Earliest City crowd song?

Streets broad and narrow I first set my eyes on Sweet Johnny Crossen has he wheeled his wheelbarrow through streets broad and narrow.
Remember that very well from my early matches, Crossan was one of my favourites then, such a silky footballer.

The first swearing chant I heard was the Cantwell one mentioned earlier and "who's the bastard in the black?" aimed at the ref.

When I first started going to Maine Road as a young whippersnapper in the late 50s and early 60s the section of the Kippax adjacent to the scoreboard end used to come out with the dreadful American frat inspired jingle "2, 4, 6, 8 who do we appreciate? C-I-T-Y City!"
And it was heard at Belle Vue Aces speedway; along with a song to the tune of "Lily Marlene" (something like "Underneath the lamplight, by the starting gate, Aces we are with you, whatever be your fate.")

Re. "Who said City couldn't play .." - also the tune to "Oh, my, what a referee", though i've forgotten how that one ended.

Ive just walked past The Palace Theatre in town and they are showing "Jesus Christ, Superstar".
That took my memory back about 50 years and I immediately thought of -
"Georgie Best
Superstar
Walks like a woman
And he wears a bra" !!!
A similar version when I was as at primary school
Georgie best
superstar
Wears frilly knickers
And a playtex bra!!

On top of all England now stand the Sky blues.
Who we will all follow win or lose.
Now we are the kippax and when we all cheer.
It sounds just like music in Joe Mercers ear.
So come and join us we're here to stay.
As long as the Kippax and all of us say.
CITY CITY CITY.
That was back in 67/68 to the Tune of On top of old Smokey.
Remember that well.

I can remember going to a game in the late sixties, on arriving on the kippax someone was handing out a song sheet with a list of City songs on it , anyone else remember that. I can remember one of the songs,
To the tune of Once in Royal David's City

Once in Royal Manchester City
Stood a stand called Kippax Street
Where the fans they sang and chanted
Just to see Colin Bells feet
Summerbee upon the wing
You can hear the City fans sing
City City City act.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.