Elon Musk buys and ruins Twitter

On a final note, the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y were the best selling cars in the UK in December, more Model Ys were sold than Minis last year and they're even outstripping sales of everything in terrible right-wing places like Norway. Who'd of thought that so many people liked driving around in so called MAGA hats? Maybe like me they just don't care about politics and certainly not US politics.

Tesla had 2.12% of the market share of UK new car registrations in 2022, making them the 16th biggest car manufacturer.

No, he didn't, as anyone who owned large amounts of stock were allowed to roll over their public shares into private equity.

So Saudi Arabia owns some, Jack Dorsey, QIA, Binance all own varying %.
I stand corrected.
From what I can gather Musk funded just over 60% of the takeover from his own funds which were a combination of cash mostly from selling Tesla shares and loans from various institutions secured against other Tesla shares. The remaining ~40% was funded by existing shareholders rolling their equity into the company as you say.

Tesla had 2.12% of the market share of UK new car registrations in 2022, making them the 16th biggest car manufacturer.
That is stupidly unfair because Tesla operates solely in the electric car market which for now is relatively small and niche. They will never break into the top manufacturers anytime soon for very obvious reasons, because most people aren't buying electric cars yet.

Let's face it, if you're going to buy an EV then why would you buy any other car? We can forget price because Tesla's main competitors are in the more luxury oriented market(IE, BMW or Mercedes) and they're all more expensive. A BMW i4 starts at £56k, a Tesla Model 3 is £48k.

For a start which other car is integrated into its own dedicated charging network? Tesla provides its own charging network dedicated to Tesla cars. The other manufacturers are totally reliant on 3rd party chargers so as EV sales rise that means your non-Tesla car will be sharing chargers with other non-Tesla cars.

That'll be lovely when you're making a long journey and there's at best 2-4 charging points at a location which is almost always the case. Tesla supercharger stations have at least 12 charger points and they're always opening more and upgrading them. This is where Tesla are a million miles ahead.

tesla-uk-sales-1536x717.png

That is stupidly unfair because Tesla operates solely in the electric car market which for now is relatively small and niche.

Yes, that’s also why Ferrari have low sales. They operate in a small niche of the car market.

That is stupidly unfair because Tesla operates solely in the electric car market which for now is relatively small and niche. They will never break into the top manufacturers anytime soon for very obvious reasons, because most people aren't buying electric cars yet.

Let's face it, if you're going to buy an EV then why would you buy any other car? We can forget price because Tesla's main competitors are in the more luxury oriented market(IE, BMW or Mercedes) and they're all more expensive. A BMW i4 starts at £56k, a Tesla Model 3 is £48k.

For a start which other car is integrated into its own dedicated charging network? Tesla provides its own charging network dedicated to Tesla cars. The other manufacturers are totally reliant on 3rd party chargers so as EV sales rise that means your non-Tesla car will be sharing chargers with other non-Tesla cars.

That'll be lovely when you're making a long journey and there's at best 2-4 charging points at a location which is almost always the case. Tesla supercharger stations have at least 12 charger points and they're always opening more and upgrading them. This is where Tesla are a million miles ahead.

You’re posting statistic of Tesla performance in the car market, and then get upset when someone points out broader statistics in the car market.

Just looking at your own tables, where 29% of yearly Model Y sales were registered in 1 month should be enough for anyone to realise that this 1 month snapshot is not an accurate portrayal of Tesla’s position in the market.

As for why would anyone buy an electric car that’s not Tesla, you’ll have to ask some of the 205,000 people that did just that last year.

Because Tesla’s 54,000 registrations in the UK was only 20% of the UK full electric car registrations - which doesn’t include PHEVs.

Last edited:

What are the capital costs to maintain such a network? Why wouldn't a private market solution emerge to service the ther brands more effectively at no cost to those manufacturers?

And the average car trip in the UK is 8 miles long. I'd bet the massive majority of trips are under 20. What percentage of Tesla charging stops do you think take place at an owner's home?

I have no dog in this fight (other than once again I've been 100% correct about what kind of person Musk is), but he won't be around forever and Tesla might, plus while the brand may ultimately be damaged by his idiot shenanigans, it also may not be. I'm not sure I understand the benefits of the "locked in" strategy you're referring to, though I get the idea is closed network vs. open, i.e. Apple vs. others. Little different when you are dealing with much longer-lived companies with long-standing brands.

You REALLY like Elon Musk/Tesla don’t you?!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.