Elon Musk buys and ruins Twitter

Stuff on the Elon vs Open AI thing I posted about yesterday.

This is the historically correct version;

Here's Sam Altman on Lex Friedman's podcast today, calling Elon 'A Jerk'.

The fuller version looks even worse for Elon. Like he truly stiffed himself and thought he'd let OpenAI go to the wall. But to me, OpenAI + Twitter would have had massive potential. Maybe he stopped any link up there. But at the same time, I've a vague suspicion buying Twitter sorta looks like compensation for his ego. Clearly it happened just as GPT3.5 started to make waves.

Still. Twitter wasn't a disaster some predicted. It's been uneven, but it's run easily enough, and remains a massive draw for people. It's worth having. The inevitability is that he, like all these guys, will end up letting go of control. But he'll remain 'in charge' of a thing of value far beyond than his short term political messaging and ego-wankery.

They can run it. People want to use it. It has revenue, and he's slashed costs. Was always going to be hard to truly destroy a thing that's actually not that complicated, when you have people who easily know enough to repair it, when the dropouts in the service only increase awareness and therefore demand.

A jerk is a jerk. Elon's a jerk. He makes life difficult for himself. But he's a jerk with three future oriented class leading companies like Tesla, Space X, and Twitter, needs to be respected for their ability and standing in the game. He is going nowhere. And I hate to tell people like this, but people are jerks. Big time. Elon is in touch with that, in touch with the reality of people, at moments you and I are not. And being a jerk is not even the worst thing you can be. Sometimes not being a jerk is a misguided niceity. And all the song and dance we make about that is just waffle. He's not affected by that. On either score. That is partly why he is where he is. People should get real. Otherwise the jerks will run away with it.

Stuff on the Elon vs Open AI thing I posted about yesterday.

This is the historically correct version;

Here's Sam Altman on Lex Friedman's podcast today, calling Elon 'A Jerk'.

The fuller version looks even worse for Elon. Like he truly stiffed himself and thought he'd let OpenAI go to the wall. But to me, OpenAI + Twitter would have had massive potential. Maybe he stopped any link up there. But at the same time, I've a vague suspicion buying Twitter sorta looks like compensation for his ego. Clearly it happened just as GPT3.5 started to make waves.

Still. Twitter wasn't a disaster some predicted. It's been uneven, but it's run easily enough, and remains a massive draw for people. It's worth having. The inevitability is that he, like all these guys, will end up letting go of control. But he'll remain 'in charge' of a thing of value far beyond than his short term political messaging and ego-wankery.

They can run it. People want to use it. It has revenue, and he's slashed costs. Was always going to be hard to truly destroy a thing that's actually not that complicated, when you have people who easily know enough to repair it, when the dropouts in the service only increase awareness and therefore demand.

A jerk is a jerk. Elon's a jerk. He makes life difficult for himself. But he's a jerk with three future oriented class leading companies like Tesla, Space X, and Twitter, needs to be respected for their ability and standing in the game. He is going nowhere. And I hate to tell people like this, but people are jerks. Big time. Elon is in touch with that, in touch with the reality of people, at moments you and I are not. And being a jerk is not even the worst thing you can be. Sometimes not being a jerk is a misguided niceity. And all the song and dance we make about that is just waffle. He's not affected by that. On either score. That is partly why he is where he is. People should get real. Otherwise the jerks will run away with it.

Elon bought Twitter in part because he thought it was a woke liberal echo chamber and it needed 'fixing'. He honestly thought that he could neutralise the bias in the coding and it would be full of intelligent and articulate right wing centred debate. He also thought that it would be easy to ramp up the income streams.

So far his dabbling with the code and his polictical interventions have been a disaster. And the finances we cant say for sure but anecdotally - he's absolutely ruined it.

It was never user friendly however it has really gone to shit.

Constantly bombarded by 'culture war' stuff that I don't give a crap about.

They really want/need engagement numbers to rise so are trying to get people retweeting and posting more by getting them involved in all the shouting matches.

I like science, nature and astronomy but I have to go to individual persons/organisations pages to now see their tweets.

I see we got bored of this.

Just a little tidbit I heard, well enough sourced, thought some of you might enjoy it.

Remember the big story about Microsoft buying Open AI, who are responsible for Chat GPT? Well, it sounded like a good move to me, although, whilst they are currently gaining users quite strongly, and Google are suffering, I think they should be aiming a lot higher than 15% growth in users for Bing.

But the goss is this. The move was quite controversial, as Open AI had, as their name may suggests, been a non-profit organisation. Even if they aren't "open" to any useful extent (they don't release the vital components of the software at all).

Being non-profit, they were relying nearly entirely on donations.

Elon gave them $100m. When they released Chat GPT 3.5 a few months ago, it caused a huge fuss, and users flocked to the service. Elon must have thought his ship had come in. The money was running out really quickly, as they had to hire buildings full of servers so people like me could try out their product. Elon had predicted this, and said they could come back for another BILLION.

Now, Elon is not giving away a billion dollars to anyone. There's little doubt, he was looking to leverage their need for cash, and turn it into control and equity.

But then MS swooped in and trumped him. They could immediately provide the servers to Open AI, so cash was not an issue. Further, they agreed to pay a big old price to purchase the organisation, and get the chance to revamp their entire software lineup with the first generation of user friendly AI tools. They also have loads of experience in tailoring solutions for outside companies, and today we've seen the first batch of web commerce sites annoucing GPT powered functions on their sites.

It's classic Microsoft, the big swoop, timed to perfection. Elon cannot be sicker. He has absolutely no chance of getting his hands on the big prize, the mass market AI search / browser. He can hope Microsoft will sell it to him for use in Tesla's but that is not what he wanted, for sure.

Now it looks like Elon wants that 100m back. And today, Sam Altman (Open AI's key figure) is in the press saying he never took equity in the organisation, which - if true, and true of the rest of the board - means Elon is facing an uphill struggle to get a cent back. He faces a fairly strong possibility of ending up having shelled out $100m to develop Microsoft's killer app for them, getting no return whatsoever.
This is BS..He invested in Open Ai as he see's the danger that AI can pose to the world if unshackled. Being a big investor would give him a voice..the money is irrelevant to him...Microsoft otherwise known as his arch nemesis Bill Gates, have no such foresight in the dangers AI could pose and probably don't give a F*ck.

This is BS..He invested in Open Ai as he see's the danger that AI can pose to the world if unshackled. Being a big investor would give him a voice..the money is irrelevant to him...Microsoft otherwise known as his arch nemesis Bill Gates, have no such foresight in the dangers AI could pose and probably don't give a F*ck.
fucking hell that's just got me laughing mate, no offence but that's a right old mess of unlikely viewpoints and backpropogation/retcon. not what I expected from your quarter, although maybe I've got you mixed up with someone else.

he invested donkeys years ago. to stop AI? yeah... okay! he was majorly hyping AI's potential until just before MS bought Open AI. check his tweet history on the subject. Now it's evil and he's the responsible one? I mean... don't make me laugh. he's jealous, it took headlines off him, it's the big thing and he's not involved. as soon as he gets any AI product he'll be pushing it like crazy. Still, I could kinda accept it as a plausible viewpoint. But not that he was always only ever investing because he was worried about it. Jesus wept. That's some seriously contorted projectioneering. I hope you have a nice weekend, because it sounds like you might actually need it!

You do realise that Bill Gates has been talking about the dangers of AI for years, right?

You do realise that Bill Gates has been talking about the dangers of AI for years, right?

He's also been spouting the dangers of virus's for years and what do we get years later, after he's balls deep in the Pharma companies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.