Elano's Depature

MCRJON said:
When he returned he played most of the games at right back!!

He started playing at right back against Fulham, the penultimate home game of the season. Not when he came back after Christmas.

MCRJON said:
When he went into the press he didnt criticise Hughes in any way, lots of people jumped on a bandwagon without reading what he said (see Jonathan Ross / Russell Brand). He said he had been dropped and the manager hadnt spoken to him to explain why and his attempts to talk to the manager had gone unanswered - who was the unprofessional one there??

Why did he speak to the press and not Hughes? If he was unhappy at Hughes's treatment of him, it's Hughes he should speak to. If Hughes was unprofessional in the manner he dropped Elano, Elano was equally as unprofessional in airing their dirty linen in public.

MCRJON said:
He got in a couple of times after that - remember how he created acres of space v Hull by pulling players to him and giving to Ireland in co who ran rampant in said space and he put a massive shift in v wigan v 10 men... then what... dropped again.

He did, there's no denying that. But there's also no deny that, for just as many good performances and shifts he put in, he looked disinterested and lazy in other games.

MCRJON said:
Biggest Irony is that he probably saved Hughes' job with the performance v Hamburg, never forget the look on the two Hamburg fans faces after the home leg when they were asking me whether Elano had been injured for the 1st leg and i said no, we decided to play SWP in midfield instead.

The frustration is probably best summed up by his Hamburg performance. He showed he was able to run a game against one of the best in Europe, so why can he be so anonymous for so long, too?

MCRJON said:
Obviosly though he is good enough for Brazil and not for City...

Different players in both teams, so if he doesn't fit in at one place it doesn't mean he won't fit in in another.

I've enjoyed his performances most of the time here and am sad to see him go, but if he wants regular first team football he was going to have to buck his ideas up and perform regularly or move on. Seems to suit both of us that he moved on. It's a shame to see him go, but I'm not devastated he's gone. He'll leave with my best wishes.

MCRJON said:
im gutted about this. Weve sold imo our most technically gifted player.

People say he hasnt played well since Xmas in season 1 but thats a load bollocks. He was fantastic and one of the main reasons we start that season so well. He was injured over that xmas and it was openly said he had been carrying a knock he picked up playing for Brazil in the October.

When he returned he played most of the games at right back!! This season i though he started very well, he was instrumental in the early season wins, notbaly v west ham and was dropped for no reason. Got back in October and again played well again only to be dropped again so we could play SWP in midfield.... id be pissed off.

People dont realise that for most of 2008 his wife was in hospistal due to a complicated pregnancy and only really returned home after having the child in november.

When he went into the press he didnt criticise Hughes in any way, lots of people jumped on a bandwagon without reading what he said (see Jonathan Ross / Russell Brand). He said he had been dropped and the manager hadnt spoken to him to explain why and his attempts to talk to the manager had gone unanswered - who was the unprofessional one there??

He got in a couple of times after that - remember how he created acres of space v Hull by pulling players to him and giving to Ireland in co who ran rampant in said space and he put a massive shift in v wigan v 10 men... then what... dropped again.

Biggest Irony is that he probably saved Hughes' job with the performance v Hamburg, never forget the look on the two Hamburg fans faces after the home leg when they were asking me whether Elano had been injured for the 1st leg and i said no, we decided to play SWP in midfield instead.

Obviosly though he is good enough for Brazil and not for City...

Fair point but Robinho is our most technically gifted player, Imo.

I feel sad letting him go, I would think that he would of gone to a stronger leauge, no doubt that he's able for it, thanks for the good memories, I'll never forget the Free kick at Newcastle and when you gave your everything in the Hamburg game, Good luck Blumer. :)

Really sad to see him go. I have never seen a better penalty taker. Every goal he scored was special. Thanks for the memories lad, now time to move on to bigger and better things.

mammutly said:
pee dubya said:
That seems to be the Hughes' target cohort. He's signings are all mostly that age.

IMO, Elano's departure says a lot about our manager's limitations. He's buying a solid premiership side and I fully expect us to do top 6 next season and top 4 after that. I don't think he's capabale of winning anything though.
Adebayor - 25
Toure- 28
Tevez- 25
Santa Cruz- 27
Barry- 28
Taylor- 28
De Jong- 24
Kompany- 23
Robinho- 25
Bellamy- 30
Jo- 22
Zabaleta- 24
Bridge- 28
Given- 33
SWP- 27
TBH- 27
Average: 424/16 = 26.5

sweep said:
Shame to lose his creative talent, probably the most aware and best passer we've had since Berkovic, but it clearly wasn't going to work as hes not a hughes type player. Not sure I believe much of the dressing room disruption stories as I don't tend to lap up press rumours as readily as some, although to be fair I suspect most quality players might have cause for complaint if their reward for a decent performance is to be dropped in favour of Vassell.

