Eliaquim Mangala - now official

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Eliaquim Mangala

Think there will be some growing pains but Vinny and Martin together with our coaches will sort him out and in a couple of years we'll be well pleased with this player.

A Porto fans view on rag cafe

Where did you read it? I can't find any confirmation of the deal. It's almost certain, I think, but not confirmed yet. I think it cooled off because football people possibly know he's City bound already. Which means quiet agent, quiet player, little to speculate with. Mind, I'm not sure he's bound, just think it very likely to be the case.

I don't think he's one of the best CBs around yet. Still a lot of ironing to do. He has some impressive things in his game, but still lacks that consistency that defines top CBs. He shares some of those David Luiz traits (too rash, too adventurous, and caught off-guard or with a brain fart too often) in a smaller scale. You expect him to improve with experience, but the chance he won't makes him not worth the £32m I have seen touted for City's bid, in my opinion. Luiz was also supposed to improve and become a beast with time, and he only got worse. I'm still confident Mangala will have a lot more success.

Can't compare him with Varane, I saw very little non-Porto football this season so must have seen Varane play 4 or 5 times and paid little attention to him.

If we indeed sell him for €40m and substitute him with a <10m Martins Indi, as it seems to be the case, I don't think we'll be complaining much.

Eliaquim Mangala

Just had a quick look at him on YouTube,he's a big lad,reads the game well,strong in the air and has CL experience,we all have to trust the boys in charge who identify these targets as they did a great job last season.

Fully expect 5+ goals from him next year, he attacks the ball in the air as well as anyone I've ever seen. Chuffed about this signing, he has all the strengths we need with the way we play. Pace, aggression, comfortbale on the ball and dominant in the air. It might take a few months for him and Kompany to get the hang of covering for each other when they push forwards (both with the ball and to tackle), but the covering of Fernando or Garcia should hopefully help smooth things over. In time though, I can see this being a really impressive partnership. Mangala plays far better with an experienced leader alongside him and no one fits that bill better than Kompany.

Before I start this post let me first say I am very pleased if these Mangala rumours are now true. Tho i'd have personally preferred Benatia, Eliaquim is younger and has experience of high level CL football, hopefully with a great future ahead.

Also, apologies if this post had already been made by someone already, or a post along similar lines.

What i'll say is that I feel City have in a way, kind of wasted this window. YES we do seem to have paid for 2 excellent players in Mangala and Fernando that will potentially improve the squad depth vastly. HOWEVER, City could have already potentially signed these 2 players back in January, where everyone still admitted that, if we were to have competed on all 4 fronts both signings were needed. Fernando and Mangala (or at least one of them) could have been a City player already on Feb 1st of this year, and by delaying their transfer (the fees involved for either player are hardly any lower than what Porto demanded back in January) we've ended blowing the entire FFP set budget on them. If City had completed one or both of the deals then we might of still been able to go for a luxury signing this Summer (i.e one of Vidal/Pogba/Barkley/Sanchez/Fabregas or someone else that may become available).

I'll reiterate, i'm very happy with the signings, just disappointed we couldn't of done any of the deals months back and spent the FFP allowance in another way. I'll admit however, that most likely Txiki and co, weren't aware of the exact punishment we'd get regarding FFP (still a joke) if we'd receive any at all so delaying those deals was understandable in that regard.

BigOscar said:
Fully expect 5+ goals from him next year, he attacks the ball in the air as well as anyone I've ever seen. Chuffed about this signing, he has all the strengths we need with the way we play. Pace, aggression, comfortbale on the ball and dominant in the air. It might take a few months for him and Kompany to get the hang of covering for each other when they push forwards (both with the ball and to tackle), but the covering of Fernando or Garcia should hopefully help smooth things over. In time though, I can see this being a really impressive partnership. Mangala plays far better with an experienced leader alongside him and no one fits that bill better than Kompany.

Providing Vinny stays fit.Really hope you are right Big O,will buy you a pint in the Top Shop if you are but I think you might be wrong on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.