Emirates FA Cup Changes Ahead of 2024/25:

Can’t really see any negatives other than just automatically being against any change to tradition as a matter of principle.

The whole idea of a cup competition is the jeopardy of a one off tie.

I don’t see a non league club drawing with a Premier League team once every 20 years and being denied the opportunity of making a few quid on a replay, is much of an argument for having hundreds of other needless replays in between.

That’s not exactly the point is it? Why should the prem teams benefit to the detriment of hundreds of football club’s across the country. Let’s face it it’s the “big 6” once again calling the shots (and I include city in this) they don’t give a fuck about the history of the game in this country as was shown a few years ago on this very day.
I totally get it, but capitalism is losing its social conscience in all walks of business, football included.

Can’t really see any negatives other than just automatically being against any change to tradition as a matter of principle.

The whole idea of a cup competition is the jeopardy of a one off tie.

I don’t see a non league club drawing with a Premier League team once every 20 years and being denied the opportunity of making a few quid on a replay, is much of an argument for having hundreds of other needless replays in between.
There is other leagues than the premier league ffs. Just this year Horsham played at Barnsley and earned a replay that was then televised. Maidstone had their incredible run, Aldershot took Stockport to areplay that was televised and beat them to get a game away at West Brom, alfreton drew with walsall earning themselves a replay, cray drew to Charlton earned a replay and got a televised game. The money earned by these clubs from the extra gate receipts as well as the tv revenue makes a huge difference not to mention the memories for the fans of these clubs!

Lincoln a few years ago reached the quarter finals and used the money to get out of the conference and into league 1. That run included a few replays. There is more to football than the premier league

There is other leagues than the premier league ffs. Just this year Horsham played at Barnsley and earned a replay that was then televised. Maidstone had their incredible run, Aldershot took Stockport to areplay that was televised and beat them to get a game away at West Brom, alfreton drew with walsall earning themselves a replay, cray drew to Charlton earned a replay and got a televised game. The money earned by these clubs from the extra gate receipts as well as the tv revenue makes a huge difference not to mention the memories for the fans of these clubs!

Lincoln a few years ago reached the quarter finals and used the money to get out of the conference and into league 1. That run included a few replays. There is more to football than the premier league
PL teams could always forfeit the tie if they couldn’t be arsed with a replay.

Don’t have a problem with the scrapping replays element really, wish it happened years ago.
Re people asking why not keep them for Rounds 1 & 2, I’m assuming it’s because the lower league clubs think replays in those rounds don’t make much dough. Unless televised maybe, but the tv companies probably don’t want to do that anyway.

Things move on; not really a fan of things staying the same just for the sake of it. All this misty eyed waffle about “the Cup”. The football landscape is in a different place now. Cup Final Grandstand with David Coleman doesn’t start at 11.15am anymore. We don’t have the pleasure of Jimmy Tarbuk, Stuart Hall’s Cup Final It’s A Knockout, and David Davies on the team bus anymore. And thank fuck for that.

Deciding games first time of asking makes every round so much more exiting imho, a massive glut of tension, of high pressure footy across a range of games, with a full set of definitive outcomes; can’t wait.

Don’t have a problem with the scrapping replays element really, wish it happened years ago.
Re people asking why not keep them for Rounds 1 & 2, I’m assuming it’s because the lower league clubs think replays in those rounds don’t make much dough. Unless televised maybe, but the tv companies probably don’t want to do that anyway.

Things move on; not really a fan of things staying the same just for the sake of it. All this misty eyed waffle about “the Cup”. The football landscape is in a different place now. Cup Final Grandstand with David Coleman doesn’t start at 11.15am anymore. We don’t have the pleasure of Jimmy Tarbuk, Stuart Hall’s Cup Final It’s A Knockout, and David Davies on the team bus anymore. And thank fuck for that.

Deciding games first time of asking makes every round so much more exiting imho, a massive glut of tension, of high pressure footy across a range of games, with a full set of definitive outcomes; can’t wait.
The lower league clubs weren’t consulted in any of this. It was a decision made by the fa and the premier league only. As I posted above the replays in the early rounds are very lucrative to the many many clubs as is tv television money. It’s disgusting and it’s the same super league clubs calling the shots imo

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.