Elon Musk buys and ruins Twitter

Is that a serious question?
Most people I know looking for EV’s are avoiding Tesla’s now.

Main one waiting for a jaguar. The reason for avoiding Teslas for him is the interior being so cheap now. New Tesla’s don’t even have dashboard! Just a cheap looking laptop screen in the middle of the car.

1673135234151.jpeg

Most people I know looking for EV’s are avoiding Tesla’s now.

Main one waiting for a jaguar. The reason for avoiding Teslas for him is the interior being so cheap now. New Tesla’s don’t even have dashboard! Just a cheap looking laptop screen in the middle of the car.

View attachment 65474
Got a lift in one of those. Couldn’t believe how basic it looked.

What are the capital costs to maintain such a network? Why wouldn't a private market solution emerge to service the ther brands more effectively at no cost to those manufacturers?

And the average car trip in the UK is 8 miles long. I'd bet the massive majority of trips are under 20. What percentage of Tesla charging stops do you think take place at an owner's home?

I have no dog in this fight (other than once again I've been 100% correct about what kind of person Musk is), but he won't be around forever and Tesla might, plus while the brand may ultimately be damaged by his idiot shenanigans, it also may not be. I'm not sure I understand the benefits of the "locked in" strategy you're referring to, though I get the idea is closed network vs. open, i.e. Apple vs. others. Little different when you are dealing with much longer-lived companies with long-standing brands.
It’s not a closed system from an ownership point of view. Anyone with a Tesla can charge anywhere else too.

It’s closed to the outside (not true at all locations actually anymore) but then it’s not free to charge so the price reflects whatever the capital costs are. You have to remember that superchargers were once completely free.

Either way I’m not all that fussed as I’ll get nowhere on here. I’m defending the disruptor which has challenged the status quo.

I’m just not overly excited by defending or promoting companies that exist to count profits and spend their R&D budgets on paying fines for cheating emissions tests.

I have been in a few of the early ones and the interiors were excellent. The new generation tho look, as you say. basic.
It's always been a complaint about American cars though, hasn't it? On paper you get cars that are the same performance as premium European cars for half the price. And then you notice all the corners they've cut to achieve that, with the interior often being a major area of cost saving.

You wonder if Tesla were willing to give a bit more of a premium experience while they were getting established as a brand, but like so many companies, eventually the need to make a profit forces them to make savings somewhere or increase prices. I wonder if long term, their competitors are going to be the likes of Mercedes and BMW, or whether they're aiming more for the Toyota, Honda, Ford part of the market.

It's always been a complaint about American cars though, hasn't it? On paper you get cars that are the same performance as premium European cars for half the price. And then you notice all the corners they've cut to achieve that, with the interior often being a major area of cost saving.

You wonder if Tesla were willing to give a bit more of a premium experience while they were getting established as a brand, but like so many companies, eventually the need to make a profit forces them to make savings somewhere or increase prices. I wonder if long term, their competitors are going to be the likes of Mercedes and BMW, or whether they're aiming more for the Toyota, Honda, Ford part of the market.
It’s not just that they’re basic, the build quality would even have Leyland DAF’s Friday afternoon shift blushing. I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole. I’ve only got one client with one but they sold it after a month and went with a new BMW.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.