Edin Dzeko (contract update page 370)

Re: Edin Dzeko legend

teddykgb said:
Shaelumstash said:
kara54 said:
Anyone blaming Dzeko for the last night's performance either just does not have a clue about the game, or he simply does not like Dzeko and want be satisfied with him unless he scores every game he plays.

He was not outstanding, but was for sure one of best 3 city players last night, together with Clichy and Milner, who should not have been subbed.

But anyhow, I would not blame a single player, but rather our manager. We were simply outplayed by youngsters, like against Dortmund, like against Napoli away last year. Roberto should learn from Mr. Klopp and Mr. de Boer.

No, you do not have a clue about the game. No one is saying it was all Dzeko's fault last night, or that he stood out for being terrible. It is about the chemistry of the team. When he starts, we don't play as well as a team, he doesn't fit in to our style of play. Other players - notably Aguero and Tevez fit better in to the style of football we play, and link better with the players we have.

Dzeko's goal scoring record off the bench has been fantastic, but he's been here for 2 years and it a rarity that when he starts the team plays well. Before someone throws the Spurs away last season at me, name me 5 other games in the last 2 years where he's started and we've been brilliant as a team?

I like him, he's a nice guy, but stick to Supersub for the sake of the team.

No, Kara has the right of it. Some of you seriously need help understanding this game. It's embarassing reading BM today, absolutely embarassing. It's a basic failure of logic to try to equate a correlation to a causality, and that's happening up and down in this thread.

Dzeko was one of the few players who played well last night. Your argument seems to be that Aguero + Tevez (a partnership that has failed miserably for Argentina, mind you) would have somehow made Barry and Yaya faster and able to retain possession in midfield. Maybe Tevez would have forced Barry and Nasri to track their runner? Or for Lescott or Yaya to play the ball on the corner? It's complete nonsense. We could barely get the ball out of our own half yesterday, yet you want to focus on the striker chemistry? In fact, if it weren't for some excellent hold up play from Edin, we would have had even less possession than we had.

Dzeko was offside a few times yesterday, one was a bad call. When you ask a striker to lead the line, that's going to happen, a good striker lives on that balance. He also had our only credible chances in the 2nd half, aside from the Nasri flub, and trying to go around the keeper on his 2nd one was the right play, it just didn't come off. The first chance was a first time smash that the keeper made the save on, there was no other option there.

I'm not Bosnian, I could give two shits about the player's heritage, but it's astounding coming onto BM after that shitshow of a performance yesterday to see people slating one of the few players who put in a real shift and did his job. Our problems weren't due to which strikers we chose yesterday, we could have played any striker in the history of football yesterday and it wouldn't have mattered. Hell, Aguero was barely able to get into the game yesterday because we were so dominated in midfield that we couldn't play balls into feet and he's not large enough to win any of the aerial battles. If we hadn't played Dzeko yesterday we would have been moaning about how much of a mistake it was not to play a big guy and make our small players chase long balls when we clearly had no other way through.

RLY good post !

Mancini better starts Balo+Dzeko as we will be hoofing the ball a lot after being scared back to backpasses by opponents in the remaining 3 games.

teddykgb said:
Shaelumstash said:
kara54 said:
Anyone blaming Dzeko for the last night's performance either just does not have a clue about the game, or he simply does not like Dzeko and want be satisfied with him unless he scores every game he plays.

He was not outstanding, but was for sure one of best 3 city players last night, together with Clichy and Milner, who should not have been subbed.

But anyhow, I would not blame a single player, but rather our manager. We were simply outplayed by youngsters, like against Dortmund, like against Napoli away last year. Roberto should learn from Mr. Klopp and Mr. de Boer.

No, you do not have a clue about the game. No one is saying it was all Dzeko's fault last night, or that he stood out for being terrible. It is about the chemistry of the team. When he starts, we don't play as well as a team, he doesn't fit in to our style of play. Other players - notably Aguero and Tevez fit better in to the style of football we play, and link better with the players we have.

Dzeko's goal scoring record off the bench has been fantastic, but he's been here for 2 years and it a rarity that when he starts the team plays well. Before someone throws the Spurs away last season at me, name me 5 other games in the last 2 years where he's started and we've been brilliant as a team?

