Electric cars

Pleasure in what way?

Top down, sun's out, hitting every apex kind of pleasure?
That is an issue, there really aren't any fun EVs which dont cost an absolute fortune.
Tesla do the roadster but its inaccessible unless you have £200k burning a hole in your pocket and even then they dont make the right noise.

It’s the lag between pushing the accelerator and the speed compared to the instance response of the EV.

The lack of gears, makes it so smooth too.

The kick you get in the back, when you push it is unreal.

I know it’s an unpopular opinion (plus very unromantic) and the lack of noise (it has a synthetic sound that is like a spaceship, not good), is a miss.

But it’s fun as it’s just so quick and feels futuristic in comparison.

thanks, I'm too old and crumbly to enjoy driving these days, plus every road within a radius of 10 miles of me seems to have cones and a hole in it. I'm quite tempted by the Toymotor CH-R thing I must confess
I'd like a CH-R too but made the mistake of mentioning to my mrs about the small rear windows. Test driving the hybrid Honda HR-V next month when our petrol one goes in for service, I'd prefer a toyota but the 'magic rear seat' feature in the honda is excellent.

Ironic then that the main drain culprit on an ev battery is hard acceleration...
Not to mention the wear on the tyres due to the torque.
In reality, under normal driving conditions, the 0-60 time is pretty irrelevant, it's a dick wave figure. I'd take a ten second 0-60 with a 600 mile range all day long.

Must be fun though, granted :-)

self charging hybrids, worth it or not? I have a big lump of a diesel due to be replaced in september, dont do anywhere near the miles I envisaged when I bought it so it seems sensible to look at alternatives, I find my previously cynical head is being turned. Plug in anything isnt an option for me so .....
Hybrids are obvs a good compromise if you don't want to go full electric.
The m.p.g. is around the 65 mile per gallon mark. They have been around for longer than full electric too, so any faults have been identified/rectified.
A great compromise imo.

It’s the lag between pushing the accelerator and the speed compared to the instance response of the EV.

The lack of gears, makes it so smooth too.

The kick you get in the back, when you push it is unreal.

I know it’s an unpopular opinion (plus very unromantic) and the lack of noise (it has a synthetic sound that is like a spaceship, not good), is a miss.

But it’s fun as it’s just so quick and feels futuristic in comparison.

Gears, and changing correctly, whilst hitting an apex, on a nice road, is one of life's pleasures.

I used an EV a while ago and, although smooth, it bored me. It's like a dull automatic. Sure the acceleration was great but after that the lack of noise, feedback and actual driving fun was horrible. I'd use it for long motorway journey's, foot down, relax and watch it eat up the miles.

The trouble with this is range. Or lack of it. I'm off to the south coast on Sunday night. 120 miles there. All fine. Getting back not so. Middle of nowhere with no charging points. What do I do? Go find a charging point somewhere and let it do it's job before collecting it again? That's madness.
The infrastructure is not there.

I live outside Oxford and there is no way i could drive to the ground and back in a day. I would have to build in some sort of stop on the way up and hope i could get on a charger. Might go hybrid after 2030 but looking to get a new petrol in 2028 before they disappear.

I have a 2019 Petrol Audi which I bought in 2020 on a 3-year lease. I do between 5-6k of miles per year. I am probably the average driver so millions do fewer miles than me and loads to more.
20% of all drivers drive 80% of the miles.
Surely, it is only these drivers where it makes sense to switch to electric?
If I keep my car 8 years how is it worse for the environment than me getting an expensive new electric car in a years time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.