Good luck to him.

nail head hit

BlueMooney said:
MCRJON said:

Why did he speak to the press and not Hughes? If he was unhappy at Hughes's treatment of him, it's Hughes he should speak to. If Hughes was unprofessional in the manner he dropped Elano, Elano was equally as unprofessional in airing their dirty linen in public.

As ive pointed out, he said in that interview that he had made a couple of attempts to go and talk to the manager but had been turned away.

People saying he lacked consistancy last season but when did he get a straight run in the side, whenever he was playing well he would be innexplically dropped for no reason. Usually in favour of playing SWP in central mid which is comical.

He played a lot of games last season but how many did he play in the advanced midfield role? People talking about players turning up home and away, can you tell me who did turn up away from home last season? Ireland, most games, the rest..... well exactly. It wasnt Elanos fault we won only twice away from home - incidently when he was playing.

mammutly said:
I'm sure you can read. So tell me...... what argument is 'not left'?

I've given my opinion. I've hidden no agendas. I've been as totally straight up and crystal clear as I know how. I've said exactly what I think and why.

I actually think my arguments stand up pretty well against your smart arse little digs.

So how come you are still implying something else?

I disagree with you Billy. That's it! That's all! There is no more!!

Get over yourself FFS.

Elano is vastly overrated by certain segments of City's support. This has been shown to be fact by his move to Galatasaray. To suggest he is some kind of genius who Hughes simply couldn't get to grips with is patently not true. SGE couldn't get much out of Elano after a couple of months the season had gone.

Whats more, coincidentally, those who vastly overrate Elano on this board are the same lot who think Hughes is a "workaday" manager. Now that argument is weak in the extreme. Hughes may or may not turn out to be our most successful manager ever, but to suggest he can't work with creative players is patently horseshit. Hence my criticism of the things you've posted, and my reference to yours, and other posters', hidden agendas.

Now I'm going to the breakfast buffet...

With Elano are gone will we get a more workmanlike 'Mark Hughes' team. The teams that will continue to struggle to break down the likes of Bolton, Stoke, WBA, Boro (i know theyve gone) away from home. What worries me is that last season we stuck to one system regardless of who was available and who we were playing.

Elano shouldnt play every game, neither should Robinho. But neither should De Jong, Kompany, Zabaleta etc. Some games we will need to play rough and tumble players in and some games we will need to play more flair based players.

Hughes never had to man manage big stars at Blackburn, he has a couple who could play every game. Is no one else worried that we had one flair player last season who he needed to manage and work with and he failed, whilst now we have 3/4 that will need to be managed. Time will tell on that for Lesley, in many ways I hope then it was just Elanos fault and he can make it work with the new batch.

Backing up a bit, Elano was our most technically gifted player. Robinho is a flair player, but things like never missing a penalty, being able to select which toe on a players foot the ball lands on when you pass it from 60 yeards. Those are true techincal attributes and Elan had them. Ireland could have that, but not yet.

MCRJON said:
With Elano are gone will we get a more workmanlike 'Mark Hughes' team. The teams that will continue to struggle to break down the likes of Bolton, Stoke, WBA, Boro (i know theyve gone) away from home. What worries me is that last season we stuck to one system regardless of who was available and who we were playing.

Elano shouldnt play every game, neither should Robinho. But neither should De Jong, Kompany, Zabaleta etc. Some games we will need to play rough and tumble players in and some games we will need to play more flair based players.

Hughes never had to man manage big stars at Blackburn, he has a couple who could play every game. Is no one else worried that we had one flair player last season who he needed to manage and work with and he failed, whilst now we have 3/4 that will need to be managed. Time will tell on that for Lesley, in many ways I hope then it was just Elanos fault and he can make it work with the new batch.

Backing up a bit, Elano was our most technically gifted player. Robinho is a flair player, but things like never missing a penalty, being able to select which toe on a players foot the ball lands on when you pass it from 60 yeards. Those are true techincal attributes and Elan had them. Ireland could have that, but not yet.

Second
Ironically, Hughes rates player from how many miles they run in the field that’s why Elano is underrated. lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.