Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most City fans have endured a difficult season with Edin. His inconsistent performances have proved to be very frustrating. Apart from the actual performances we all know what he is capable of when he puts his mind to it. He is a big powerfully built player who doesn't throw his weight around enough. Sometimes the ball appears to bounce off him like it is made of flubber.

And yet, for some almost unaccountable reason (blind faith?), I am now wavering to the side of those that think we should keep him.

Edin strikes me as being very much a confidence player. A lot of that confidence has disappeared in the last 12 months. With the change of leadership (and a more holistic managerial approach) my gut feeling is that he might start to thrive again. If Pellegrini gets the job I believe this would really suit Edin. He needs a warmer Manager who will give him the occasional complement.

I am now thinking that he might thrive if we get Pellegrini. The psychological side of football is terribly important, and an aspect that I think RM completely overlooked. My feeling is that the style of Pellegrini may be a match made in heaven.

I appreciate that most have already condemned him to the gallows. I have changed my mind. I think we should strongly consider retaining him.

Besides I don't want him to do a Mario and go elsewhere and score a million goals under a new Manager in Germany.

Dzeko & Hyde said:
ElanJo said:
AntiUnited said:
teves nasri out then ye ?

Nasri, yes perhaps

Tevez? no. He may be arrogant but he's no Bambi unlike Dzeko

Yeah we should definitely keep Tevez and play him full time and take advantage of his goal per 200 minute average.

It's true that as an out-and out striker his goal-scoring record hasn't been great in the last couple of seasons (and he's had a habit of going on long goalless runs; 4 goal-droughts of over 4.5 games this season, including one of almost 7 games), but he still has the best team goals for/against ratio of the three strikers, which shows he's contributing something other than goals to the team. He's certainly had quite a few assists, but we also concede fewer goals as well when he plays. This all leads me to the conclusion [although it's based mostly on simply watching him play... :-) ] that he's really not an out-and-out striker at all, but more of an attacking midfielder most of the time. In which case, if we keep him, we really need to buy another striker, because right now we only have two (Aguero and Dzeko).

If Tevez really is a midfielder now, it helps to explain why he and Dzeko have had the statistically best 'striker' partnership this season; when they play together Dzeko is more of the main striker up front with one extra supporting midfielder helping to set him up.

CaliforniaBlue said:
Dzeko & Hyde said:
ElanJo said:
Nasri, yes perhaps

Tevez? no. He may be arrogant but he's no Bambi unlike Dzeko

Yeah we should definitely keep Tevez and play him full time and take advantage of his goal per 200 minute average.

It's true that as an out-and out striker his goal-scoring record hasn't been great in the last couple of seasons (and he's had a habit of going on long goalless runs; 4 goal-droughts of over 4.5 games this season, including one of almost 7 games), but he still has the best team goals for/against ratio of the three strikers, which shows he's contributing something other than goals to the team. He's certainly had quite a few assists, but we also concede fewer goals as well when he plays. This all leads me to the conclusion [although it's based mostly on simply watching him play... :-) ] that he's really not an out-and-out striker at all, but more of an attacking midfielder most of the time. In which case, if we keep him, we really need to buy another striker, because right now we only have two (Aguero and Dzeko).

If Tevez really is a midfielder now, it helps to explain why he and Dzeko have had the statistically best 'striker' partnership this season; when they play together Dzeko is more of the main striker up front with one extra supporting midfielder helping to set him up.

THIS I agree with! Tevez has a lot of use on this team. His workrate, his playmaking ability, etc. just don't play him in a striker position. He just isn't putting the ball in the net enough to warrant it anymore. Middle field from now on.

jollylescott said:
I am now thinking that he might thrive if we get Pellegrini. The psychological side of football is terribly important, and an aspect that I think RM completely overlooked. My feeling is that the style of Pellegrini may be a match made in heaven.

Agree. It is no coincidence big clubs in Germany are keeping tabs of Dzeko. If Pellegrini can fit a sack of dung like Santa Cruz in his team, and have him score goals, imagine what MP could do with Dzeko.

Agree that Dzeko should stay now. If Crocky can be made into a scoring machine by Pellegrini, Dzeko would be a world beater by this time next year.

Has any other player polarised Bluemoon opinion quite like Edin Dzeko?

The guy is an enigma.

jollylescott said:
I think most City fans have endured a difficult season with Edin. His inconsistent performances have proved to be very frustrating. Apart from the actual performances we all know what he is capable of when he puts his mind to it. He is a big powerfully built player who doesn't throw his weight around enough. Sometimes the ball appears to bounce off him like it is made of flubber.

And yet, for some almost unaccountable reason (blind faith?), I am now wavering to the side of those that think we should keep him.

Edin strikes me as being very much a confidence player. A lot of that confidence has disappeared in the last 12 months. With the change of leadership (and a more holistic managerial approach) my gut feeling is that he might start to thrive again. If Pellegrini gets the job I believe this would really suit Edin. He needs a warmer Manager who will give him the occasional complement.

I appreciate that most have already condemned him to the gallows. I have changed my mind. I think we should strongly consider retaining him.

Besides I don't want him to do a Mario and go elsewhere and score a million goals under a new Manager in Germany.

Great post. We all know it would be Mario all over again if he left.

To be honest, it'd be stupid selling him now. Mancini didn't rate him, but a new manager coming in may get even more out of him. I'd be giving him one more season at least, because lets face it - he's barely raised a sweat this year and still scored 15 goals.

Edin plays the furthest forward whenever he plays no matter who else is playing so of course he is likely to score.

Other forwards play all or some of their time in the 3 behind the front 1 - so the goal minute comparison is a bit of a joke.

Silva and Tevez have given him it on a plate for his last two (Milner before that), but no get rid of these players for 'wingers'. Or do we get rid of the holding players, or maybe 5 in attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.