Early thoughts on City and the Premier League

It's not the striker position that most concerns me its defensive midfield.

Fernandinho is 36 and can't play regularly. Rodri is fine against most teams but when pressed and hurried by the best teams he isn't mobile enough.

Think that will be our weakness.

It's also not fair on Pep and the club getting him to work miracles every season. Should have a striker and the right players in their right spot.

Early predictions are Chelsea will be Champions. Won't know really until Christmas.

Cup competitions are harder to call.

Winning well at home and losing away, a bit like the 94/95 start to the season under Horton.

This is definitely the most open title race that I can remember. I wouldn't be surprised if us, Chelsea, Liverpool or United won the league. I also think it's too early to call whether Spurs will be good enough, but so far they're getting the results.
So much can change between now and May, but I'd argue Chelsea look like favourites. We will be there or there about. If Ronaldo clicks United will definitely contend. Liverpool are the strange one. They haven't really replaced Wijnaldum who played all 38 PL games last season. I'm sure Elliot is a good player, but he won't be 'that' good. But they do have a very strong first XI.

I still think we are the best team. Others have recruited well but it will take time for them to gel properly and for them to understand their managers tactics and vision.

All of our players except maybe Grealish (although I personally think he looks at home already) know what our manager expects. They know their roles inside out, they know what each other will do, the runs they will make, when to press, when to drop off etc.

We may only have one new shiny toy in through the transfer window but having a team that plays like a well oiled machine counts for a lot more than some people realise.

I don’t see it as an open title race, it’ll be the same as it usually is - a City or Chelsea win. They look worryingly solid but it’s very early days.

Utd - slim chance
Lpool - slim and none

Ah
The doom and gloom descending on Bluemoon again.
Have we already forgotten how good this team was last season???
We have retained some v important players and added a sprinkling of attacking flair with Grealish.
Mendy will never pull on our shirt and that’s definite improvement.
As far as I can see we are still set for an excellent season, even without having been made to pay well over the odds for a ready made striker.
The secret of the rags’success over the previous 2 decades was to only make small adjustments to the already successful squad and that’s just what we’ve done.
Not being had over a barrel for Kane Haaland Messi or Ronaldo sits well with me and I’m looking forward to Torres getting a proper shot at becoming a striker. I think the boy has it in him.

Like others, I've been disappointed with the transfer window. Not massively so, but more frustrated that we've let Aguero go and only seemingly identified that only Kane or Ronaldo would improve the team. I don't buy that for one minute. If nothing else, we need a striker who can finish the chances we create when it's 0-0 in the 60th minute against the busparkers. It doesn't need Kane or Ronaldo to do that.

Left back and central midfield will continue to be our achilles heals though in the big games. Zinchenko is a great player for us, but against the top teams he's our weak link and the best teams can exploit that. Sure, he can have great games, but we can improve that position. Fernandinho can't be expected to play most of the season, but will have to play in the big games as we don't have anyone else like him. I wish he was 10 years younger! I do think we needed to bring someone in who can learn the dark arts from the master. I'm not an expert on European football, but there must be someone out there, somewhere.

I guess my main disappointment in the window has been the scouts - not identifying more than 1 forward target - and also the inability to conclude deals. Last summer we were led a dance by Messi and his mates. We also had Koulibaly doing the same and this summer we've been chasing Kane yet not even spoken to Spurs! The club need to identify early on who's available and just get the deal done, or move on.

In the past we've spent some big money on Mendy, Cancelo, Rodri, Torres and Grealish - totalling £280m . There's nothing wrong with these players, apart from the first one. However, none of these players are world class and, sorry to say, they don't look like they will be although I accept Grealish could do in time. Don't get me wrong, I like Rodri and Grealish, but they weren't what we needed and not for £165m. Kane is a far better player than Grealish and has proved himself, yet we were surprised at his valuation. He would score 40 goals a season for us easily and the CL becomes a different proposition with him. It's just bizarre.

Ronaldo is one of the best players of all time and for £16m was a steal and I know his wages are high. Look at his record, that's why they are high. You can make the case that he and Messi are the 2 best players ever and that's why they cost a lot. To go for two strikers and end up with none because they were expensive, despite blasting loads on other players we didn't need was disappointing. Good players ARE expensive. I don't believe any scout who says there's no players around who aren't an upgrade on Jesus, Sterling or Torres.

In terms of the league, I always go with the "wait for 10 games" rule. I think this will be a genuinely tough title to win with Chelsea looking the favourites, apart from us. Liverpool could either win it, or do what they did last year - they feel like a mixed bag team to me. United are similar, but I can see Ronaldo winning them an extra 10 points over what they got last year. The top 4 will be us, Chelsea, Liverpool and United and in all honesty I've no idea who will win. I think whoever is in 4th spot from March onwards will be scrapping with Leicester, West Ham, Spurs and Everton too making the title race and CL spots very, very hard to win early on.

If we are within 6 or so points off the top in the New Year, we will win the league. That's the only prediction I'll make.

In the CL I expect we will be there or there abouts. Real, Barcelona, Juventus are all rebuilding. Bayern will always be tough and Chelsea, Liverpool and United on their day can beat anyone. It's a cup game at the end of the day, but I do think that without a top class striker, we're hamstrung. I do think the winners will come from England again though.

I wouldn't be surprised with 4 trophies, or 0! :)

Whilst a striker would have been great business, throwing whatever was needed at Kane would have been silly.

We have kept a squad that almost won the lot last season and added one of the best players in the league in Grealish. Laporte, Torres and Jesus already look better than last season. A front three of Mahrez, De Bruyne and Foden were brilliant last season yet two of the three are injured and still we have won two consecutive games 5-0.

Whilst Rodri will have his work cut out and Fernandinho is older, of we really need the extra defensive cover both could play or Gundogan could sit deeper....or we could play Grealish deeper with his energy.

The critical point is a forward line containing Jesus, Torres, Foden, Sterling, Bernardo, De Bruyne, Grealish has energy to burn and whoever plays from that list will work themselves into the ground ensuring we are not overrun in the middle anyway. Mahrez is still a little bit of a weak link off the ball for me, but on it has continued in the form he ended last season with.

A squad that has tasted success and the hardeat of defeats in that CL final (plus the Euro final for some) will want to right those wrongs and under Pep can do just that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.