Electric cars

Rubbish!
Batteries are the new computer chips - manufacturers looking to reduce size/increase capacity/speed up charge all the time. EV's have come a LONG in the last few years.
There's still a long way to go, but to call it an electric con is very blinkered.
Ok seeing as you didn't reply to my response I'll ask you a couple of direct questions.
How, in your opinion, has battery technology advanced In the last ten years?
And how do you think the manufacturers will achieve the increase in performance that you predict?
How can we charge these quickly, given that a battery is, in itself, a chemical trade off, a self destructing slow death, which we maintain until the laws of physics says otherwise.
Are these manufacturers you speak of changing the rules?

Anyone know - is it better for planet if we all drive these or will it be just as sh*tty with us all taxing grid? Sorry if naive, I just have no clue.

prices for them dropping so fast tho, so if good great, no?

Very close to putting in an order for an ID3 Tour as my next company car, replacing a Honda Civic. Claimed 340 range, research says 305 real world, would be looking to have a home charger installed. Once or twice a week I make a 400 mile round trip, but pretty much all on the motorway network. Having researched locations of chargers on the motorway (Corley and Rugby services would be ideal stop on the return) feel that this could work pretty well for me.

Arranged a weekend long demo next (but with the smaller battery as that all they have available as demos). And going to see how the journeys stack up in real life.

The big incentive is the BiK and personal fuel saving leaving me around £300 a month better off for what looks like a 40 min stop twice a week (currently have the stop every two hours for 30 mins anyway).

Here's a thing - why do electric cars look like cars? Sounds daft but here me out. EV's are traditional cars - 2 or 3 box designs. Why? I think they could improve the reach by changing the game.

The original Mercedes A class had an engine that was sandwiched almost under the floor. Batteries are often fitted beneath the floor. Hybrids have had electric motors on the axles and in the hubs of cars in the past.

Why not batteries under the floor with an engine or even electric motors on the axles thus meaning no need for a "bonnet" and completely new shapes - you could probably get 6 or 7 seats on the footprint of a MINI for starters - urban delivery vans could be smaller too - the insistence of just simply fitting EV running gear into an existing chassis and body isn't taking the game forward enough.

New take I had never thought off is safety of lone motorists whilst charging.

Really good point that mate. Like the article says let’s fix the problem now before it becomes a news headline.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.