End of an era?

Now that the post Istanbul euphoria has settled down a little thoughts are obviously turning to next season and it seems that change is very much in the air. The futures of players who have been brilliant for us - Gundogan, Bernado, Walker, Laporte - are up in the air and I think some will definitely leave.

This, combined with earlier departures and the fact that the club has achieved the European success that it craved, seems to be a transitional moment. Obviously the fans want more trophies but is this now the time for radical revision of the playing staff to usher in a new era?

Not suggesting getting rid of the entire squad but the possible loss of Gundogan and Bernado plus KdB's advancing age and current injury mean that our midfield may look radically different next season and may take some time to click. Are City fans pragmatic enough to accept a transitional season if it sets the team up for the next five years or so?

Part of me thinks that a top 3 finish and good run in the domestic cups and Europe would be ok whilst we integrate new signings but another part looks at the domestic and European competition and thinks we could dominate again if we kept our two midfielders.

I think maybe I am a bit tired after last season - god knows how Pep, the staff and players feel and the latter get dragged out for these daft Internationals rather than being allowed to rest.

What are people's thoughts?
I’m thinking exactly the same. Whilst our first choice 11 shouldn’t be noticeably weaker with Foden and Alvarez in place of Gundo and Bernardo, I can see KDB missing more due to injury and the back up will include several new players who may take time to settle in.
On the other hand Erling could win it on his own if he continues improving!
Although we will still be pre-season favourites, I can easily see us coming second or third.

This will be the third rebuild pep has done ? I trust him and the others to do a good job . I dont like change , i would keep every player we have let go since 2012 , our legends that is , not the dross !

Got to trust in the recruitment at the club to keep this success going and the future strong. Winning on the pitch does make bringing in established talent as well as the top prospects easier but at the same time we need to keep the pathways to the first team open and visible to the current top youngsters in the fold (Palmer, Lewis, McAtee). That's the balancing act at the club just now, love watching it all unfold and here's hoping for another decade like the last one!

This will be the third rebuild pep has done ? I trust him and the others to do a good job . I dont like change , i would keep every player we have let go since 2012 , our legends that is , not the dross !
Maybe even fourth? Centurions/domestic treble, lockdown/false 9, this season's treble all seem like obvious and distinct teams where I can imagine the patterns of play and starting 11.

Now that the post Istanbul euphoria has settled down a little thoughts are obviously turning to next season and it seems that change is very much in the air. The futures of players who have been brilliant for us - Gundogan, Bernado, Walker, Laporte - are up in the air and I think some will definitely leave.

This, combined with earlier departures and the fact that the club has achieved the European success that it craved, seems to be a transitional moment. Obviously the fans want more trophies but is this now the time for radical revision of the playing staff to usher in a new era?

Not suggesting getting rid of the entire squad but the possible loss of Gundogan and Bernado plus KdB's advancing age and current injury mean that our midfield may look radically different next season and may take some time to click. Are City fans pragmatic enough to accept a transitional season if it sets the team up for the next five years or so?

Part of me thinks that a top 3 finish and good run in the domestic cups and Europe would be ok whilst we integrate new signings but another part looks at the domestic and European competition and thinks we could dominate again if we kept our two midfielders.

I think maybe I am a bit tired after last season - god knows how Pep, the staff and players feel and the latter get dragged out for these daft Internationals rather than being allowed to rest.

What are people's thoughts?
Speak for yourself!

I think we should be mindful to remember that every single player who is linked to a move away will not leave.

For example, I think Laporte, Cancelo, and Mahrez are as good as gone. (Laporte hurts but he has been immense and deserves a move if that is what he wants.)

Out of Bernardo and Gundogan, I think the club will only let one go.

Philips is likely to stay and fight for his place as the backup DM. But if he were to go, we would be in for another DM.

Similarly, I can’t see Walker going without us signing another RCB/RB.

So it’s not as if 8 players are suddenly leaving and we are left completely flat footed. We’re *not* going to have a massive drop in form. We have Haaland, Alvarez, Foden, Grealish, KDB, Rodri, Stones, Dias, Ake, Akanji, etc. all staying.

It will be sad to see of the older players going, but that is ok. How many players were in common between the Centurion season and this Treble season?

Trust in Txiki and Pep.

I think we should be mindful to remember that every single player who is linked to a move away will not leave.

For example, I think Laporte, Cancelo, and Mahrez are as good as gone. (Laporte hurts but he has been immense and deserves a move if that is what he wants.)

Out of Bernardo and Gundogan, I think the club will only let one go.

Philips is likely to stay and fight for his place as the backup DM. But if he were to go, we would be in for another DM.

Similarly, I can’t see Walker going without us signing another RCB/RB.

So it’s not as if 8 players are suddenly leaving and we are left completely flat footed. We’re *not* going to have a massive drop in form. We have Haaland, Alvarez, Foden, Grealish, KDB, Rodri, Stones, Dias, Ake, Akanji, etc. all staying.

It will be sad to see of the older players going, but that is ok. How many players were in common between the Centurion season and this Treble season?

Trust in Txiki and Pep.
Gundy is a free agent , we have no control over what he does

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.