his Right foot. Of the 37 goals scored with his feet, 22 (59%) were scored with his first touch (so that, including headed goals, 39 out of 54 were scored with his first touch!). A further 6 were scored with his 2nd touch (i.e., first touch to control). Remarkably few could be described as 'scrappy' goals or involved deflections. As noted above, transfermarkt.co.uk had 0 of his Wolfsburg goals as tap-ins.

** To argue that it would be foolish to change our system to focus it all on Edin is to set up and put down a straw man: no-one is seriously arguing that. Many have made the convincing (self-evident) argument that it is good to have a "plan b". And as the above stats for 2011-12 show, Edin has done remarkably well operating in our "plan a". Any sensible "plan a" should be able to accommodate a striker who can score with both feet and with his head.

** Lest anyone think I am obsessed with statistics, Edin's one-touch-and-pass to Carlos for the latter's goal vs Notts County in the 5th round of the FACup, his fourth goal vs Spurs, his role in the goal against Arsenal... these were things of beauty!

** Lest anyone think that I am obsessed with Edin, my favourite striker is, in fact, Kun. I believe that Edin and Kun (both remarkably ego-light for strikers) could one of the best striking partnerships ever ..... if Roberto was committed to it.

Mofo someone should pay you for this work.

What is being repeated on this topic is that Edin Dzeko isn't a shit player. What is the problem is that he doesn't fit in our style of play, which should not be looked at negatively.

BIG DONKEY said:
fairyfeet said:
BIG DONKEY said:
Are you on crack? Ask literally any person who watches Bundesliga regulary or any Wolfsburg fan and they will tell you Grafite isn't anywhere near Dzeko's ability. He had 1 good season, Edin had 3.

The reason he got a similar goal tally to Edin in one season was because he took a shit load of penaltys.

And it's true Wolfsburg never played with wingers, only wingbacks and an attacking creative midfielder behind the front 2, was Misimovic (also Bosnian), one of the most creative playmakers in bundesliga history, he got 20 assists in one season once and broke loads of records.

Reel your neck in pal. I've lived here for 12 years so i've seen a fair bit of the Bundesliga and Wolfsburg. As for Grafite having one good season?? 59 goals in 107 apps compares pretty well with Edins record. I stand by what i say which you confirmed, no wingers and attacking midfielder just behind the front two which was indeed Misimovic - I said Man..sumit as i couldn't remember his name straight off.

You can honestly ask any German or Wolfsburg fan and not one will say Grafite was better.

It's the most absurd thing i've heard on this forum.

I'm also suspicious of the fact you have "lived there for 12 years" and watched "alot of Wolfsburg" yet couldn't name probally their best player after Dzeko and one of the best midfielders in the last 10 years or so in the Bundesliga (Misimovic)

Makes me think you are infact, talking total bollocks. ;)

You've clearly not been to 'The Cellar'

I and nobody else has knocked tap ins. The point is tap ins and headers are normally from lacy balls whipped in across the box. Dzeko thrives on this and also thrives on a bit of space. The lad is talented no doubt. I just think he plays in the wrong set up. His tally this year was great and I appreciate each of his goals, I just think it'd be more beneficial to have wingers or a Dani Alves type WB to deliver his bread and butter service.

RVP plays for a team that plays possession football and he's more talented than Dzeko with his close skill and control. He'd prosper with us whereas we have to change to get the most out of Dzeko.

I hope its Tevez that makes way to Br honest. But player for player RVP allday everyday

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.