Elon Musk buys and ruins Twitter

Like the Blackpool illuminations, there'd be lots of people going cold Turkey looking for the next platform to explain their opinion to them.
Follow people like you,Iike opinions like yours and hey presto you are right about everything. Radicalisation (in the terrorist sense) doesn't depend on you being exposed to extreme views, it depends on you being exposed to only one view and Twitter is built for this. Does humanity as much good as opium and gin in times past.

It's a load of wank populated by needy nutters and the permanently offended. Musk would be doing humanity a favour if he just pulled the plug.
Yeah but it isn’t a sewer though — it’s a junk shop or an antique store or thrift store. I get a lot of very helpful information for my work from Twitter. I’ve become dependent on it as a news net or a bulletin board of sorts. Unlike with straight news sources, where I simply choose not to read editorials very often, it’s harder not to do that given how Twitter pushes tweets to the timeline. Its also immediate and bullet-pointy which is both a charm and a limitation. How the pushes work is something LinkedIn and Facebook are much more careful about, and no one that matters to me uses Facebook for work. So I have a vested interest in ensuring Twitter remains as “clean” as possible, which is harder to manage the way it works. However, this will force one to clean up who/what you follow I guess.

Yeah but it isn’t a sewer though — it’s a junk shop or an antique store or thrift store. I get a lot of very helpful information for my work from Twitter. I’ve become dependent on it as a news net or a bulletin board of sorts. Unlike with straight news sources, where I simply choose not to read editorials very often, it’s harder not to do that given how Twitter pushes tweets to the timeline. Its also immediate and bullet-pointy which is both a charm and a limitation. How the pushes work is something LinkedIn and Facebook are much more careful about, and no one that matters to me uses Facebook for work. So I have a vested interest in ensuring Twitter remains as “clean” as possible, which is harder to manage the way it works. However, this will force one to clean up who/what you follow I guess.
Do what you want - I'm not my brother's keeper etc. I get that it has some value, but so does asbestos.

But it really isn't is it? I take the platform as a sewer, it's not my sewer it's just a sewer and whoever owns it decides the decision it goes.

I stand by my echo chamber description, if people don't like the new owners direction then they can leave the platform, but ostentatiously swishing their frocks and announcing it, really?
I mean I agree announcing you’re leaving is kind of silly but that wasn’t what we were talking about. I am truly conflicted given 95 percent of my Twitter interactions aren’t about politics.

Yeah but it isn’t a sewer though — it’s a junk shop or an antique store or thrift store. I get a lot of very helpful information for my work from Twitter. I’ve become dependent on it as a news net or a bulletin board of sorts. Unlike with straight news sources, where I simply choose not read editorials, it’s harder not to do that given how Twitter pushes tweets to the timeline. Its also immediate and bullet-pointy which is both a charm and a limitation. How the pushes work is something LinkedIn and Facebook are much more careful about, and no one that matters to me uses Facebook for work. So I have a vested interest in ensuring Twitter remains as “clean” as possible, which is harder to manage the way it works. However, this will force one to clean up who/what you follow I guess.

The problem is that it's not just for you. Things change and you need to adapt and move on. Explaining why you like it doesn't explain your desire to control it by somehow wanting to control the content.

You can't understand why people think it's a stain on the web, it really is and you can't/wont see it.

I mean I agree announcing you’re leaving is kind of silly but that wasn’t what we were talking about. I am truly conflicted given 95 percent of my Twitter interactions aren’t about politics.

Sorta with you on that, but how many times have you seen Tweets on here accepted as truth?

Do what you want - I'm not my brother's keeper etc. I get that it has some value, but so does asbestos.
What I want is for Twitter to be as clean as possible and that could be a lot less likely under Musk given some of his actions the last 72 hours. But yes, if it deteriorates enough I’ll probably cut back my followed accounts to a few to curtail the risk of piss and shit pouring into my timeline.

The problem is that it's not just for you. Things change and you need to adapt and move on. Explaining why you like it doesn't explain your desire to control it by somehow wanting to control the content.

You can't understand why people think it's a stain on the web, it really is and you can't/wont see it.
No, I can completely see how people think that. I think the problem is you can’t see how it can be useful because you don’t use it. You’ve already reached your conclusion, and I haven’t.

What I want is for Twitter to be as clean as possible and that could be a lot less likely under Musk given some of his actions the last 72 hours. But yes, if it deteriorates enough I’ll probably cut back my followed accounts to a few to curtail the risk of piss and shit pouring into my timeline.
The problem is I suppose you either have something that is sanitised / censored beyond usefulness or a sort of cyber wild west. I'm sure there's a sweet spot in-between but it's difficult to find or define

No, I can completely see how people think that. I think the problem is you can’t see how it can be useful because you don’t use it. You’ve already reached your conclusion, and I haven’t.

I see the damage it causes with people crammed into their own corners by pre-set narratives. If it's going to have opinions on the platform it needs opening up completely and the faint of heart can maybe open a whatsapp group for like minded drones.

Then the rule of law should be applied, that's a bit tricky though because laws differ from country to country, it's a mess.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.