No, Kara has the right of it. Some of you seriously need help understanding this game. It's embarassing reading BM today, absolutely embarassing. It's a basic failure of logic to try to equate a correlation to a causality, and that's happening up and down in this thread.

Dzeko was one of the few players who played well last night. Your argument seems to be that Aguero + Tevez (a partnership that has failed miserably for Argentina, mind you) would have somehow made Barry and Yaya faster and able to retain possession in midfield. Maybe Tevez would have forced Barry and Nasri to track their runner? Or for Lescott or Yaya to play the ball on the corner? It's complete nonsense. We could barely get the ball out of our own half yesterday, yet you want to focus on the striker chemistry? In fact, if it weren't for some excellent hold up play from Edin, we would have had even less possession than we had.

Dzeko was offside a few times yesterday, one was a bad call. When you ask a striker to lead the line, that's going to happen, a good striker lives on that balance. He also had our only credible chances in the 2nd half, aside from the Nasri flub, and trying to go around the keeper on his 2nd one was the right play, it just didn't come off. The first chance was a first time smash that the keeper made the save on, there was no other option there.

I'm not Bosnian, I could give two shits about the player's heritage, but it's astounding coming onto BM after that shitshow of a performance yesterday to see people slating one of the few players who put in a real shift and did his job. Our problems weren't due to which strikers we chose yesterday, we could have played any striker in the history of football yesterday and it wouldn't have mattered. Hell, Aguero was barely able to get into the game yesterday because we were so dominated in midfield that we couldn't play balls into feet and he's not large enough to win any of the aerial battles. If we hadn't played Dzeko yesterday we would have been moaning about how much of a mistake it was not to play a big guy and make our small players chase long balls when we clearly had no other way through.

Again, read what I've actually said instead of what you imagine I said to suit your point of view.

I did not say Dzeko was at fault for us losing. I did not even say he had a bad game. What I said was, as a team, we don't tend to play as well when Dzeko starts.

The team was awful yesterday, I'm certainly not suggesting that is entirely Dzeko's fault. But the fact remains he has more of a positive impact on the team when coming off the bench, he's consistently not as effective when he starts.

I'm sure you're not a blinded Dzeko obsessive like some on here, so I'm sure you can recognise my point. I also do not care where any City player is from, and I sincerely hope you are not even attempting to suggest otherwise.

The point I have made about obsessive Bosnian Dzeko fans is that a lot of them are so blindly infactuated with him that they can not have a sensible considered debate about him. I've made the comparison with obsessive Michael Jackson fans, it's nothing to do with race, nationality or whatever, it's just some people have more obsessive / blinded / deluded fans than others.

AlthamBlue said:
Assume you didn't see Sergio playing on the left last night then? You know, out of position? Agree about Edin though. Thought he played well. The person at fault for last night's shambles is Mancini. For whatever reason his tactics in the CL (particularly for us, not sure what they were at Inter) are mind boggling.
He didn't play well but who did? Micah would be about it in my mind. Definitely agree that Mancini is more to blame than anyone else. I felt very sorry for Clichy last night.

Shaelumstash said:
Again, read what I've actually said instead of what you imagine I said to suit your point of view.

I did not say Dzeko was at fault for us losing. I did not even say he had a bad game. What I said was, as a team, we don't tend to play as well when Dzeko starts.

The team was awful yesterday, I'm certainly not suggesting that is entirely Dzeko's fault. But the fact remains he has more of a positive impact on the team when coming off the bench, he's consistently not as effective when he starts.

I'm sure you're not a blinded Dzeko obsessive like some on here, so I'm sure you can recognise my point. I also do not care where any City player is from, and I sincerely hope you are not even attempting to suggest otherwise.

The point I have made about obsessive Bosnian Dzeko fans is that a lot of them are so blindly infactuated with him that they can not have a sensible considered debate about him. I've made the comparison with obsessive Michael Jackson fans, it's nothing to do with race, nationality or whatever, it's just some people have more obsessive / blinded / deluded fans than others.

