Edin Dzeko (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Edin Dzeko - don't let him think

mcfc-mark said:
There are games when he tries to score goals and there are games where he tries to put the ball in the back of the net. And it shows.

spot on. he needs to stay in dangerous positions and put his thinking into runs and general positional play. In our team, he should leave the midfield to fizzing them into his feet and let his natural born instinctive talent turn crosses into goals.

he's a predator and the club should work - continue to work - on making sure he stays an out and out striker

shemnel said:
I like Edin Dzeko, i'll get it out there early, i think he's a decent striker but that, for me, is exactly what he is - a striker. Not a winger, not a forward and not much of a midfielder. The lad is a striker.

Edin's banged in 20 for the club this season (60 in 3 yrs and 2 months) and he gets some decent stick on here for one reason or another - primarily to do with his touch and retention of the ball.

I'll agree a little bit, he is slightly ponderous if caught 40 yards from goal facing back towards his own half but then, as i said, he's a striker, not a ball playing midfielder. Here's how he operates;

Of Dzeko's 20 goals, 16 have been 1st time hits (including 3 headers). Of the other 4, all 4 have been short 1st time touches to get the ball out of his feet and then quickly finished. None of his goals involve more than 2 touches.

That is very telling. The lad is a natural box predator - in fact he has scored just once outside the 18 yard box - and he revels in cut backs and quick crosses. He has now scored 14 in a row with a 1st time hit, nearly all with the side of his foot.

For me this says play Edin high up and constantly feed the ball into his feet from wide positions. He is returning goals even when he looks a little dejected - more proof it comes naturally to him.

For a 3rd choice (apparently) striker, he is brilliant and we should fully get behind the lad. To sell him would be madness.
Here Here ! ! Exactly what I've been saying for the last few years. Is he the perfect footballer ? No. Is he good at his job ? Definitely !

shemnel said:
I like Edin Dzeko, i'll get it out there early, i think he's a decent striker but that, for me, is exactly what he is - a striker. Not a winger, not a forward and not much of a midfielder. The lad is a striker.

Edin's banged in 20 for the club this season (60 in 3 yrs and 2 months) and he gets some decent stick on here for one reason or another - primarily to do with his touch and retention of the ball.

I'll agree a little bit, he is slightly ponderous if caught 40 yards from goal facing back towards his own half but then, as i said, he's a striker, not a ball playing midfielder. Here's how he operates;

Of Dzeko's 20 goals, 16 have been 1st time hits (including 3 headers). Of the other 4, all 4 have been short 1st time touches to get the ball out of his feet and then quickly finished. None of his goals involve more than 2 touches.

That is very telling. The lad is a natural box predator - in fact he has scored just once outside the 18 yard box - and he revels in cut backs and quick crosses. He has now scored 14 in a row with a 1st time hit, nearly all with the side of his foot.

For me this says play Edin high up and constantly feed the ball into his feet from wide positions. He is returning goals even when he looks a little dejected - more proof it comes naturally to him.

For a 3rd choice (apparently) striker, he is brilliant and we should fully get behind the lad. To sell him would be madness.
Here Here ! ! Exactly what I've been saying for the last few years. Is he the perfect footballer ? No. Is he good at his job ? Definitely !

nice neil said:
shemnel said:

This gets a nod from me also. I feel he is traditional No.9, no frills, no fussyness, a blunt instrument striker. This tho, is why he wont last at City. Pellers likes his plyers to be footballers, to be able to go wide or come deep, a lot like Sergio does, and to a lesser extent Alvaro. Which is a shame for Edin, I for one would be sad to see him go.

dzeko was superb against the rags , and has shown a great attitude for the last few games , hes looking like a team player again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.