Elon Musk buys and ruins Twitter

It's the 21st century problem for humanity. Social media simultaneously creates the greatest ever platform for freedom of speech/democratisation, as well as radicalisation and extremism. The opportunity to see every view and viewpoint in the world , but also only to be exposed to your own and people that agree with you. I don't pretend to know the answer.
Indeed. It offers extremists a bully pulpit they’ve never had — an enormous audience, instantaneous distribution, no editing, no accountability, anonymity. I haven’t always been successful, but I’ve tried not to post anything I wouldn’t say to someone’s face.

You're absolutely correct, but I think Twitter lends itself to the consumption I describe through its system of follows and likes. Inevitably most people end up in an ideological prism of their own construction. I suppose the same was true in the past when you chose what paper you read, but the interactive nature of Twitter makes it possible to construct your own (very narrow) world.

I’d agree with that too, which is why I made the point on how people choose to consume it. It’s also where facts become so important though, and why actions like what Musk did today (even if he deleted it) are so dangerous and why disinformation is so key.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. We’re in a world now where we’re still in the “everyone has had enough of experts” stage though and the internet and social media have amplified that even further in both people thinking their own opinion has more meaning because they have a louder voice and also being able to find perceived validity through incorrect facts online that back up that opinion.

A platform like twitter absolutely takes those behaviours to extremities for people that do act like that. If it didn’t exist though, they’d find the same thing elsewhere on the internet, that’s the world we live in now. The issue isn’t the platform itself, it’s how individuals consume it and how they choose to process it, and thats only going to change through behavioural education and getting back to a point of differentiating fact and opinion.

Now that he owns Twitter, Elon Musk has given employees their first ultimatum: Meet his deadline to introduce paid verification on Twitter or pack up and leave.

The directive is to change Twitter Blue, the company’s optional, $4.99 a month subscription that unlocks additional features, into a more expensive subscription that also verifies users, according to people familiar with the matter and internal correspondence seen by The Verge. Twitter is planning to charge $19.99 for the new Twitter Blue subscription, though that price is subject to change. Employees working on the project were told on Sunday that they need to meet a deadline of November 7th to launch the feature or they will be fired.

Now that he owns Twitter, Elon Musk has given employees their first ultimatum: Meet his deadline to introduce paid verification on Twitter or pack up and leave.

The directive is to change Twitter Blue, the company’s optional, $4.99 a month subscription that unlocks additional features, into a more expensive subscription that also verifies users, according to people familiar with the matter and internal correspondence seen by The Verge. Twitter is planning to charge $19.99 for the new Twitter Blue subscription, though that price is subject to change. Employees working on the project were told on Sunday that they need to meet a deadline of November 7th to launch the feature or they will be fired.

So much for not buying Twitter to make money then

Great I don't use it anymore so, think my only tweet since before COVID was wishing Steven and Nicola and little Ruben well.

It's the 21st century problem for humanity. Social media simultaneously creates the greatest ever platform for freedom of speech/democratisation, as well as radicalisation and extremism. The opportunity to see every view and viewpoint in the world , but also only to be exposed to your own and people that agree with you. I don't pretend to know the answer.

I don't think he has all the answers but Tristan Harris (ex Google) provides a good insider view to help understand the issues better.

As far as I can tell a large proportion of the planet is participating in a live experiment on the human brain being run by a relatively small number of people, with no meaningful consent and with little to no controls over said experiment or its potential consequences. This group of experimenters now includes the perfectly normal and stable businessman Elon Musk. I'm sure this will all work out very well, won't it?

I see Mr Wanker has been up to his usual shit tricks. Nancy Pelosis 87yr old husband was viciously attacked and ended up with a fractured skull. Wanker linked extreme posts to conspiracy theories that it wasn't a political attack it was someone he knew. He has now deleted his posts, presumably he's been advised.
The man is a shit stain that can't be removed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.