I read what you posted and responded to it. The striker choice had no bearing on our inability in midfield yesterday. The team didn't play poorly because Dzeko was inserted. We were unable to respond to their formation and were completely overrun. They were playing with 5-ish midfielders who were hardly troubled by our 4. In this instance, our manager's lack of love for wide play left us exposed where Nasri and Aguero were pinching inside far too often, letting their right back bomb forward and relieve any pressure we could generate with pressing play, which was nearly none anyway. They consistently and always had passes available through the midfield. They had multiple midfielders who attempted over 70 passes against us yesterday. There's literally no reason to be talking about any of our strikers today: Aguero, Tevez, Dzeko, Balotelli....none of it would have mattered. Dzeko and Aguero both tried to come deep to fetch the ball, but they couldn't solve the tactics issues. De Boer outright admitted that they were sure that we weren't going to track wide and setup his formation accordingly.

Even with the dire formation issues, our defense leaked a few goals. None of this has anything to do with Edin Dzeko. Your assertion that the team somehow plays differently when Edin is playing isn't proven by any data whatsoever. We even setup in a "favored" 4-2-3-1 formation that we played last season to great effect. We just couldn't possess the ball, couldn't get forward. Our midfield was consistently outnumbered and outpressed, the striker choice was simply irrelevant to how the team played and wouldn't have played out any differently with any other striker playing forward of the outclassed midfield.

Skashion said:
AlthamBlue said:
Assume you didn't see Sergio playing on the left last night then? You know, out of position? Agree about Edin though. Thought he played well. The person at fault for last night's shambles is Mancini. For whatever reason his tactics in the CL (particularly for us, not sure what they were at Inter) are mind boggling.
He didn't play well but who did? Micah would be about it in my mind. Definitely agree that Mancini is more to blame than anyone else. I felt very sorry for Clichy last night.

I thought Milner had an ok game, considering he was another out of position. Clichy was excellent in the 1st half. He had a lot to put up with down that side and for the most part dealt with it well.

The 2nd half was farcical with him at CB and then RB. Barry had a shocker. And as much as I like him. I think we can put this myth to bed of us not losing when he plays. How many people, particularly on here, have come out with "Barry plays, we don't concede that goal"?

AlthamBlue said:
Skashion said:
AlthamBlue said:

I thought Milner had an ok game, considering he was another out of position. Clichy was excellent in the 1st half. He had a lot to put up with down that side and for the most part dealt with it well.

The 2nd half was farcical with him at CB and then RB. Barry had a shocker. And as much as I like him. I think we can put this myth to bed of us not losing when he plays. How many people, particularly on here, have come out with "Barry plays, we don't concede that goal"?
Barry diden´t have his best game yesterday, lost the ball that led to their third goal but he ran his socks of unlike Yaya who strolled around and left Barry exposed most of the time.

Whoever scout him for 27m should be arrested, wonder why we couldn't offload him even for 20m...<br /><br />-- Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:13 pm --<br /><br />Whoever scout him for 27m should be arrested, wonder why we couldn't offload him even for 20m...

teddykgb said:
Shaelumstash said:

I read what you posted and responded to it. The striker choice had no bearing on our inability in midfield yesterday. The team didn't play poorly because Dzeko was inserted. We were unable to respond to their formation and were completely overrun. They were playing with 5-ish midfielders who were hardly troubled by our 4. In this instance, our manager's lack of love for wide play left us exposed where Nasri and Aguero were pinching inside far too often, letting their right back bomb forward and relieve any pressure we could generate with pressing play, which was nearly none anyway. They consistently and always had passes available through the midfield. They had multiple midfielders who attempted over 70 passes against us yesterday. There's literally no reason to be talking about any of our strikers today: Aguero, Tevez, Dzeko, Balotelli....none of it would have mattered. Dzeko and Aguero both tried to come deep to fetch the ball, but they couldn't solve the tactics issues. De Boer outright admitted that they were sure that we weren't going to track wide and setup his formation accordingly.

Even with the dire formation issues, our defense leaked a few goals. None of this has anything to do with Edin Dzeko. Your assertion that the team somehow plays differently when Edin is playing isn't proven by any data whatsoever. We even setup in a "favored" 4-2-3-1 formation that we played last season to great effect. We just couldn't possess the ball, couldn't get forward. Our midfield was consistently outnumbered and outpressed, the striker choice was simply irrelevant to how the team played and wouldn't have played out any differently with any other striker playing forward of the outclassed midfield.

I don't think you actually have read my post.

Read again what I said in the second paragraph of my last post and then tell me how your reply makes any sense.

Shaelumstash said:
teddykgb said:
Shaelumstash said:

Dzeko not start against RM.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.