Ederson Moraes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only do people want us to sign the best players that we can, they want us to sign them for next to nowt as well. We're an ambitious club with plenty of money and we know where we want to get to and we're in a hurry to get there. We'll pay what needs to be paid for the players we think will get us there in the shortest time possible. That's all there is to it really.

I get that, I'm just saying you're destroying the record for a goalie who was not known as a super prospect, doesn't have loads of top-level experience for a 23 year old and hasn't been capped by a country with a weakness at his position. Let's look at keeper signings from the last few years:

Ter-Stegen to Barcelona: Germany international, big-name prospect, 127 apps for Gladbach, 22 years old and he went for 12 million euro in 2014.
Oblak to Atletico: Slovenia international, big-name prospect but less experience than Ederson (although both played for Benfica), 21 years old and went for 16 million in 2014.
Lloris to Spurs: France #1, well-known world-class keeper, 25 years old when signing, 10 million euro in 2012.

The money being touted for Ederson isn't in the same realm as similar and more accomplished keepers, even if the market has changed. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be very good, but my main problem is Txiki's transfers almost always seem like an overpay and then we have a hard time shifting players even for a hugely reduced price.
How much was the losing bid for Ederson?

Ederson had a better save success rate (81.2%) than any other goalkeeper in Liga NOS this season (10+ appearances). Bravo. [@WhoScored]

Interesting, here's a stat that you're not going to believe. After his first 10 PL games Claudio Bravo had a save success rate of 74%.

To put that in some context, Hugo Lloris had the best save success rate in the PL over the whole season with 76.2%.

I appreciate there's more luck than skill in this, and it's obviously not what we're buying him for.

But the whole cannon of a left boot thing is great fun. Along with the insane tattoos, maniacally diving at strikers feet to get the ball or sprinting out of his box to head it clear - it makes him a real character. The kind of player that grabs attention and as long as he's got the talent to back it up, it's the kind of thing that makes players get noticed by fans, journalists other players. I think he'll be a fan favourite if he learns English.

I mean just look how the ball explodes off his foot there! It's insane! Can't wait to see that in person.

Last edited:
Let's look at keeper signings from the last few years:

Ter-Stegen to Barcelona: Germany international, big-name prospect, 127 apps for Gladbach, 22 years old and he went for 12 million euro in 2014.
Oblak to Atletico: Slovenia international, big-name prospect but less experience than Ederson (although both played for Benfica), 21 years old and went for 16 million in 2014.
Lloris to Spurs: France #1, well-known world-class keeper, 25 years old when signing, 10 million euro in 2012.

It's 2017 and football's changed now. The Pogba deal and all the extra money in the game has seen to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.